Plumb Manufacturing Thread

I just picked up a Plumb All American 3 1/2 lb head Cooper group axe. It has an original handle and Perma bond.
The thing that has me stumped is the overall handle length is 18 1/2 inches. It is a straight handle(original) with a swell on the bottom.
Would this be considered a house axe or is it a miner's axe.

Spike, any chance you could post a picture?

If someone could walk me through the process using a pic on my phone I could try. Technology and myself don’t get along well

If someone could walk me through the process using a pic on my phone I could try. Technology and myself don’t get along well
It's not that hard once you get used to it. I use imgur and it works very well. Once you have an account you click share on your photo, then click imgur, once imgur pops up with your photo in it you click "add more photos" then select all the photos you want to share. Lastly near the top change it to "hidden" and you won't post your images to imgur, you'll just be using it as a vehicle you get your photos where you want them. Once they are uploaded you'll click on your photo In imgur, click share, click "copy to clipboard" and then switch pages to the post you are working on. Find the image posting icon at the top of your post and once that comes up click and hold in the space provided and click "paste". Then you'll just need to alternate between pages(blade forums and imgur) back at imgur click the next photo, copy to clipboard etc.
I hope this helps. I had to figure it out myself so i thought I'd try to lend a hand. Look forward to seeing your plumb sir!

Spike116's Plumb
Z1SGpxT.jpg

gUUVdzN.jpg

Tah6mS6.jpg

I just picked up a Plumb All American 3 1/2 lb head Cooper group axe. It has an original handle and Perma bond.
The thing that has me stumped is the overall handle length is 18 1/2 inches. It is a straight handle(original) with a swell on the bottom.
Would this be considered a house axe or is it a miner's axe.
Your photo shows the model number 11-608. This 1974 catalog from Plumb (when it was owned by Ames) shows that model number being a Miners axe with 3.5# head on a 20" straight handle.

The House Axe from Plumb has a different model number, 11631, and has a 2-1/4# head on a 19" curved handle.

BookReaderImages.php

BookReaderImages.php
https://archive.org/stream/PlumbCatalogNo24774/Plumb Catalog No 24-774#page/n7/mode/2up

The catalog for Tennessee Hickory Handles shows that
House Axes have curved handles, 16-19", with 2-1/4# heads, while
Miners Axes have straight handles, 18-26", with 3# to 5# head weights.

Thanks for the help. I didn’t think it was a house axe because I already have one.
Considering I live in Coal country I am surprised this is the first one I have seen
Special thanks to AgentH for the assist

I can't believe i forgot a couple plumbs! That's a nice problem , to have so many you forget about some! Lol. Here's the two that were in my closet.
2a72Gzt.jpg

That lipped adze is in great shape! I want a handle for it but am leery of buying one online. I know this is a lathing hatchet but i believe it is an underhill pattern. Am i correct?
dsjjCKY.jpg

That lipped adze is in great shape! I want a handle for it but am leery of buying one online.

I found a very nice (although fat) Tennessee Hickory Products adze handle at a local supplier for $11.35 +tax. I found one with excellent grain. See if you can find a local supplier. Some chainsaw shops carry TH products.

i am brand new here. i was gifted a couple of hatchets and a couple of axes by my grandfather. it is no longer enjoyable for him to try to remember them or their uses. The two axes are both Plumb and seem to be in good shape with what look like old handles. the appear to have been tended to recently. one of them has the Plumb logo inside the rectangle and a 3 with a 2 superscript. The other one has the Au-to-graf insignia on it which is pretty clear even tho it seems to have a recent coat of black over it....looks like someone or Gramp was restoring to original?? just guessing. anyhow, in the next few days/week i hope to upload pics and y'all maybe can tell me about them? they swing super nice but not putting them to heavy work just yet as they are sentimental objects too. have not examined the hatchets yet other than to note that one of them is a metal/wood hybrid Boy Scout hatchet. i have always liked knives, swords, axes, hatchets etc... even if i am rather clumsy at times (yikes). i am amazed to find a forum with thousands of threads about edged tools/weapons. gsm

i am brand new here. i was gifted a couple of hatchets and a couple of axes by my grandfather. it is no longer enjoyable for him to try to remember them or their uses. The two axes are both Plumb and seem to be in good shape with what look like old handles. the appear to have been tended to recently. one of them has the Plumb logo inside the rectangle and a 3 with a 2 superscript. The other one has the Au-to-graf insignia on it which is pretty clear even tho it seems to have a recent coat of black over it....looks like someone or Gramp was restoring to original?? just guessing. anyhow, in the next few days/week i hope to upload pics and y'all maybe can tell me about them? they swing super nice but not putting them to heavy work just yet as they are sentimental objects too. have not examined the hatchets yet other than to note that one of them is a metal/wood hybrid Boy Scout hatchet. i have always liked knives, swords, axes, hatchets etc... even if i am rather clumsy at times (yikes). i am amazed to find a forum with thousands of threads about edged tools/weapons. gsm

Welcome to a great community of people around the world that will all love to see pictures of the axes, hatchets and tools your grandfather has bestowed upon you.
Treat them well, and they will provide outstanding service and enjoyment for your grandchildren.

Welcome to a great community of people around the world that will all love to see pictures of the axes, hatchets and tools your grandfather has bestowed upon you.
Treat them well, and they will provide outstanding service and enjoyment for your grandchildren.
Thank you very much. I am presently figuring out how to try to get pics to appear here. I notice that i can see only about half of the pics that people try to post and that the others are pictures of some cat that is the "out of order" sign, i guess. LOL Appreciate the welcome, gary

Reactions: A17
You have to use a image hosting site such as postimg to post photos. Welcome to the forum as well!

Back