Processing Elk Sheds (A WIP)

Thanks - good WIP.
"The Bruce" and "Wallace" would like to point out that the crown end can make a great sword haft (or haeft as they would say).

Last edited:
Thanks Dave! I bookmarked this thread. I have some deer antler I need to treat this way.

Great looking knife.

BTW; what is the steel ring on the side of those great looking chaps for? I'm more of a carpenter/construction worker type, not a cowboy.

Great write-up, thank you!
Though I hope never to grind bone again in my life. :)

Thanks guys and you are welcome! Aye Stacy, the Bruce. A copy of his grave plaque from the floor of Dunfermline Abbey. Course his heart is buried at Melrose on the border, looking south. Ay looking south.

woodwrkr the ring is to hold a tie rope. A tie rope is a short piece of rope usually about 10 ft long. When leggings (chaps) have them like this pair the tie rope is centered over the connecting string in front and then both tails of the rope is fed through the ring. I cary one on the back of my saddle, some guys will carry like this on their leggings.

eLzvz1Y.jpg

This pic was from my son riding heifers for a large local ranch last spring. So what that means is these are first calf heifers that are about to calve. This particular batch of heifers (about 200 of them) were having aa lot of problems. About every 3rd one needed assistance. So every 2 hours for about 2 months he would ride through this pasture checking the heifers. if one was having trouble he would rope it, throw a trip, lay it down, tie the front feet, have a GOOD horse hold the back and then you are probably shoulder deep seeing what the problem is. If its gonna be an extended period of time you'd probably tie the back feet too, usually to the front feet. All the blue ropes hanging on the saddle are extra tie ropes. This is big boy cowboy stuff so a guy needs to be handy and mounted cause you are doing this by yourself for the most part. Ya can see the Buddy (the horse) knows his job well and is using his weight to keep the heifers hind feet off the ground.

There's lots of different ways of doing things and some of it is regional. If ya got two ropers ya can just lay em down like my wife and I did here. Head em, heel em and the ground crew will take the head rope off stick em on the front feet and go to work. Salty is rapidly making this bull calf into a steer, with Shotgun Stewie standing by with the branding iron. No "tie" ropes used this way just "catch" ropes.

UY1eGBf.jpg

So on the chap trade the whole project was to make something similar to dad's.

MHZxsbg.jpg

Kinda took me out of my comfort zone because I've made hundred and hundreds of different pairs of leggings but never this style. This chap style is called AZ bells. I've made: chinks, charmitas, armitas, shotgun chaps, batwing chaps and even bear hide woolies but never a pair of AZ bells. Never made this type of pocket before here on the right leg. Its called a mitten pocket.

HdKxdGc.jpg

Dave, thank you very much for this informative post. I have some antler at the house that has been waiting on this post to come along. :thumbup:

How do you mix the PP? How much PP would you put in a quart of water? Thanks for a great WIP.

Tom no real recipe. I just keep adding both till it won't dissolve anymore. Remebering from my dim chemistry classes couple hundred years ago that is what a soloution is. I'd probably put one of those little bottles of PP in a quart and go from there. I'd think I'd probably be adding a little more water a little at a time and stirring untill it was all dissolved. Ya bet!

Thank you very much for the WIP. I've been really wanting to try this lately with some sheds I have. Do you mind explaining how you drill your pin holes? That's one thing I'm a little hung up on. Thanks again!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ya bet Josh. On a knife with a bolster I glue up one side of the handle at a time. So after the glue has cured on the first one I drill the holes from the tang side using the holes in the tang as a guide. I also trim off any extral bolster and handle material at this time. I then glue up the second side. Once the glue has dried on the second side I'll use the holes in the first side as a guide to drill all the way through. Since your handle material is not flat the secret is to keep everything square to the bit so that you don't have oblong holes. Hope this helps.

Ya bet Josh. On a knife with a bolster I glue up one side of the handle at a time. So after the glue has cured on the first one I drill the holes from the tang side using the holes in the tang as a guide. I also trim off any extral bolster and handle material at this time. I then glue up the second side. Once the glue has dried on the second side I'll use the holes in the first side as a guide to drill all the way through. Since your handle material is not flat the secret is to keep everything square to the bit so that you don't have oblong holes. Hope this helps.
Yes sir thank you. That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. One more question if you don't mind. Have you tried this process with bleached out sheds?

Josh here is another way it could be done as well I assume. The same logic could be used in this situation. This is how I plan on doing it. I want to make one of these for doing distals as well.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1412807-Fitting-Scales-on-a-(Distal)Tapered-Tang

Here's one way to do it: Taper you tang all the way up under your bolsters if you want bolsters. Make sure you drill your holes for pins before you taper the tang. After fitting your bolsters you may use a little super glue to tack one side of your scales to your blade and then clamp into a jig like this. I copied this one from David Sharp. Drill your holes and break the scale off the blade and then glue the other scale to the blade turn over and repeat. That's it. The other method is for guys who want their taper to stop at the bolsters or guard. Then you must fit the scales to the bolsters by trial and error because they will not be 90 degree perpendicular anymore an will be about 1/2 a degree to 1 degree off. You have to sand the face of your scales at less than 90 degrees and test fit to the bolsters. When they fit you can glue the scales one at a time to your blade and use this jig to drill the holes. Larry

Tef8gJRl.jpg
B6uVZLzl.jpg

Josh yes I have and it works fine on really bleached ones too. I just want em not cracked too bad and sometimes those bleached ones get alot of cracks. If ya have just a few cracks after processing like outlined above then I'll fill the cracks with superglue.

Wow! I've been using a lot of elk, but missing this out on ppm. I'm sending for it today! I assume it is mixed with water. Any special ratio? On Amazon, is the 98% powder the correct purchase? A couple years ago, I bought some low percentage solution and got minimal results. I want to get it right this time.

Josh yes I have and it works fine on really bleached ones too. I just want em not cracked too bad and sometimes those bleached ones get alot of cracks. If ya have just a few cracks after processing like outlined above then I'll fill the cracks with superglue.
Perfect that's what I wanted to know. Thanks for taking the time!

Can I use any of the 98% powders on eBay or amazon? Just add to water until a saturated solution? I'm looking forward to some great color on my elk!!

Ya bet Josh!!

cacci I would think so at that high a concentration. Mine is from Home Science Tools in Billings MT. Dosen't have a concentration on the label. Just 30g of Potassium Permanganate: crystal, labratory grade. Hope that helps. Good luck. Yep on the water. BTW we're on well water and I've just used that, nothing special like distilled water.

Interesting.

I have one side of a decent sized elk shed. I am considering trying to make a few scales.

One question..... no bandsaw for me. I only have a small disk and 1×30 combo. I have hack saws, and an angle grinder. Doubt I'd be able to get it cut cleanly enough???

Last edited:
Dave! Great Wip.. If you remember im down where the Palm Trees & Bikini Girls are! Lots of Yoga pants & shorts these days too!:)

Its always a adventure to read through your WIP etc from your ranch! :thumbsup:

I don't really use much Elk/Stag horn since I make mostly Culinary Knives.

One thing I can attest too for all of you other makers. If you have a guest in your shop that has over stayed their welcome..

Just start grinding some bone or Horn and they will be gone in a heartbeat! Phew!:D

Back