• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

PayPal friends and family

On the topic: terrible idea which breaks all sort of rules putting but strangely still not foul of the Exchange rules!

Buyer: you will be giving away your self interest and leverage in the transaction, in case the item is not as-described. Further, the seller is currently a paid member here (although he was in the past), so your transaction can not be completed on the Exchange here and the seller is not even allowed to be soliciting business in here with his current membership status. However it could very well be the the case that the buyer reached out to the seller regarding an unsold item or perhaps on another platform like IG which spilled over here because both are resisted on BF.

Seller: you've been a member for almost 3 years but only have 16 posts to your name almost all either buying or selling with the exception of a few posts in this thread today. While true that post numbers and contents are irrelevant to membership as long as they follow the rules of the Site, you don't exactly inspire confidence to be calling the shots in a $1200 transaction demanding F&F!

Well there are other forums then BF haha...
I havent listed the knife for sale either.
Hes been asking about it and i asked if he wanted to make a offer.

With no to vouch i dont ship... thats my call.

I hate wading into these issues :p

I'm one of those that would vouch for Smiler - we've done at least $5K worth of business together - no issues whatsoever. He mostly deals via IG.

That being said, I still can't support F&F in this. Mainly because, there is another possible scam (with a long thread on this forum) where a buyer did the following:
  1. Buy with F&F
  2. Pay PayPal via a credit card (they get charged an extra fee, to cover processing costs)
  3. Dispute the charge with the credit card company, saying the item was never received, or the purchase wasn't authorized
Credit card companies will almost always side with the cardholder, as that is after all their customer. PayPal won't get involved since it was F&F. It's actually a neater scam than claiming "not received" with PayPal, since PayPal will actually bother to investigate.

Smiler is in Sweden. Assuming the knife is going to the US, it'll be treated as Registered Mail by the USPS, so a "not received" claim wouldn't fly. I'd recommend boxing the knife at the Swedish post office, in front of an employee, and taking photos, to protect against any "not as described" claims.

With no to vouch i dont ship... thats my call.
You do not have to sell to him
You do not have to sell on BF if you don't care to
But I would take your use of PP F&F a lot more serious if I were you. You seem to like playing in the knife buying and selling and if PP gets wind that you are cheating them , they will shut you down. Being out of the US is hard enough as it is, no PP and it is almost dead in the water. What are you going to do-all transactions need to be bank transfers?
If you dislike paying the fees that much , just fold them into the price.

Ive asked if anyone can vouch for the buyer... and he cant name one.
I have 50+ people that can vouch for me.

Thats the issue...

No that is not the "issue" ... you requesting F&F is ...

If you don't trust the individual you can refuse to sell the item to this buyer ... and sell it to who ever you choose ...

if that's the case then tell them straight out you won't sell it to them ... and you can WAIT until a buyer that you want to sell to wants your item ...

but requesting F&F makes you look horrible and is frowned upon ... but even more than that ... you will alienate most of the BF community from dealing with you ...

P.S. by your attitude and your standing in BF ... it may be the buyer that should be requesting someone to vouch for you ....

and yeah I'm kinda in agreement that you selling several places is probably a good thing ... because after this thread I highly doubt you'll sell much here ...

Last edited:
Well he could have said he had someone to vouch when i asked...

But no!

We talked on Ig about this deal and no mention about other forums.

This got way out of proportion... il keep the knife for now.

Il explain again.... for g&s i needed him to get someone to vouch for him.

He couldnt so no deal g&s.

Ive asked if anyone can vouch for the buyer... and he cant name one.
I have 50+ people that can vouch for me.

Thats the issue...

No, I believe you're the issue. Your behavior is indicative of a scam, not to mention you're circumventing the entire purpose of what Paypal was intended for.

Back