• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Plans for 2"x72" Knife Grinder/Sander No welding required

I have been actually been thinking about doing something like this. My grinder i have built is just an amazing machine and to be completely honest i love it. As a machinist have 100% access to a manual and CNC machine shop full of every thing need to make amazing grinders :). It is where i have moved my knife shop to and the boss is way cool with letting me work on other projects on the side off the clock, plus i have a key ;). I would most likely do it as a kit. where you get everything in a box and just bolt it together. Shipping would be easier that way. I could most likely keep up with any amount ordered. I would be fun I think.

I would be very interested in this. I have the motor sitting in my garage, but don't have most of the equipment to build it correctly. A kit to bolt together with some minor work would be perfect. If you decide to do this let me know.

Thanks,

Charlie

What I'm thinking of doing is a complete kit that maybe does not include the contact wheels. as its pointless for me to ship them to me then to you. so i will make a kit that has all the frame work, nuts and bolts, and drive shaft bearings, and one step pulley on the shaft and the drive wheel. But i dont know i might include the contact wheels so you just get one box and everything is in it that you need except the motor.

Call me old fashioned... but shouldn't the details be worked out with Tracy, since it's his grinder and his idea?

Call me old fashioned... but shouldn't the details be worked out with Tracy, since it's his grinder and his idea?

we have talked and He does not really have the time to deal with much more then just listing my name on his site and answering some questions. basically he just wants to sell the plans right now. and anything beyond that i work out with the customer that wants the grinder. basically he is giving limited permission to build these grinders for people that are not set up to do it them selves. One thing that is a must is that a set of plans will be sent with the grinder kit and the the money for the plans payed to him. He really just wants to help out all the knife makers that wants one of these grinders.

Nick, you're a good guy. Thanks for stepping up and looking out for me. Jared and I have emailed off line on this.

I really can't stop anyone from making these with out lawyers getting involved and I get enough of those in my day job. If I get a new customer for parts or other supplies later out of it, I'm pretty well off I figure. If not, we'll.....I'm not really out anything either. Maybe a builder will buy some of the parts from me that wouldn't get sold other wise too. Who knows?

This in't a gold mine that is untapped. There are one or two guys a month that might pay for one of these already built. If the price is really, really good. There are few other guys that would pay for the metal to be cut, drilled and tapped.

I'll offer help, advice and put contact information up on my web sites for kit or full builders that can do a good job. I'll also not hesitate removing their names if they aren't honest or cause me or one of their clients pain some how. I'm convinced 98% of people can make one of these grinders with these plans on their own. It's the other 2% (for what ever reason) that guys like Jared might be able to help out. I'm totally OK with that.

Jared's proven to be a stand up guy since he got into this whole knifemaking mess. I hope he does well with this part of it.

Just an update. I have Jared and two others (they can 'out' themselves when they are ready) that have expressed interest making kits or full builds. All three are still working the numbers or checking on their supply options.

Good deal! I'm glad everything is copacetic :D

From the pics of his projects, it looks like Jarod takes a lot of pride in the tools he builds, so I think he'll do a great job with this. :thumbup:

We (finally) have a bare bones kit in the works and it will be available soon.

The bare bones kit will include the basic frame drilled along with: 1 plain tool arm for a contact wheel, pillow blocks and the tool rest along with knobs. There are a few other improvements. I have contracted for 10 of these initially. We'll see how it goes. More later.
thanks
tracy

i am just loke yuor new info, if i inderstand,(my english is very bad)you can make one.iam very interest for.how i can buy thisthanks jc.b:thumbup::thumbup:

Hi,
Thought I would bump this thread with a question or two.

What are the main reasons for sizing the contact wheel?

Is Bigger always better in general?

Are all the 1 1/2 and 2 HP motors 220v?

Do you still have the plans available? I am very interested but have been unable to find them on your web site.

Back