1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Para-Military in CTS-204P

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Dunny153, Dec 23, 2011.

1. FCM415

FCM415 Banned BANNED

Jul 9, 2012
    ... And I agree, loving the green and 204P combination.

Josh, you looking to get a second off of the 400? PM sent.

2. Somi

Somi

Mar 25, 2008
    It's true, but the processes aren't the same.
    Carpenter use 2nd gen Micro-Melting (MM) process, Bohler use 3rd gen Powder-Metallurgy (PM) process. MM is slightly better, because the powder diameter and the carbides diameter are smaller.

source: http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steeltec.shtml

3. bh49

bh49

Dec 27, 2005
    I always loved dark green. This was the primary reason why I bought Stag Arms Manix. I love my Lil T. I can only wish that Spyderco would use this color G10 more frequently and bring back the same finish like on Lil T.

4. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    Test results from Jim Ankerson's massive thread:

5. nccole

nccole

Jun 2, 2011
    I wouldn't be surprised at all if you could replicate the Southard and PM2 blade and edge geometry that the PM2 would outperform the Southard. At least I can hope that to justify the extra time waiting:D I just attribute the extra time all to refined heat treating! I do want more CTS-204P for sure.

6. EZ Bake

EZ Bake

Mar 5, 2009
    Damn - so it does have better edge retention than the Blue Para (if I'm reading it correctly - is the Blue Para the M390 rated at 60rc in category 2?)...

Interesting, I would not have guessed that. That's why I'm glad we have folks who take the time to do stuff like that - thanks Ankerson!

7. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    As I read the results, they are likely in the same category with no meaningful difference in performance. What you need to know is that the M390 in Cat2 is NOT a Spyderco knife. ;) I asked, and Jim answered, that question somewhere in the 8 trillion posts in that thread. :D

8. EZ Bake

EZ Bake

Mar 5, 2009
    That makes sense - and yeah, I avoid going any further in that thread than I have to - the OP is all I need :)

9. JNewell

JNewell

Nov 18, 2005
    Chicken. There's only 687 posts before your post. :biggrin: