Poll: How much would you be willing to pay...?

How much would you be willing to pay for a CPK obstacle course style cutting competition blade?

• Total voters

Lorien

Nose to the Grindstone
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
This is just some preliminary research, so don't get too excited about anything, ok?

Please read the following carefully before casting your vote, and take your time to cast your vote. You only get one, and the poll doesn't have a deadline. If you wanna make your decision after some discussion, that's a good thing.

The idea with dollar amounts is to get a gauge on the maximum price you'd be willing to lay down.

Obviously, it would be great to get a knife like this for 5 bucks, but we live in a real world with actual moneyz and costs, and producing a knife like this will have to generate profit or it won't get made. How many, and how much is kind of what I'm looking to loosely gauge.

Generally speaking, the handle would accommodate two handed grip techniques and have a blade long enough to get through wider targets.

No design work has commenced, so any suggestions or ideas you might have are welcome, especially considering we have at least a half dozen veterans of KorD as regular contributors to the forum.

If CPK were to produce a knife designed for obstacle course cutting, like you see on Knife or Death, using all the resources and innovations you've come to expect from CPK, how much would you be willing to pay for such a knife?

Like I said, this is VERY preliminary. I'm just trying to gauge enthusiasm and interest.

Thanks for your comments and votes!

i-bid-1-bob.jpg
;) When I started poking you guys about something like this I figured it'd be about a grand...I'd be thoroughly pleased with anything under that.:)

~Chip

Having collected both long and short blades over a lengthy period of time, I think it's important that people who might be new to blades realize that larger, two handed blades (wakizashi, katana or any lengthy blade over 12" to 14") do not do well upon resale - as a general rule - because there is a smaller population of potential buyers than there are for less lengthy blades. It is that issue that causes me to use a lower price point in such a poll....

Having collected both long and short blades over a lengthy period of time, I think it's important that people who might be new to blades realize that larger, two handed blades (wakizashi, katana or any lengthy blade over 12" to 14") do not do well upon resale - as a general rule - because there is a smaller population of potential buyers than there are for less lengthy blades. It is that issue that causes me to use a lower price point in such a poll....

well considered words, Bob. Thank you

I'll pay the well deserved $1000 to get one and I will also loan (at a very low rate) Bob $400 to add to his piggy bank so that he can get one too, just because I know that he will forever regret not ordering one after all said and done. Heck it does not make sense to design, R&D, produce and market such a knife which we would come to expect from CPK-LA with paltry profit margins, heck if not a lo$$ at the lower end.

That said, the handle scales must be made from the late Patrick Sawyze's DNA like Nathan had always wanted to!

If Nathan and you could could produce the below KOD Blades at anywhere near $1000, count me in for 1 of each:thumbsup::cool::p

First the SNOMA (Sir Nathan of Mooresville Assassin) :cool:

20 inch blade with .25 thickness, and overall length of 30 inches:thumbsup:

and for those who like a somewhat smaller blade the NA (NinJo Assassin):thumbsup:

18 inch Blade with .235 thickness and overall length of 28 inches:D

Well, just call a BC with antique $700. Seems like $1K would be a very good deal for several inches added on both ends of that knife. In fact, it might be overly optimistic based on what I see other large pieces of 3V going for. So yeah, a two handed BC with six more inches of blade, where do you want me to send the grand?

For the right blade, put me down for $1500, maybe more if you really blow my skirt up.

I can't vote on this just yet, because that sounds like a knife/sword I could never bear to part with. Frankly it would be worth more to me than I can afford. $500 is as much as I could pay in the near future, but such a knife would easily be worth $1000 to me. I would hate for such an item to be released and I miss the boat because of cost. I hope you would make sure to give us lots of lead time to save up if you make a Cascadian sword.

An ideal size for me would be a blade around 16"-18", with a handle and a half. It would still have to be balanced so you can cut efficiently with one hand. Choke down on the handle and a half, then you can swing it like a Louisville Slugger. I can tell you that the BC can handle every obstacle on KoD, but requires much more of a skill level and deliberation.

First off, my OCD is making me say this part, so I apologize in advance - shouldn’t the word “blade” be at the end of the survey title? Without reading the survey details, I was thinking that you were asking how much I’d pay to compete.

To the question. Bob has a good point, but these blades would be so fine that I would never sell it.

One of Dan Keffeler’s Super Assassin wakizashis brings in a fair amount and I’m thinking his recent lightened prototype, which I would expect to cost more, might be ideal for the competition for someone who could comfortably wield it.

A CPK design, in delta 3V, of a similar style or maybe slightly smaller, even though made in a larger quantity, should also bring a reasonable price for the amount of work that would go into it. Unless we’re talking a slightly modified Behemoth, I think $1000 is too low, to be fair. The competition cutters at $700 were an incredible, incredible, value.

I know these prices are out of range for many, so I don’t mean to come off as all hoity-toity, but in all fairness to CPK, yes, I’d pay $1000 and significantly upwards for a design that drew me in. Mike

First off, my OCD is making me say this part, so I apologize in advance - shouldn’t the word “blade” be at the end of the survey title? Without reading the survey details, I was thinking that you were asking how much I’d pay to compete.

thanks Mike!

I like the BIG BLADES so this is right up my alley. Make mine in the Behemoth style of thinking, and I am in for 1.
The most recent offering’s price points from CPK/LA is such a great bargain comparing them to what I have paid from some others that I would be a fool to not buy 1.
As stated above: if the balance/weight/length + the steel that is used are all inline as I expect they will be, this would be a great offering for some of us here.
;-)
I’m in.
I had replied to the poll answering @ $800 but I will pay more, much more for
heavy duty heavy usage blades from this maker and designer.

An ideal size for me would be a blade around 16"-18", with a handle and a half. It would still have to be balanced so you can cut efficiently with one hand. Choke down on the handle and a half, then you can swing it like a Louisville Slugger. I can tell you that the BC can handle every obstacle on KoD, but requires much more of a skill level and deliberation.

For me the biggest blade I would ever use would more in this range ... and I would have to think whether I would use it enough to warrent a purchase since I would never compete with it ...

and I have become very accustom to using axes for chooping needs throughout my life ... I did preorder a HDMC and that could change my mind ...

but for anyone looking to compete or that prefers a blade over an axe I can see the viability of such a blade ... and the quaility CPK turns out on all their products it would be worth a premium.

Just my thoughts - JJ

Back