Para-Military in CTS-204P

Seeing how 20CP tested out virtually identically with S90V gave me confidence that 204P would also be virtually identical to M390.

Exactly. The P2 20CP was the sleeper that surprised a lot of folks with its performance. What's not to like about a completely US-made knife that performs like M390 at a better price point? Carpenter is bringing its "A" game, that's for sure.

Agreed - that's why I went ahead with a pair.

So far for me (and others), the CTS family of steel is performing very well and living up to their "hype". I hope carpenter and spyderco hit another homerun with this steel :D

Agreed - that's why I went ahead with a pair.

I'm happy that spyderco is making this 204P and i was able to get my order in before they were sold. i missed out on the M390 (bento doesn't ship to NY). personally i like the way CTS steels take an edge opposed to their crucible counter parts, it will be interesting to see how this steel compares to bohler's M390.

Jim, sent you an email. Not sure how well that works via BF.

Last edited:
Just curious if anyone sees Carpenter as taking other companies' steel concoctions and simply copying them or tweaking them very little? Then of course selling them cheaper because they did not do as much development work. I do not have that opinion since I do not know the steel industry and it seems as if everyone has a version of everyone's steel. I do not know if you patent steels, it seems like that is not the case but rather the process like CPM. I read through the thread about the 777 getting knocked off (do not remember details, Microtech maybe), and kind of wonder why Carpenter receives praise rather than not for having steels that are basically the same as other steels from other companies. Again, not really critiquing (I pre-ordered one) just wondering.

Just curious if anyone sees Carpenter as taking other companies' steel concoctions and simply copying them or tweaking them very little? Then of course selling them cheaper because they did not do as much development work. I do not have that opinion since I do not know the steel industry and it seems as if everyone has a version of everyone's steel. I do not know if you patent steels, it seems like that is not the case but rather the process like CPM. I read through the thread about the 777 getting knocked off (do not remember details, Microtech maybe), and kind of wonder why Carpenter receives praise rather than not for having steels that are basically the same as other steels from other companies. Again, not really critiquing (I pre-ordered one) just wondering.

Nope, not really. If crucible can't make enough s90v or whatever to fill the demand, I'm all for somebody else doing it.

Kicking myself for missing out on this one. If any of you that got two that missed the carbon fiber and m390 military and would be interested in a trade deal come July, let me know!

If any of you that got two that missed the carbon fiber and m390 military and would be interested in a trade deal come July, let me know!

The place to talk about trades is the link below.
If you hold on to that M390 untill these start coming in I'm sure you will have no problem at all in trade. The M390's will be much harder to get by then, and you will come out very well in a trade come July. You won't need it, but good luck!

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/756-Trading-Forums

The place to talk about trades is the link below.
If you hold on to that M390 untill these start coming in I'm sure you will have no problem at all in trade. The M390's will be much harder to get by then, and you will come out very well in a trade come July. You won't need it, but good luck!

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/756-Trading-Forums

I'm sure someone who got 2 will do a trade with you. Although many get 2 to have one to use and one to hold as a collector. I just got one of the orange and the green and plan to use both as I am more of a using collector LOL.

Kicking myself for missing out on this one. If any of you that got two that missed the carbon fiber and m390 military and would be interested in a trade deal come July, let me know!

I have two coming of this and missed the boat on the CF M390 so I would be interested in getting one!

i missed out on the CF M390 millie, i only ordered one 204P para2, but i do have a spare 20CP (gray handle) para2...

Back