Photos! Post your CPK photos here!

The first batch of Utility Fighters (years ago) had tool marks. Last year's batch also had tool marks. They were "true to form" of the original. This new batch has fewer tool marks, in part due to a 15,000 pound Mori Seiki machining center doing a better job than the 9,000 pound Bridgeport mill I used to have (which was still a damn site better than a Haas) but we're also adding an extra cut and giving them a real quick kiss on the grinder before tumbling.

The idea behind the pattern (and CPK) was primarily good bang for the buck and high performance. An excellent tool. It wasn't intended to be a highly polished piece. But I recognize that people want it to be pretty. And throwing a few bucks at something non-functional like the aesthetics of the grind is still a part of optimizing the value of the knife for people. I added $10 and went from a rougher and finisher endmills to a rougher, finisher and a fresh cutter for a spring pass, the new Mori, and a few passes on a grinder. The end result isn't functionally different but it does look nicer and I think that does matter to people. I bumped the price $10 to do this. Folks on the pre-order are getting it at no extra charge.

I'm focused on providing cutting tools (and in this case a weapon) that perform at the highest standards by utilizing the finest materials and processes and design and engineering and putting money where it matters and keeping costs affordable by not sinking money where it doesn't. But, going forward, if I spend a few minutes and a belt or two grinding and make a nicer looking piece I'm going to. I think people want that.

They were already pretty good looking knives, if I do say so myself, simply because competent manufacturing and avoiding shortcuts tends to make nice looking work. But there was still some low hanging fruit...
I REALLY like the sounds of this!

Thanks, Nathan. :thumbsup:

The first batch of Utility Fighters (years ago) had tool marks. Last year's batch also had tool marks. They were "true to form" of the original. This new batch has fewer tool marks, in part due to a 15,000 pound Mori Seiki machining center doing a better job than the 9,000 pound Bridgeport mill I used to have (which was still a damn site better than a Haas) but we're also adding an extra cut and giving them a real quick kiss on the grinder before tumbling.

The idea behind the pattern (and CPK) was primarily good bang for the buck and high performance. An excellent tool. It wasn't intended to be a highly polished piece. But I recognize that people want it to be pretty. And throwing a few bucks at something non-functional like the aesthetics of the grind is still a part of optimizing the value of the knife for people. I added $10 and went from a rougher and finisher endmills to a rougher, finisher and a fresh cutter for a spring pass, the new Mori, and a few passes on a grinder. The end result isn't functionally different but it does look nicer and I think that does matter to people. I bumped the price $10 to do this. Folks on the pre-order are getting it at no extra charge.

I'm focused on providing cutting tools (and in this case a weapon) that perform at the highest standards by utilizing the finest materials and processes and design and engineering and putting money where it matters and keeping costs affordable by not sinking money where it doesn't. But, going forward, if I spend a few minutes and a belt or two grinding and make a nicer looking piece I'm going to. I think people want that.

They were already pretty good looking knives, if I do say so myself, simply because competent manufacturing and avoiding shortcuts tends to make nice looking work. But there was still some low hanging fruit...

Thanks for this update Nathan. Like other replies above, I am very pleased to hear that you are tweaking the process to add extra steps to improve the blade finish on the end product. Even though you make the best engineered knives (“tools”) on the planet, nice cosmetics play an important role in showing your attention to detail right to the end. Cosmetics also contribute to the owner’s pride of ownership.

Many years ago I ran the kitchen at a good sized restaurant. I constantly had to stay on my cooks to make sure that the plate presentation of each meal was the best it could be because the extra level of care from that detail significantly influenced the customers’ perception of the whole dining experience. Even though the food may be the same, people will tell you that it doesn’t taste the same if the presentation looks like the cook just slapped it somewhat carelessly on a plate.

That analogy is especially noticeable to regular customers who are used to a certain quality of plate presentation (or blade surface finish) when there is an obvious change or lessening from prior standards. The coarser blade finish on many of the UFK’s stood out from the finish work we loyal customers had become accustomed to based on your prior work such as the HDFK’s.

I very much appreciate that you heard and responded to that feedback from a number of loyal customers in a very proactive and caring way. I don’t think you are going to lose any customers because of a moderate $$ price increase to provide a more visually appealing finely finished tool.

Thanks! :)

Phil

of my 3 EDCs, this one spends all its time in one place. It's used for cutting zip ties, cardboard, and other stuff, deburring aluminum etc. Note the high tech bench stand
z5LYIAS.jpg

Batoned/Split a bunch of kindling for the fire tonight and my neighbor thought I was absolutely insane doing what I was doing with my FK2. I haven’t had the balls to show him the 16 penny nail or concrete block yet..maybe soon. Low light and same picture with a flash.
RczLF30.jpg

W2njXTU.jpg

And I showed him I was still shaving arm hair after splitting all that wood.

20190828_174202.jpg

My own personal Behemoth and perhaps my favorite knife. I love this knife. And I have beat the hell out of it and it just keeps asking for more. And the sheath by Grog. A great pair that have held up to me and keep asking for more.

This is the only knife that I have ever been able to five hit a two-by-four with.

I'm probably in the minority but I like the finish with tooling marks ... I plan on using them anyway so a satin finish or even just cleaning it up a little would be lost on me ...

but if they come out all purdy ... I can manage to make them appear less finished in due time ...

View attachment 1186946

My own personal Behemoth and perhaps my favorite knife. I love this knife. And I have beat the hell out of it and it just keeps asking for more. And the sheath by Grog. A great pair that have held up to me and keep asking for more.

This is the only knife that I have ever been able to five hit a two-by-four with.

I love seeing the dings on the sheath and that it's still looking good and going strong. Can't make leather like Delta 3V but it's good to see it holding up.

Back