Picked up a 110 slim pro

Review/some thoughts...
And I will point this out ahead of time, that I am a biased toward Buck knives. They are my favorite, even though I really like Case and Benchmade and Spyderco. Went to deercamp on Sunday-Tuesday to do some smallmouth fishing and took only my slim pro 110 to try it out:

I know I've said this about my last several buck knives, but i think this one really is my favorite knife of any knife I own. I've read and watched alot of reviews on the 110 and 112 slim pros so i knew some things to look for. The first one I looked at had one issue, not perfectly centered. The second one I looked at was the one I bought. I didn't have to wade through 50 boxes to find one without issues, and based on the date on my box, 8/2018, it should be one of the very first versions. Zero blade play in any direction, solid lockup, perfectly centered, no gaps, a nice tight knife. I know alot of people don't like the pocket clip, but it is tight and solid. With the shorter clip, feels less likely to snag and I don't think you could bend it under most conditions. Feels like a solid, bullet proof pocket clip.

I see what people say about the thumbstuds. Could have been moved out a little for better access and mine isn't a flipper by any means and I find myself pinching it most of the time to open, but the thumbstuds are functional. Fishing in some tight cover and caught a nice smallmouth that had crossed my sons line and made a tangled mess. Had the fish in one hand still flopping and fighting and needed to just cut the line and when you have a flopping fighting fish by the lip in one hand, the knife in the other(you know how it is) the thumbstuds work. Not a flipper by any means, but good one hand capabilities when you need it.
Screw together would have been nice, but Buck has been making a pinned 110 for 55 years, so this is not an issue with me. I usually carry Buck, Case but when I carry a more modern one hand knife it's usually a griptilian, but sometimes a mini crooked river or a spyderco endura or delica. If you want a modern knife(pocket clip and thumbstuds) that feels more like an outdoorsy type of knife rather than tactical, you would like this knife.

The only small "issues" that aren't really issues I have is that Hunter/OD shades of greens are my favorite color and I wish it was a little darker green. (I've read where micarta darkens with age so hoping for a nice dark green with time?) Also, I wish the 110 and the date code were stamped on the tang rather than laser etched. I don't have much experience with long term laser etched knives and not sure if it could wear off in the future from opening and closing? If it never wears off, I won't have an issue with it.

After taxes, it cost around $99 and for my tastes, I like it more than I like my Benchmade Mini Crooked River that cost around $200. The Benchmade would get the nod for many folks in that it screws together, if that is important to you, and the pivot can be adjusted. I would rank it just as good as my Spyderco Enduras and Delicas that are in the same price range, where the Buck feels more like a hunting knife and the Spyderco's would get the nod again for a lot of folks that want a screw together knife.

I'm really glad Buck made this knife! It might not be for everyone, but if you are like me and grew up with a Buck knife and got more into modern knives with different steels along the way, you will like this knife. Sure would have saved me alot of money if Buck would have made this knife 15 years ago, but better late than never.

Last edited:
I'm glad you like your knife, I thought that you would. I too am a Buck enthusiast, but they've made some knives that even in my enthusiasm I still can't overlook the deficiencies. The Slims live up to everything I expect from Buck.

Ive been carrying one for about 3 days now, in place of my 486 which i have grown extremely fond of.
The thumb stud on the 486 works great, so i am contemplating a single finger groove on the slim pro to ease access to the thumb stud.

I'm glad you like your knife, I thought that you would. I too am a Buck enthusiast, but they've made some knives that even in my enthusiasm I still can't overlook the deficiencies. The Slims live up to everything I expect from Buck.
Not sure your point here..

I hope these have a long run and are a mainstay. I really liked the paperstone 110s and 112s of a few years ago, but they were short-lived. I think I like these slims even better.

Not sure your point here..
Buck developed a reputation years ago by making a superior product. They still make some great knives, but I have handled many disappointments from Buck in the last 25 years. The Odyssey, the Spitfire and every LT I've handled were, how to put this mildly, right rubbish. The Slims are the quality knives like the Bucks that got me started carrying them 45 years ago. I like Buck Knives, but I won't be loyal to a name without the quality that it stood for.

