The REK daily discussion thread :)

Here's another Chaves 228 I re-bladed in M390 with a compound Tanto grind, full satin finish!

i-GL73Bdx-X2.jpg
i-G3nQmsG-X2.jpg

Hope everyone is doing well and not going crazy or losing your job during these weird times! I plan on keeping going hard until there's no work left :)

Chaves 228 reblade in Thor damasteel with a dark etch

i-zXJcHvW-X2.jpg

i-wVFVZTs-X2.jpg

Josh, this is quite possibly the most beautiful folder and pic of same I have ever seen. Sublime work. Truly.

No hyperbole here despite my intimate familiarity with the phenomenon.

Thanks so much Ken!

. . . my screen saver since Sunday.

You are most welcome, Josh!

I was not familiar with Chaves knives, so I checked into them just a bit. (It is possible I don't "get out" much.)

I am assuming those are your grinds in the re-bladed Damasteel, right, Josh? Really superb work and the photography is top drawer, too, showing off your skills to advantage. Nicely done all around.

Not being familiar enough with Chaves to tell, have you worked your magic on the frame and furniture, etc on that one and the next one you featured as well? I am not familiar with Chaves' finishes (and I am assuming these are on the original, higher-end Chaves, and not the midtechs (?)).

I have to admit to being a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Damascus, pattern-welded, and/or folded & welded blade steel in the Japanese tradition (love a rich mokume or a subtle itame hada rendered out of oroshigane). Never really took to these super "clean" and bright modern "damasteels" and their like.

But this. You got my attention and I am re-evaluating my aesthetic position. A rare feat, I might add ;

Wonder what you could do with a Sangre Street Flipper . . . (I loves Wharnies!) . . . ;):cool:

. . . my screen saver since Sunday.

You are most welcome, Josh!

I was not familiar with Chaves knives, so I checked into them just a bit. (It is possible I don't "get out" much.)

I am assuming those are your grinds in the re-bladed Damasteel, right, Josh? Really superb work and the photography is top drawer, too, showing off your skills to advantage. Nicely done all around.

Not being familiar enough with Chaves to tell, have you worked your magic on the frame and furniture, etc on that one and the next one you featured as well? I am not familiar with Chaves' finishes (and I am assuming these are on the original, higher-end Chaves, and not the midtechs (?)).

I have to admit to being a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to Damascus, pattern-welded, and/or folded & welded blade steel in the Japanese tradition (love a rich mokume or a subtle itame hada rendered out of oroshigane). Never really took to these super "clean" and bright modern "damasteels" and their like.

But this. You got my attention and I am re-evaluating my aesthetic position. A rare feat, I might add ;

Wonder what you could do with a Sangre Street Flipper . . . (I loves Wharnies!) . . . ;):cool:

Yep! The entire reblade is my work, including the grinds. Basically started with a bar of damasteel :)

I didn't have anything to do with the finishes or hardware on the frame... So yeah I don't think these are the Mid-tech 228's hehe

I dunno! could be a fun project in the future!

Was busy today!!

Sterilized and hand-rubbed a Pena X trapper and bronzed the screws
i-nMdd7Cn-X2.jpg
i-vVtZVrB-X2.jpg

Then gave some plain jane scales a tree bark texture, sandblast, and heat ano bronze

Here you can see with just the raw blast and then the anodizing

i-VsLk577-XL.jpg

i-JK3PLNW-XL.jpg

And finally I did some detent work and rit dye but nothing really photo worthy :)

Was busy today!!

Sterilized and hand-rubbed a Pena X trapper and bronzed the screws
i-nMdd7Cn-X2.jpg
i-vVtZVrB-X2.jpg

Then gave some plain jane scales a tree bark texture, sandblast, and heat ano bronze

Here you can see with just the raw blast and then the anodizing

i-VsLk577-XL.jpg

i-JK3PLNW-XL.jpg

And finally I did some detent work and rit dye but nothing really photo worthy :)

That Pena looks especially amazing.

Alrighty!! Here we go. First up I drilled out the corby bolt and removed it

i-4rRNzVL-X2.jpg

A little heat and was able to pop the scales right off

i-9sVRfbz-X2.jpg

i-PMKvz5m-X2.jpg

Next up I drilled holes in the Coconut fiber scales, mounted, and rough ground. Big thing here was getting the chamfers on the blade side correct PRIOR to glue up (not much can be done after!)

i-PFppKKk-X2.jpg

Then went ahead and crowned the spine

i-VgnvNS9-X2.jpg

And it's ready for glue up!! Coleman wanted to go with a bronze theme and we picked a nice mosaic pin to go w/ the lanyard tube.

i-C4hr4vD-X2.jpg

Then after the epoxy was dried (next day) I did the final sanding to 400-600 grit for comfy matte finish

i-Tdt3g9v-X2.jpg

i-7wz7xXr-X2.jpg

i-bVk3tx3-X2.jpg
i-2D44rW5-X2.jpg
i-wf9nhCX-X2.jpg

Back