• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Postal Packages

Ahhh. CNN.......there is a reliable source. A political article written by two reporters who have zero experience in logistics.
Oh and the ballots all made it fine for elections across the country, so they are debunked even if you bought their hack job.

But sure that's what really happened:D

Covid and record ecommerce is what impacted the usps and other carriers come the holiday peak season. And just like monofletch; I lived it. Stop listening to media know nothings with bs political agendas.

:rolleyes:

On everything I had shipped to me through the holidays and after only 1 package was lost. It’s probably out there somewhere in USPS land or if someone else got it I hope they are enjoying it. It wasn’t a big ticket item. I notified the company (Grey Ghost Gear) about it and they gladly sent me a replacement. I want to give them credit for great customer service. Anyone else have a great experience similar to this?

USPS is moving much faster for me for sure, I got a Priority $7.80 from Albuquerque NM, mailed Saturday afternoon & It was in my hands at 8:30 am this morning in the Chicagoland area

I mailed out a light going to Sunnyvale TX. first class on Thursday & it out for delivery today, IMO that's excellent for First Class

I've had a couple of interesting USPS experiences recently.

First, my daughter received a Priority 2 day package yesterday (2/1) that had been mailed on DECEMBER 15! We live in Denver, so not a small, rural location and the package arrived in our regional sorting facility on 12/17 and disappeared into some sort of postal service 4th dimensional void for a month and a half. I will say that the package was in surprisingly good condition when it reappeared...

Next, I had a couple of USPS packages slated to arrive mid last week. They were listed as "On vehicle, out for delivery" and I waited patiently for them to arrive while I worked from home. Finally at about 7:00 PM I hadn't received any of my mail and the status of my packages changed to "Held at post office per customer's request" even though I had clearly made no such request. When I took time from work to go to the post office the next day to get my mail the clerk told me that the prior day we had a temp carrier who probably just didn't feel like making the delivery.

Pittsburg Postal Facility is like a black hole. My wife had a package and I’ve had two end up spending about 7-10 days sitting in the USPS Facility Pittsburg before changing status to “in transit” to whatever next stop.

My personal favorite concerning the Baton Rouge Distribution Center is sending a knife to my son 100 road miles away through BR to the destination 25 miles from BR, and from BR it went to Spokane, WA.

Seems like everything is flowing well for pkgs that are shipped recently - for me anyways. The main issue is that older packages that were shipped a while ago remain delayed - aka tied up the black hole in certain distribution locations. It's an indicator of poor decisions by local management and a failure to work pkgs on a first in - first out basis. In other words, you work the old pkgs or trailers first - before you work the new ones.
It's just common sense. One should never leave week old trailers languish in the yard - while timely working new ones. It just makes poor service turn into horrible service for those customers.

On another note, I did see that there is talk again in congress of reviewing the law that makes the USPS pay their excessive retirement benefits so far out in advance - no other gov entity does that (or private companies for that matter) That was a stupid law that was passed back in the early 2000's. It's certainly one of the reasons for USPS losses of billions of $$$ over the years and should be changed. Another example of the clowns in DC looking out for us. Perhaps the increasing financial losses in the past 10 years and the service issues have finally woke some of them up. Speaking of common sense...……….. LOL

I had one first class and one Priority package, mailed from CA and MN respectively both take under a week, while a priority package I mailed from PA to VA took 11 days (6-7 hour drive from my house).

The issues that started in the summer, worsened in the fall, and were unprecedented during Christmas, still continue despite the pandemic being nothing new and the holidays long over. Remember in the beginning of the pandemic when everything got put on lock down? No issues here then.

The issues seem to be very regional. My mail has gotten marginally better but in other places they are still at levels we saw during Christmas. I wonder what the next excuse will be? Unprecedented Valentine's Day delivers! Lol.

My package from PA made it to VA in 2-3 days but proceeded to sit at a distro center for a week. There is just no excuse for this sort of thing. Leadership at the top simply does not care.

The main issue is that older packages that were shipped a while ago remain delayed - aka tied up the black hole in certain distribution locations. It's an indicator of poor decisions by local management and a failure to work pkgs on a first in - first out basis. In other words, you work the old pkgs or trailers first - before you work the new ones.
It's just common sense. One should never leave week old trailers languish in the yard - while timely working new ones. It just makes poor service turn into horrible service for those customers.
I know I said I would no longer respond to you but I think I'll just point one thing out. If you'd read some of the evil news media articles on the subject, not letting old late mail delay current mail is exactly one of the policies implemented by those at the top of USPS, as a means to improve efficiency. That in combination with other policy changes (overtime and hiring freeze, removal of sorting machines) and a pandemic, and a mail in election, and the holidays have created the perfect storm for USPS becoming a laughing stock. Unfortunately, the workers and local management take the brunt of the criticism and the burden to fix the problems, while the man at the top tries to run the place like a for profit truck company rather than a national postal system during a historically unprecedented crisis.

