Picture Thread

My Improved Bowie just came in, and my wife immediately put it to use tonight. What an amazing knife! Thank you John!!

OveHUUK.jpg

UE30uPg.jpg

Had some help today doing some tarp shelter building with the Hudson Bay. Works great as a draw knife to take off bark pretty quickly and it cleans up the knots to smooth things out nicely for a good log to work with. Hoping to get it lashed on and tarped over tomorrow as I ran out light once the helper decided it was time for a break.

Q94HVWNl.jpg

q98JyNRl.jpg

adyXzdAl.jpg

Had some help today doing some tarp shelter building with the Hudson Bay. Works great as a draw knife to take off bark pretty quickly and it cleans up the knots to smooth things out nicely for a good log to work with. Hoping to get it lashed on and tarped over tomorrow as I ran out light once the helper decided it was time for a break.

Q94HVWNl.jpg

q98JyNRl.jpg

adyXzdAl.jpg

Finished, for now at least. Must bigger spot of rain coverage in the "playhouse".

IiGINJul.jpg

Toggle tie-down for the entry side.
IQNI5Ool.jpg

There's still a gap in the ceiling because of how I laid the 2-tarps out but on dry days it's nice to be able to see out some when we're mostly after wind protection while "hiding" from Mom.
nStKLOAl.jpg

UqGzPb6l.jpg

qstweALl.jpg

Looks like a fun time with your son!

The hours we spent dragging wood around all summer, cutting, sawing, and tying has been a blast. He certainly makes it a longer process and drags you away to play something else but it was all good times while still getting to practice some shelter construction techniques. And, it's quite a unique thing to see in the backyard of a suburban home, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Q94HVWNl.jpg

q98JyNRl.jpg

adyXzdAl.jpg

Where did you get that rack for cutting logs? I like that design.

Jeff

Last edited:
Thanks, do you remember it being difficult to assemble?

Jeff

Quite simple. Dozen bolts and screws or so. The tricky part is the metal is a bit sharp as it's roughly finished from sheet metal. It's surprisingly sturdy while not weighing a ton. It works a lot better than the wood one I had used prior that I made. The metal teeth help a lot when going to town with the big crosscut.

omQrAAI.jpg

Quite simple. Dozen bolts and screws or so. The tricky part is the metal is a bit sharp as it's roughly finished from sheet metal. It's surprisingly sturdy while not weighing a ton. It works a lot better than the wood one I had used prior that I made. The metal teeth help a lot when going to town with the big crosscut.

omQrAAI.jpg

Thanks again, I think I’ll try one!

Jeff

I have an order in for a knife from John. I know I want micarta. I ordered green, but was wondering if others could post pictures of his green, black, natural and dark brown burlap. All together would be awesome if anyone has it for a comparison, but if not, can anyone post their green or dark brown burlap? Those seem to be not as prevalent in the picture posts. Thanks in advance!
Dark Brown burlap is my new favorite.

Back