Processing Elk Sheds (A WIP)

Nice work Dave. I will say that PP goes brown MOST of the time. I have seen purple and I have seen PINK!!!! :eek: So do you think that Mr. Elk's half brother, Mr. Red Deer would work as well? I may have access to some red deer sheds plus axis and sika.

Interesting.

I have one side of a decent sized elk shed. I am considering trying to make a few scales.

One question..... no bandsaw for me. I only have a small disk and 1×30 combo. I have hack saws, and an angle grinder. Doubt I'd be able to get it cut cleanly enough???
I'd sure think that ya could get it cut with a hacksaw. the trouble would be holding the antler still. Thats where I think the idea someone had earlier of hot glueing the antler to a board would sure help. Then ya could clamp that down and saw off your slices. Your 5" flat disc on that little guy should work. If not just lay out a sheet of 60 grit on a flat surface and get going. Good luck.

Dave! Great Wip.. If you remember im down where the Palm Trees & Bikini Girls are! Lots of Yoga pants & shorts these days too!:)

Its always a adventure to read through your WIP etc from your ranch! :thumbsup:

I don't really use much Elk/Stag horn since I make mostly Culinary Knives.

One thing I can attest too for all of you other makers. If you have a guest in your shop that has over stayed their welcome..

Just start grinding some bone or Horn and they will be gone in a heartbeat! Phew!:D

Yep no bikinis and palm trees up here for sure Laurence. Suppose to snow again over the weekend. We got yoga class though, Mixed:

nPeUMV4.jpg

5mRUpjv.jpg

Men's class, no goat yoga, only cow:

k3vYgCD.jpg

Always finish class on a high note:

JpmAVH5.jpg

Sometimes I instruct a ladies only class:

Cz5g2nj.jpg

Just kidding they don't need any instruction:

5aVj7Ln.jpg

R Rhinoknives1 Now don't get me wrong we're still civilized and cultured up here. This is my son's dance recital:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW5UF89gpp_/

Sometimes as proud parents ya just bask in the glow:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZK84sWAqvN/

Last edited:
Nice work Dave. I will say that PP goes brown MOST of the time. I have seen purple and I have seen PINK!!!! :eek: So do you think that Mr. Elk's half brother, Mr. Red Deer would work as well? I may have access to some red deer sheds plus axis and sika.

Ya bet it'll work. I've read that red deer, elk and Sambar are very closely related, like cousins. I've never seen the PP stay purple. Maybe not a full solution?

I'd sure think that ya could get it cut with a hacksaw. the trouble would be holding the antler still. Thats where I think the idea someone had earlier of hot glueing the antler to a board would sure help. Then ya could clamp that down and saw off your slices. Your 5" flat disc on that little guy should work. If not just lay out a sheet of 60 grit on a flat surface and get going. Good luck.

Yep no bikinis and palm trees up here for sure Laurence. Suppose to snow again over the weekend. We got yoga class though, Mixed:

nPeUMV4.jpg

5mRUpjv.jpg

Men's class, no goat yoga, only cow:

k3vYgCD.jpg

Always finish class on a high note:

JpmAVH5.jpg

Sometimes I instruct a ladies only class:

Cz5g2nj.jpg

Just kidding they don't need any instruction:

5aVj7Ln.jpg
It’s always good to have a sweet pooch to demonstrate “Down Dog” posture and any other Canine related ones! ;) .........We are suppose to get a fair amount rain as well, it looks like it may make up for six years of drought in our State in one season.——-The people in the burn areas are in for some trouble!

I had one piece that was dark purple and I am slightly red green color blind, so it had to be fairly obvious for me to notice. The pink was on a handle of an Al Pendray wootz integral. It thought is was perhaps a reaction with the sheath leather, but you can also see it faintly around the butt where the stag was sanded to fit.. Anywhere where it is supposed to be white, it is at least partially pink.
Ya bet it'll work. I've read that red deer, elk and Sambar are very closely related, like cousins. I've never seen the PP stay purple. Maybe not a full solution?

Now I've seen the leather dyes do that for sure, which is what I use to use before the PP.

I use leather dye and have had no problems. The dark purple piece was one that I bought and it came that way. The Pendray knife went pink over about a 5 year period after I bought it.
Now I've seen the leather dyes do that for sure, which is what I use to use before the PP.

It’s always good to have a sweet pooch to demonstrate “Down Dog” posture and any other Canine related ones! ;) .........We are suppose to get a fair amount rain as well, it looks like it may make up for six years of drought in our State in one season.——-The people in the burn areas are in for some trouble!

Looks like I edited that previous post after ya read it. Check the dance recital. We've been out of the drought up here for a couple years now. We got ducks in Laguna Ocho Anos. We hadn't even had water there for eight years.

B8BcepB.jpg

I was worried the goldfish were gonna make a break for it:

EMZmPdF.jpg

I use leather dye and have had no problems. The dark purple piece was one that I bought and it came that way. The Pendray knife went pink over about a 5 year period after I bought it.

Hmm that's interesting. I'm gonna bet that purple one was not a complete solution but I'm just guessing. Interesting on the Pendray, I think I remember you mentioning that before. I have had that do it to me with the leather dyes though and not as well too. I've never seen that with the PP. And man I do a bunch, that pile on my workbench at the beginning of this thread is gone. I need to do some trading.

I have more than one vice. I could probably clamp it down (padded with some cardboard).

I have plenty of sa diaper sheets and a pane of glass I use to fix edges sometimes, or to convex knives when I dont want to use the belt sander

Thank you this is a great thread.
I can see the wisdom of buying a large shed and then band sawing the scales from that. I have a local pet store that sells all sizes of elk antler. I’ve bought some medium pieces to use but after reading your WIP I’ll be getting the larger pieces. Can’t wait to try your process.

Should mention that I no longer use the 14 inch bandsaw to cut up elk. I do all my shed processing on my portaband on a swag table. A LOT safer. This little saw really has replace the other for everything. I gave the 14 incher away.

Should mention that I no longer use the 14 inch bandsaw to cut up elk. I do all my shed processing on my portaband on a swag table. A LOT safer. This little saw really has replace the other for everything. I gave the 14 incher away.
Thanks. I have one as well and it really is handy!

Back