Photos: Daily WIP thread

Discussion in 'Razor Edge Knives' started by razor-edge-knives, Jul 6, 2019.

1. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    Here's another Chaves 228 I re-bladed in M390 with a compound Tanto grind, full satin finish!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Fullflat, JJ_Colt45, Sharps and 8 others like this.
  2. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Boy that’s not half bad.:confused: Really like that hollow blending int the tip.

3. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Josh, this is quite possibly the most beautiful folder and pic of same I have ever seen. Sublime work. Truly.

No hyperbole here despite my intimate familiarity with the phenomenon.

4. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks so much Ken!

5. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    . . . my screen saver since Sunday.

You are most welcome, Josh!

I was not familiar with Chaves knives, so I checked into them just a bit. (It is possible I don't "get out" much.)

I am assuming those are your grinds in the re-bladed Damasteel, right, Josh? Really superb work and the photography is top drawer, too, showing off your skills to advantage. Nicely done all around.

Not being familiar enough with Chaves to tell, have you worked your magic on the frame and furniture, etc on that one and the next one you featured as well? I am not familiar with Chaves' finishes (and I am assuming these are on the original, higher-end Chaves, and not the midtechs (?)).

I have to admit to being a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Damascus, pattern-welded, and/or folded & welded blade steel in the Japanese tradition (love a rich mokume or a subtle itame hada rendered out of oroshigane). Never really took to these super "clean" and bright modern "damasteels" and their like.

But this. You got my attention and I am re-evaluating my aesthetic position. A rare feat, I might add ;

Wonder what you could do with a Sangre Street Flipper . . . (I loves Wharnies!) . . . ;):cool:

Fullflat, Sharp & Fiery and woodysone like this.
  6. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Yep! The entire reblade is my work, including the grinds. Basically started with a bar of damasteel :)

I didn't have anything to do with the finishes or hardware on the frame... So yeah I don't think these are the Mid-tech 228's hehe

I dunno! could be a fun project in the future!

7. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Just finished this ZT 0470 up... really looks like a shiro w/ out any of the writing on it! lol

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Sharp & Fiery

Sharp & Fiery Always Embellish Platinum Member

May 14, 2012
    Looks great!!!

9. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Was busy today!!

Sterilized and hand-rubbed a Pena X trapper and bronzed the screws
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then gave some plain jane scales a tree bark texture, sandblast, and heat ano bronze

Here you can see with just the raw blast and then the anodizing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally I did some detent work and rit dye but nothing really photo worthy :)

10. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    That Pena looks especially amazing.

11. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Finished up this @jakehobackknives Kwaiback the other day, sculpted the flats, acid washed, then compound grind :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BilboBaggins, WValtakis, mb> and 5 others like this.
  12. woodysone

woodysone Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2005
    You seam to have mastered the hollow to the reenforced tip. Love the appearance. Too cool!:eek::)

13. Sharp & Fiery

May 14, 2012
    I agree with Martin, those are some nice grinds, Josh. And the sculpting just sets the whole thing on fire.

14. razor-edge-knives

Apr 3, 2011
    Thanks so much guys!

Finished out this Emerson CQC15 the other day!

ps. what do you guys think of my new photo backgrounds? got them from lowes the other week :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Backgrounds look great Josh. :thumbsup:

razor-edge-knives likes this.