They did good, but then the idiots sent my package from Indianapolis, to Cincinnati. When it should have went to Louisville. In fact it should have went to Louisville instead of Indy, in the first place. And it always did before all this mucked up postal bull excretion started.

February 5, 2021, 6:59 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER
Your item arrived at our USPS facility in CINCINNATI OH DISTRIBUTION CENTER on February 5, 2021 at 6:59 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
February 5, 2021, 4:35 am
Departed USPS Facility
INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46242
February 5, 2021, 12:50 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
INDIANAPOLIS, IN 46242
February 4, 2021, 8:02 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

There was no reason to send my package to Indianapolis, then to Cincinnati, when ultimately it's going to wind up in Louisville, before it's delivered to me. The postal service used to always, without exception deliver directly to Louisville and then to me the same day, or next. In this instance they're handling my package much more than needed, which only adds to overall inefficiency.

I know I said I would no longer respond to you but I think I'll just point one thing out. If you'd read some of the evil news media articles on the subject, not letting old late mail delay current mail is exactly one of the policies implemented by those at the top of USPS, as a means to improve efficiency. That in combination with other policy changes (overtime and hiring freeze, removal of sorting machines) and a pandemic, and a mail in election, and the holidays have created the perfect storm for USPS becoming a laughing stock. Unfortunately, the workers and local management take the brunt of the criticism and the burden to fix the problems, while the man at the top tries to run the place like a for profit truck company rather than a national postal system during a historically unprecedented crisis.

But you did.

So, since you continue to project yourself as an expert on this subject could you please elaborate on your qualifications? I think it's probably relevant given your claims.
How many years have you worked in transportation/logistics? What were your positions? How many years of management experience do you have in this area? Have you ever worked for the USPS, Fedex or UPS?
Ever deliver an envelope or package? Have you been in a warehouse? Have you any experience working in anything transportation related during the Christmas rush? Any experience during the pandemic?
Just curious...………….

There are still some hiccups. I had 2 packages sitting in the distribution center at the same time. One got delivered and the other ones status is arriving late. Hmmmm

There are still some hiccups. I had 2 packages sitting in the distribution center at the same time. One got delivered and the other ones status is arriving late. Hmmmm
That does seem odd. Maybe sitting in different trucks.

On everything I had shipped to me through the holidays and after only 1 package was lost. It’s probably out there somewhere in USPS land or if someone else got it I hope they are enjoying it. It wasn’t a big ticket item. I notified the company (Grey Ghost Gear) about it and they gladly sent me a replacement. I want to give them credit for great customer service. Anyone else have a great experience similar to this?

After my meds had been off track for nearly a month after detours to two incorrect locations, my mail-order prarmacy, Humana, sent replacement UPS - arrived in three days IIRC. My experience is that the people at Humana do great, whereas the automated systems stink - getting worse all the time. But the peopole are accessable and spend the time needed to fix the computer foul-ups.

After my meds had been off track for nearly a month after detours to two incorrect locations, my mail-order prarmacy, Humana, sent replacement UPS - arrived in three days IIRC. My experience is that the people at Humana do great, whereas the automated systems stink - getting worse all the time. But the peopole are accessable and spend the time needed to fix the computer foul-ups.
I've always wondered how they justify mailing medications that usually say that they must be stored at approx. room temperature or refrigerated, and some must never freeze. I've only seen exceptions for "brief excursions." Neither 3 days nor 1 month sound brief to me.

Pittsburg Postal Facility is like a black hole. My wife had a package and I’ve had two end up spending about 7-10 days sitting in the USPS Facility Pittsburg before changing status to “in transit” to whatever next stop.
I'm in VA, and the entire state of Pennsylvania is a black hole. I had some pretty slow packages in December and January, but the only packages that have taken forever (small flat rate PM boxes that took literally weeks) to get to me or to whomever I was shipping to ALL went through PA. Williamsport is a d@mn nightmare. Warrendale and Harrisburg nearly as bad. I have had packages come and go from New Mexico and the West Coast in two days. Pennsylvania USPS is where packages go to die. Maybe some particularly lazy union workers in Pennsylvania, or the Mob up there is pissed about something. But PA sticks out like a sore thumb on a sore hand.

Fed Ex, DHL and UPS have been getting the job done every time for me (including an emergency Fed Ex overnight to Chicago that actually GOT there overnight, and a package that got here from Japan in four days including clearing US Customs), and USPS is now a last place option. YMMV.

Back