Para 3; the best spyderco edc I've ever had.

Finally got a para 3.

I must say this is the "must have" EDC knife of our time.

When it first came out in December 2016,
I wasn't too crazy about it. The PM2 was already a short and kinda stubby blade.
I didn't see how making the blade shorter and stubbier was going to be an upgrade.
I Had no interest, until I had the para 3 in my hand, then I saw the genius of it.
(Alot of spydies are like that lol)
After getting it in my hand, I realized this is the paramilitary 2, but more refined for pure EDC.

In a nut shell, this knife is everything you love about the Pm2 and a Delica combined.
It's essentially a beefed up Delica but it's not as beefy as a Techno.
The para 3 is very robust, it's the same 4mm blade stock as the Pm2 but with a more rapid distal taper. I love the blade geometry. It's a perfect blend of precision and brute.
You have insane control of that laser like tip with the 3" blade.

Compared to a Paramilitary 2, it feels like the blade to handle ratio is betteras well. The biggest improvement is the chamfers on the scales at the edges.

it's well contoured and really feels great. The PM2 has a very "boxy" feel because of the sharp edges on the g10. It's funny because the full sized Millie doesn't have that issue either, it also has great contouring on the g10 edges.

Really this knife shines when being compared to a Delica, they are almost the exact same size, Expect the para 3 has more blade and handle height and is thicker and 1 ounce heavier.

The Para 3 has several advantages over a Delica as well, such better ergonomics for larger hands, crisper, smoother action (love the drop free bushing pivot)

While it will never be as light as a Delica or have the laser like precision of the thinner Delica blade. It definitely has it's advantages in the materials used, more Sharpening blade life thanks to the increased blade height compared to the Delica, it sports the 14mm spydie hole vs the 13mm on the Delica also with better finish (no sharp edges) and just better overall fit and finish.

I must say it's hard to choose one spyderco, but if I had to choose one that has all the flagship features that make a spyderco a spyderco and that can be carried for any wardrobe or occasion it would be the Para 3.

As far as things Id like to have seen for the Para 3 I must it carries very high. I'm definitely going to buy a MXG deep carry clip.

I would have really liked it if spyderco moved away from the S30v to either S35vn or even better, CPM 20cv which would have been perfect on this small blade.
I feel like times have changed since 2010 and it would have been great to usher in the new EDC champ with a new higher standard for the top EDC steel.
Ah but yes, S30v is fine, it would just be nice to get something different. Especially since alot of guys who bought the Para 3 already have a Pm2.

I remember when the Pm2 first came out and how exciting it was to get S30V for a $100 on a blade...if you could find a PM2 back then haha.

Wrapping this up, if you love Spyderco, you NEED a Para 3, it's beyond a want. Buy it.
This is one of the greatest Spydercos of our time. Great value, awesome steel options (can't wait till Maxemet) after market options such as micarta, g10, clips.
Get one.

I tend agree. Been loving carrying my S110V Para3. It's very much a contender for "perfect EDC".

For the pic hungry:

9goT6Bo.jpg

Totally agree! Nice write up! I’m fondling my Cruwear flavored Para 3 as we speak, the mailman was nice to me today! Perfection!

I'll admit that originally I was a little disappointed that the Para 3 wasn't going to be the fully scaled down PM2 that I envisioned. Even so I went ahead and pre-ordered one from the first batch. In fact, I actually ended up with two because I wasn't sure my pre-order would be filled and I got a little anxious. Once I had one in hand I still wasn't all that thrilled with it simply because I didn't like having to hold onto the raised end of the clip when closing the knife. A short Lynch clip took care of that issue. Now that S30V Para 3 is one of my most carried knives. It's not necessarily a looker but it sure is functional.

I also have Cruwear P3 that's even better than the first. Tough to do since the first one is near perfect. Haven't carried the second one much yet since I'm trying to decide what color to dye the (too light for me) grey scales.

I should have one Thursday, I ordered one with camo scales to match my para 2. After reading your review I'm excited to finally get one in my hands..

Finally got a para 3.

I must say this is the "must have" EDC knife of our time.

When it first came out in December 2016,
I wasn't too crazy about it. The PM2 was already a short and kinda stubby blade.
I didn't see how making the blade shorter and stubbier was going to be an upgrade.
I Had no interest, until I had the para 3 in my hand, then I saw the genius of it.
(Alot of spydies are like that lol)
After getting it in my hand, I realized this is the paramilitary 2, but more refined for pure EDC.

In a nut shell, this knife is everything you love about the Pm2 and a Delica combined.
It's essentially a beefed up Delica but it's not as beefy as a Techno.
The para 3 is very robust, it's the same 4mm blade stock as the Pm2 but with a more rapid distal taper. I love the blade geometry. It's a perfect blend of precision and brute.
You have insane control of that laser like tip with the 3" blade.

Compared to a Paramilitary 2, it feels like the blade to handle ratio is betteras well. The biggest improvement is the chamfers on the scales at the edges.

it's well contoured and really feels great. The PM2 has a very "boxy" feel because of the sharp edges on the g10. It's funny because the full sized Millie doesn't have that issue either, it also has great contouring on the g10 edges.

Really this knife shines when being compared to a Delica, they are almost the exact same size, Expect the para 3 has more blade and handle height and is thicker and 1 ounce heavier.

