Poor Quality Control

Again, you don't seem to get it. QC is a human operation, and little things might get missed. Do you have any idea how many knives one inspector might process in a day? People aren't perfect. If you don't like something, send it in. Off-center blades are far from the norm, but they do happen. Same with slightly mis-matched grinds. Neither issue would prevent the knife from being perfectly functional, but if these kinds of cosmetic issues bother you, then send the knife in.

Note, never did I mention Spyderco specifically anywhere in my post, as everything I said previously applies to any production knife maker, and I wasn't specifically talking with respect to just Spyderco (despite this being in their forum). I may like Spyderco, but your assumption of blind fanboism is just that, assumption. You know what they say about assuming... ;)

It happens. If you, personally, get something you're not happy with, send it in.

Ummmm.... :p

Take it more personally.

My F150(s) had an issue.

so did my Acura, Honda, Chrysler, Toyota, GMC, infiniti, my...

Whatever time of the day, Spyderco makes great products. Duds still piss me off, but slack must be cut. Even the duds do.

Whatever time of the day, Spyderco makes great products. Duds still piss me off, but slack must be cut. Even the duds do.

That was really well worded! Even the (Spyderco) duds do (cut). Nice. :cool:

I've worked in a production environment for a long time. As already stated, multiple instances of variance are inherent in a production process. Singly or in combination they can cause deviance from spec. This cannot be eliminated, only minimized.
The more minimizing going on, the more each item costs. That trade off is a business decision, that must accommodate other factors as well.

I've had very few occasions to call on Spyderco's CS, which is good, and had great service when I did, also good.

Sure, I want every knife to turn up perfectly centered etc, but minor non-functional flaws get forgotten when I'm using the knife. That's what it's for.

If I want to be sure a flawless Spyderco arrives in the mail, it's not a Seki model ordered, it's from Taichung - those guys have got the minimizing thing down pat IMO.

Last edited:
Friend of mine sent in his BM 890 twice, the last time they got it right and he has had no problems in several years, we may expect everything to be perfect when we buy something, but reality is it`s made by a human in many steps of the process of said product being made.

I have BM and Spyderco along many others and like them all, luckily I have never had to send a knife back, if I ever do, I will not be happy, but I`ll just have to deal with it and let the company make it right.

Nothing is perfect

It happens. And with all due respect to Mr. Sal, both Spydie knives I've bought had issues. My first, a Tenacious, had really bad micro chipping. I thought maybe it just had a putty edge, and sharpened it several times trying to get past it. I never did get past it.

Like I said, it happens. And I'm sure had I contacted Spyderco, they would have made it right.

My second knife, my PM2, has a small amount of blade play, and my blade chipped from very light duty use.

I'm sure Mr. Sal would make these things right, but honestly I don't care that much to send it in. The edge is very sharp on my PM2, and is easy to maintain the edge. It hasn't chipped any more. And the slight hint of blade play doesn't affect function.

Despite my experience, I realize Spyderco makes awesome, high quality knives. But sometimes things just happen. That's where customer service kicks in, and from what I've read, they have excellent cs.

There's too many factors that go into blade centering. Many stores will let someone take a knife and use it, and if they don't like it return it. The knife doesn't go into the garbage it goes back onto the shelf! The last person could have messed with it, sat on it etc. That's what happens when you buy cheap off a shipping site and not a reputable dealer. Not Spyderco's fault.
Here in my country they have to tighten the heck out of a pivot to get it through customs. Its a given that sometimes the store didn't set it right again, and you are going to have to do some tinkering.

This is also IMHO why you should spend the extra $10 bucks and buy in person at a store. I went to buy another famous brand that actually does have some QC issues in the past few years with their locks. I tried out 10 knives and they all had vertical blade play and only one didn't. Seeing what I want in person and getting the best example is worth the tiny bit of extra cash.

I don't think off-centering is an issue unless the blade scrapes the scale or the blade is warped. 1-2mm either way doesn't affect function in my opinion, especially when perception of perfectly centered often relies on a much finer resolution than the eye would see - macro photography.

I'm not a "fanboy". I love knives, and they have had a great product line.
I've been happy with their QC so far.
I've had at least 50 Spydees.
There was a G-10 scuff on one of my PM2s, and a slight blade discoloration/shimmer (patina?) on my discontinued Persian. That's it.

I'm sorry, I know blades can be off center, but what company advertises their blades as perfectly centered?

There will always be a knife that slips through the cracks. That said, the OP's complaint seems to me to be a complete non-issue. In any case, I have rarely had to send anything to Spyderco (far less than any other company) but when I have, it has always been taken care of quickly and by friendly people.

Thanks

Thanks, it’s on the way from Windsor Canada. You’ll see it in a month, but I realize times are tough and this is a “first world problem”.

I hope everyone on here is coping well and staying safe!
Glad you realize this is a first world problem. I've found all my knives still cut, even when they are a tad off-center.

Its funny but I see more people complaining about the centering of the blade than the lock timing. Its truly a non issue for the most part but everyone mentioning it both in pictures and script it has become an issue. All the ads here show it for the most part and buyers ask about it too. So theoretically it can impact sale/resale negatively. I wonder if making it a QC Item would raise the prices.

With purchases I specify wanting no lock rock and wanting good centering, but I agree that it absolutely doesn’t matter unless it rubs.

I carried a knife in my pocket for decades before somebody told me about blade centering. Now I have to go check all my knives and determine if they're fit to own...or I could just continue not giving a righteous rat's arsch.

My Endura 4 CE came with a small chip taken out of the cutting edge. The knife still works though. I stuck it in my pocket and it's been my EDC for a couple months now.

Back