• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Plans for 2"x72" Knife Grinder/Sander No welding required

I hire my 14 year old son Connor to work with me in the shop a couple hours every Saturday and Sunday. He gets to earn a few bucks and learn a few skills and I get some help and quality time in with him. We've been building his own No Weld Grinder and finished it off this weekend with a nice coat of paint. He named it "The Green Machine".
He did most of the building on the grinder with me looking over his shoulder. I built the stand with the tool holder. The stand is welded and isn't in the spirit of the No Weld Grinder -- since it's welded but it could just as easily have been bolted together using the same techniques as building the grinder.
green_machine_1.jpg

green_machine_2.jpg

Looks good!:thumbup:

I have 2 of the grinders up and running now. One is at Doc Molenaar's and one in my shop.They work just fine. The 3 step pulleys give me a wide range of speeds. The other two which will be used for a dual wheel hollow grinder are built but not on the platforms yet. I need to order some more drive belt from Tracy this week. That stuff works really well!:)

Hi Tracy Thanks for the speedy shipment I received it today oh and the extra piece also Dave Thurmer

that's up on the tracking on the last pic? the belts half way off the drive wheel

I hadn't even noticed that in the pic. I had just been adjusting things and had not tightened the set screw on the drive wheel. It had worked it's way toward the end of the shaft and was about to come off. My son noticed in time and we moved it back and this time tightened the set screw. The pains of machinery development. It wasn't the first time I had done that in the process! :eek:

Hi Guys,
Does anybody know if the drawings of JT's rotating head are still available anywhere ? The links to the JPGs on his original post don't seem to work anymore. I sent him an email, but he has not repplied, and it has been a while.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Richard

Hi Guys,
Does anybody know if the drawings of JT's rotating head are still available anywhere ? The links to the JPGs on his original post don't seem to work anymore. I sent him an email, but he has not replied, and it has been a while. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Richard

Check out Tracy's website. Click on the link to his NWG. Go to the bottom of the page. There's a link to images of other's builds. Jarod's attachment is there. Scroll down to see it. http://www.mickleyknives.com/html/grinder_builds.html.

Hey Tracy,

I just posted a favorable review of the plans on Amazon. They said it would be published within48 hours. I hope the review helps you as much as your plans have helped me. Good luck!:)

A general call for experienced No Weld Grinder Builders....

I get asked almost once a week if I sell completed grinders based on these plans. I don't have any spare time for building grinders right now. I am so far behind on stuff now I simply can't take that kind of project on. If and when I go full time in 'the knife business' after I retire from my current day job (and that is a long way off), that may change.

If you have built a No Weld Grinder, (a minimum requirement) and you would be interested in building these on occasion for others - for a fee of you choice, let me know and I'll put you on the NWG Builders Network list.

What price you work out with your client would be entirely up to you. I'm not at all interested in charging a commission or royalty on this. I would ask that you include a set of plans that you have purchased from me (at a discount) as part of the price.

Staying on the builders network list would require positive feedback from clients and at least some transparancy with me on what you are going to charge, etc as I will be the one most often fielding questions. The more I know, the better I can steer a client towards you.

I would list your contact information publically on my personal knife web site where I keep a NWG page and in my supply web site, usaknifemaker.com
You will get a lot of lookers and tire kickers. That's just the nature of things.

If you do several of these and it's working well, we'll work out some kind of discount on parts that you grinder parts you purchase from me.

email me at: tracy@usakms.com

Hi all,

I just ordered off of Amazon and sent a message as instructed above for a rebate. Thanks for the opportunity to get the plans at a lower cost! Once I get the plans and get to work, I will provide a review.

Thanks,

Doug

A general call for experienced No Weld Grinder Builders....

I get asked almost once a week if I sell completed grinders based on these plans. I don't have any spare time for building grinders right now. I am so far behind on stuff now I simply can't take that kind of project on. If and when I go full time in 'the knife business' after I retire from my current day job (and that is a long way off), that may change.

If you have built a No Weld Grinder, (a minimum requirement) and you would be interested in building these on occasion for others - for a fee of you choice, let me know and I'll put you on the NWG Builders Network list.

What price you work out with your client would be entirely up to you. I'm not at all interested in charging a commission or royalty on this. I would ask that you include a set of plans that you have purchased from me (at a discount) as part of the price.

Staying on the builders network list would require positive feedback from clients and at least some transparancy with me on what you are going to charge, etc as I will be the one most often fielding questions. The more I know, the better I can steer a client towards you.

I would list your contact information publically on my personal knife web site where I keep a NWG page and in my supply web site, usaknifemaker.com
You will get a lot of lookers and tire kickers. That's just the nature of things.

If you do several of these and it's working well, we'll work out some kind of discount on parts that you grinder parts you purchase from me.

email me at: tracy@usakms.com

I have been actually been thinking about doing something like this. My grinder i have built is just an amazing machine and to be completely honest i love it. As a machinist have 100% access to a manual and CNC machine shop full of every thing need to make amazing grinders :). It is where i have moved my knife shop to and the boss is way cool with letting me work on other projects on the side off the clock, plus i have a key ;). I would most likely do it as a kit. where you get everything in a box and just bolt it together. Shipping would be easier that way. I could most likely keep up with any amount ordered. I would be fun I think.

I have been actually been thinking about doing something like this. My grinder i have built is just an amazing machine and to be completely honest i love it. As a machinist have 100% access to a manual and CNC machine shop full of every thing need to make amazing grinders :). It is where i have moved my knife shop to and the boss is way cool with letting me work on other projects on the side off the clock, plus i have a key ;). I would most likely do it as a kit. where you get everything in a box and just bolt it together. Shipping would be easier that way. I could most likely keep up with any amount ordered. I would be fun I think.

Would you provide the parts or need everything shipped to you?

Back