The Para 3 has several advantages over a Delica as well, such better ergonomics for larger hands, crisper, smoother action (love the drop free bushing pivot)

While it will never be as light as a Delica or have the laser like precision of the thinner Delica blade. It definitely has it's advantages in the materials used, more Sharpening blade life thanks to the increased blade height compared to the Delica, it sports the 14mm spydie hole vs the 13mm on the Delica also with better finish (no sharp edges) and just better overall fit and finish.

I must say it's hard to choose one spyderco, but if I had to choose one that has all the flagship features that make a spyderco a spyderco and that can be carried for any wardrobe or occasion it would be the Para 3.

As far as things Id like to have seen for the Para 3 I must it carries very high. I'm definitely going to buy a MXG deep carry clip.

I would have really liked it if spyderco moved away from the S30v to either S35vn or even better, CPM 20cv which would have been perfect on this small blade.
I feel like times have changed since 2010 and it would have been great to usher in the new EDC champ with a new higher standard for the top EDC steel.
Ah but yes, S30v is fine, it would just be nice to get something different. Especially since alot of guys who bought the Para 3 already have a Pm2.

I remember when the Pm2 first came out and how exciting it was to get S30V for a $100 on a blade...if you could find a PM2 back then haha.

Wrapping this up, if you love Spyderco, you NEED a Para 3, it's beyond a want. Buy it.
This is one of the greatest Spydercos of our time. Great value, awesome steel options (can't wait till Maxemet) after market options such as micarta, g10, clips.
Get one.

great design, but too small for my uses and likes.

nice write up. good detailing.

I agree. I was looking forward to this one since I love the PM2 so much. It is a very nice knife but not as comfortable feel wise for me, maybe too small for my likes as well. It sits next to the PM2 on the dresser and every morning I take his big brother instead. One of these days maybe I will force myself to carry it (lock up all my other choices) and give it a chance.

I agree. I was looking forward to this one since I love the PM2 so much. It is a very nice knife but not as comfortable feel wise for me, maybe too small for my likes as well. It sits next to the PM2 on the dresser and every morning I take his big brother instead. One of these days maybe I will force myself to carry it (lock up all my other choices) and give it a chance.
yeah. sometimes its not the knife its us. i just like bigger folders. sometimes ill carry a smaller folder and i realize it can do most of what i need it to and well. then i just gravitate back to the largers as i just like 'em more.

Excellent write up. Funny that this thread came up (for me) this morning. I have carried my PM2 for most days over the last year, but decided to give the PM3 another try this morning, after giving it sort of a "meh" reaction the day I got it. I love the PM2, and especially love how "small" it carries, for such a full-sized knife. But for whatever reason, for the moment at least, I'm liking the slightly smaller feel of the PM3 in my pocket today. And there's really not much that the PM2 does, that the PM3 won't do just as well, especially for an EDC knife.

Pics for my homies

This was a gift from my wife. (She's a keeper)

She got me the Cru-wear! Haha!
QJhQmnW.jpg

A quick primer on the steel.
Carbon Tool steels are the Muscle Cars of knife steels.
All performance, but only for the real aficionados of knife sharpening and cutting since alot of what you pay for and trade off for ease of maintenance would be wasted on someone who doesn't care.

Cru-wear is my favorite steel.
Why, it has the perfect balance of edge stability, toughness, razor edge holding, and ease of Sharpening at high levels without being super reactive.

Steels like M4 will have more edge holding but won't hone as fast as Cru-wear and m4 is less Tough and more reactive.

4v/v4e will outperform Cru-wear but is wayyy more reactive and not as fast to sharpen.

Cru-wear wants to be sharp. It takes a very crisp edge and holds that high, razor sharpness for a good while.

In someways it reminds me of Hitachi Aogami Super or better known as on the forums as "Super blue" of course nothing will ever sharpen as good as super blue haha
I know, I know, next Everyone wants to know how it compares to Maxemet, but it's not a good comparison because Maxemet is an extreme, Cru-wear is a balance. That's probably the best way to put it.

Compared to a Delica, what a great size, I LOVE the Delica
Btb5NrB.jpg

PM2 on the left, you can see you really don't lose that much blade length but the handle is chopped down for a purer EDC experience.

QnIAx8A.jpg

This is the most underrated, best feature of the Para 3 over the PM2 that no one has addressed or talked about.

PuJinhT.jpg

Look at that chamfer, it eliminates those boxy hot spots on the PM2 when doing some heavy duty cutting or carving.
So comfy.

jEscqv5.jpg

Meanwhile, on the PM2, look how pointy the corners are. Kills my hands when I'm gripping tight, very boxy.

zbajzvI.jpg

The Military also has the chamfers. I hope spyderco updates the CQI on the PM2.

Spyderco has quite a few folders with blade lengths of 2.9"-3" that somewhat compete with each other including the various Sage series with different locking mechanisms, Delica4, Native5, Para3 and even the discontinued Caly3 amongst others. I guess it comes down to overall size, locking mechanism and materials as to your personal preference. My favorite is still Native5.

I wish I could agree with the OP but I can't...the pocket clip location creates a hotspot in my hand. The PM2 doesn't and neither does the Delica...I like the Para 3 design but it just doesn't fit my hand that well.

Shawn,

Thank you for the lengthy review. I can’t warm up with Para 2 because of the boxy handle. I like bigger knives, so I carry Endura mostly. Probably sanding the G10 might work but I am not looking forward to it either. Unfortunately Military is liner lock and I like ambi knives, so I may stay with Endura for now. With my light usage, VG-10 is nice, and I have the ZDP for lengthy cutting sessions if it comes to that.

Again, thanks for the nice write up. :thumbsup:

Back