Leather Pouch Sheath Dimensions - Critique Wanted!

After wet forming I coated it with neatsfoot oil, let it dry for around 6 hours then I hit it with bag-kote. Let it sit for about 15 min then wiped it down with a micro fiber cloth.

Thoughts / Future Sheaths:

• Next round I'll definitely try the awl in the drill press puncturing method instead of drilling
  • I won't use black thread on a natural colored sheath! Because I think it looks strange.
  • I'll skive the belt loop thinner where it contacts the back of the sheath.
  • I'll leave extra material on the folding side so that I don't need to get everything perfectly lined up while gluing and can cut away the excess.
  • I'll use pencil instead of blue pen
  • I'll try to use a bone folder for the wet forming?
  • I'll use a soldering iron to burn the thread
  • I won't be as liberal with my glue on the belt loop
  • I won't use clamps for contact cement over night.
  • I'll bring the belt loop stitching up a little so that it's in line with the handle
  • I'll take the top of the sheath down the handle a little more. I think the handle is a little too far into the sheath?

Any other critiques?! Tear this thing apart please. I don't want to make the same mistakes!

Thanks!

I agree with the thread for sure. Ya might set your stitching groove back a little further. I've sttled on 1/4" for sheaths and holsters, in fact very few things that I don't do at 1/4" belts notebboks etc are less. Anyhoo the reason for that is it gives ya more room to sand. If ya had a little more room I bet ya could sand out the blue marks on the edge. On the glueing, I just glue, let get glazed (just a few minutes) put together and sew. I don't leave a curing time of overnight or anything. Biggest improvement on this current one would be getting the stitching better and sounds like you are on your way.

If ya want to make a round knife here's an excellent wip by TK.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-round-knife-wip.1540597/

I agree with the thread for sure. Ya might set your stitching groove back a little further. I've sttled on 1/4" for sheaths and holsters, in fact very few things that I don't do at 1/4" belts notebboks etc are less. Anyhoo the reason for that is it gives ya more room to sand. If ya had a little more room I bet ya could sand out the blue marks on the edge. On the glueing, I just glue, let get glazed (just a few minutes) put together and sew. I don't leave a curing time of overnight or anything. Biggest improvement on this current one would be getting the stitching better and sounds like you are on your way.
If ya want to make a round knife here's an excellent wip by TK.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/a-round-knife-wip.1540597/

Hey Mr. Ferry, thanks a million! I'll have to check out that WIP on the round knife for sure. Good tips with the 1/4'' spacing for the stitching. I'm good with making all these mistakes on the same sheath... so that I can get them out of the way!

Back