Poor Quality Control

You could have easily loosened all of the screws on this knife, centered the blade and then slowly tightened them back, keeping the blade centered.

If you did this you would have been able to address this knife, probably within five minutes.

You could have also contacted the company directly and reached the same resolution without the public outburst.

Lame.

I think this thread has shown what amazing customer service Spyderco has, and not just from a customer service employee, but from the owner.

People can argue about whether the knife had a defect, or was normal. The thread is a shining example of the Shinto saying “Even the wishes of an ant reach to heaven.”

Spyderco is right up there at the top with Buck and Great Eastern for quality and service.

I would like to publicly thank Spyderco for the quick and awesome customer support.

Also, I would like to thank everyone for contributing on this discussion, I don't do a lot of posting here.

Just to clarify, I never suggested the knife is not functional, but I have over 100 (folders) and clearly I am not looking for "function". I am a knife enthusiast, amateur maker/modifier and collector. If I only wanted a folder for cutting and slicing then I would only have a Bugout EDC and Recon1 tactical.

I have very few expectations when I order. Being able to open, close and cut is not one of them - to me that is a given. Like assuming that box of Cheerios actually has Cheerios in it is also a given. My expectations would be that they are fresh, not infested with insects, etc. My expectations for a folder are that the pins are flush and the blade is centered.

Quality control means a human looks at it. In theory they should think "if this was my company, would I want a customer to receive this?". Sadly often they feel underpaid and overworked (who doesn't) and may not care.

If I am gonna get the tools out, then it is to make something like this Natchez Bowie replica in A2 with French coffin handle of burlap micarta.
https://i.imgur.com/5UxaLsE.jpg

Or, I may modify scales like these cyan synthetic ivory set I put on one of my Griptillians.
https://i.imgur.com/nwGSSZq.jpg

If I am gonna assume the Quality Control function, then I want their crappy wage too!

But that's just me.

Stay safe!!

Cant see the pic in the OP (your Natchez pic, I see just fine) but if its just a blade slightly off-center with no functionality issue, I likewise find it pretty much a non-issue. You also initially came on rather strong. You seem to have seen the light though.

If I am gonna get the tools out, then it is to make something like this Natchez Bowie replica in A2 with French coffin handle of burlap micarta.
https://i.imgur.com/5UxaLsE.jpg
Out of interest and for clarification, whats the 'French' part? I have a Natchez Bowie but havent heard the coffin handle referred to as being French.

A folding knife from an experienced company like Spyderco should come centered and next to perfect. Regardless of which product line or which country it's made in.

A folding knife from an experienced company like Spyderco should come centered and next to perfect. Regardless of which product line or which country it's made in.

If that's what you think, then you clearly have no idea how manufacturing works. o_O There's tolerance stack-up, tool wear, machine backlash, belts break, computers fail, coolant lines clog, etc. There are SO many things that can go wrong along the way to cause individual parts to be less than perfect. Most are then assembled by hand, which brings human error into the fold. Nothing is ever perfect, that's why we get 2nds. Sometimes too, a cosmetic "problem" like an off-centered blade can be remedied by something as simple as loosening a few screws and then re-tightening them.

Slightly off-centered blades or barely uneven bevel grinds do not a defective knife make. They're still perfectly functional. Might consider reevaluating your expectations...

If that's what you think, then you clearly have no idea how manufacturing works. o_O There's tolerance stack-up, tool wear, machine backlash, belts break, computers fail, coolant lines clog, etc. There are SO many things that can go wrong along the way to cause individual parts to be less than perfect. Most are then assembled by hand, which brings human error into the fold. Nothing is ever perfect, that's why we get 2nds. Sometimes too, a cosmetic "problem" like an off-centered blade can be remedied by something as simple as loosening a few screws and then re-tightening them.

Slightly off-centered blades or barely uneven bevel grinds do not a defective knife make. They're still perfectly functional. Might consider reevaluating your expectations...

Everything you said here is painfully obvious.

However, bad quality control and off-center blades shouldn't be brushed off as the norm. "Barely uneven bevel grinds" lol :rolleyes:

There's a hint of Spyderco fanboy-ism going on here. Take a deep breath. Not interested in a multiple reply argument on the subject.

Last edited:

However, bad quality control and off-center blades shouldn't be brushed off as the norm. "Barely uneven bevel grinds" lol :rolleyes:

There's a hint of Spyderco fanboy-ism going on here. Take a deep breath. Not interested in a multiple reply argument on the subject.
He didn't say it was okay, or qc issues should be accepted as the norm. And yeah, you are in the spyderco subforum, so show a little decorum...

Lemons slip through from every company, manufacturer, and maker. Cherry picking an instance of issue from an otherwise great company does not justify the point you tried to make in your first post. Honestly, it smells of trolling. I hope you don't hold yourself to the same strict and perfect should've, could've, would've, standard you are asking of spyderco. It's an easy recipe for constant disappointment.

Ok guys. Obviously stuff slips through. That doesn't make it ok and it's definitely not impressive. I for one will never be satisfied with uncentered blades and fit/finish mistakes.

Doesn't mean I don't love Spyderco, but to act as though they have it all figured out fit/finish wise, and that any issues in production are just "way she goes" is silly.

Ok guys. Obviously stuff slips through. That doesn't make it ok and it's definitely not impressive. I for one will never be satisfied with uncentered blades and fit/finish mistakes.

Doesn't mean I don't love Spyderco, but to act as though they have it all figured out fit/finish wise, and that any issues in production are just "way she goes" is silly.
So who does have it all figured out then?

Cuz.....I can guarantee we can find issues exactly like this thread with them.

You seem to still be missing the point that in production there are issues. That is indeed how it goes. And imo, spyderco has far less issues than any other knife manufacturer their size, or any size really.

So who does have it all figured out then?

Cuz.....I can guarantee we can find issues exactly like this thread with them.

You seem to still be missing the point that in production there are issues. That is indeed how it goes. And imo, spyderco has far less issues than any other knife manufacturer their size, or any size really.

Yep, Spyderco does seem to come the closest out of the big production folder brands.

Again, you don't seem to get it. QC is a human operation, and little things might get missed. Do you have any idea how many knives one inspector might process in a day? People aren't perfect. If you don't like something, send it in. Off-center blades are far from the norm, but they do happen. Same with slightly mis-matched grinds. Neither issue would prevent the knife from being perfectly functional, but if these kinds of cosmetic issues bother you, then send the knife in.

Note, never did I mention Spyderco specifically anywhere in my post, as everything I said previously applies to any production knife maker, and I wasn't specifically talking with respect to just Spyderco (despite this being in their forum). I may like Spyderco, but your assumption of blind fanboism is just that, assumption. You know what they say about assuming... ;)

It happens. If you, personally, get something you're not happy with, send it in.

How did this ever pass? The scale can be moved to the side! See the unbelievable picture, not doctored either, I like the knife but........

View attachment 1458311 View attachment 1458312
Ummmm.... :p

Back