The quality is still there, Back in the day materials were simpler and so were the designs.
Cheap overseas competition has ate away at entry level product quality. I mean an LT is 20 bucks. Spit fire is 25 bucks and they already fixed the Spitfire so if you dont stay current the improvements will pass you by. Expressing an opinion on something that is no longer in production or has had improvements is useless. The slims have been a great product for Buck. So has most of what they do. First class service, Made in the USA, and great quality.

Where else can you build your own knife........ What other company offers as many custom options as Buck. none. so no disappointments for me or most of the people on here. I just dont think its fair to go off on Buck for designs that have been improved or eliminated.

Buck now has the ability to build precision parts on a prototype for testing, this will eliminate quite a few of the initial problems with new models. the one I tested a month ago has a very complicated pivot assembly. Im telling you it worked beautifully and flawlessly.

The quality is still there
Yes it is, in some cases. The classic 110, 112, 500, the Marksman are all well built knives and there are others. I was excited about the LTs and got three knives with extreme levels of blade play. Then I got a Slim and it works as perfectly as my classic 112.
Buck now has the ability to build precision parts on a prototype for testing, this will eliminate quite a few of the initial problems with new models.
That's good to hear. Perhaps that is why the Slims are so well executed. I'm looking forward to getting an LT after design improvements are implemented.

Reactions: AF
Yes it is, in some cases. The classic 110, 112, 500, the Marksman are all well built knives and there are others. I was excited about the LTs and got three knives with extreme levels of blade play. Then I got a Slim and it works as perfectly as my classic 112.

That's good to hear. Perhaps that is why the Slims are so well executed. I'm looking forward to getting an LT after design improvements are implemented.
Why say some cases?

As in a minority.

It is a plastic 20 dollar knife that uses a bushing instead of washers and is riveted together. 20 bucks isnt alot of money but buys two years of a BF membership.

Deleted to not divert attn away from the title of the thread.

... but the thumbstuds are functional. Fishing in some tight cover and caught a nice smallmouth that had crossed my sons line and made a tangled mess. Had the fish in one hand still flopping and fighting and needed to just cut the line and when you have a flopping fighting fish by the lip in one hand, the knife in the other(you know how it is) the thumbstuds work. Not a flipper by any means, but good one hand capabilities when you need it.

This was my favorite part. Been there, done that. One hand opening knife, very helpful :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Here is a quick question. This is my first knife with micarta scales on it. I noticed the upper half of one side is turning blue and realized I have on new jeans and the blue jeans is bleeding into my knife. I'm not where I can try to get it out, and its not a big deal, and it looks kind of good. Does this wash out?

I have had good luck washing Micarta with dish soap and a good brush. Thanks for the review I’m going to order one.

Bass Pro Shops have the Buck 110 and 112 Slim Select (plastic handle) on sale right now for $25.

I ordered a 110 slim pro brown micarta yesterday. I first got a couple 112 slims for my grandkids and I was impressed with them but I wanted a bit more blade on mine and I like micarta and these look so nice. I was waiting for SK blades offering but couldn’t pass on the factory price reductions going on now and even got another 055.

I don’t really need another 110 but maybe this one will be a contender for my edc work knife up against my vantage pro 20cv. I’ll probably rotate if it fits my pocket nicely so I guess we’ll see.

There’s times when I need more blade but not everyday and I usually prefer a folded length of 4 3/8 or shorter for pocket carry so this might take some getting used to.

I carried the slim in place of my 486 a few days and as mentioned the thumb stud is not as easily utilized as it could be, and compared to the 486.
So I put it on the belt sander with slight notch it is just as accessible now and barely noticeable.Buck 110 slim pro brown (1).jpg Buck 110 slim pro brown (2).jpg Buck 110 slim pro brown (3).jpg

Back