Protection knife against wild animals.

Seriously, I'll play. I would want about a 6 inch blade, slinder belly and a very pointy tip. You get one chance to stab this sucker to the hilt and hurt the bear enough for you to get away. Benchmade CSK 2 or a Buck Nighthawk. Since I have sold both of them I sure hope I don't run into any bears!

People who start these kind of threads are always the subject of ridicule, but I think people underestimate our capacity to defend ourselves against wild animals. Humans are not these creatures usual prey, and any kind of resistance will make them think twice, let alone a deep stab wound. You hear many many stories about people who defended themselves against wild animals with less than a knife, so yeah, I'd rather have a knife than nothing in the type of scenario that the OP is talking about. To answer the question though, any knife that is pointy will do, a Kabar USMC would probably be as good as anything else as well as offering you a fair bit of value as a utility knife.

I would wager that the badass "You're mine" was actually more of screaming like a girl with a little bit of crying. But of course that makes for a worse but funnier story. This story proves that aggression towards animals is a dumb idea, though.

Hahahaha I won't take that bet, you're probably right. He wasn't being actively aggressive to it though. They were just both at the wrong place at the wrong time when it showed up for a drink while he was having his lunch.

i'd rather throw a ham and cheese sandwich at the bear than try to fight it with a knife. much better chance of survival.:D

Hahahaha I won't take that bet, you're probably right. He wasn't being actively aggressive to it though. They were just both at the wrong place at the wrong time when it showed up for a drink while he was having his lunch.

I can picture a grown man choking a stag screaming like a girl. Quite the funny picture, but admittedly I can only imagine the stag reacting like Bart being choked by Homer.

I have seen dozens of black bears over the years, well beyond a hundred in total
I have had them in my yard on numerous occasions and remember my dad having to shoot one on our back porch when I was a kid
I have seen dozens of grizzlies as well
I have also seen cougars, wolves, coyotes and pretty much anything that you can hunt here in British Columbia
This happened less than 2 blocks from my house http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/news...+after+Mission+bear+attack/8654293/story.html
It is obvious from some of the other posts that others replying to you are also familiar with wild animals
Some of us are speaking from experience here
Hehe ok... Here is my typical day on the trail. We load up the kids.. Son is 4 years old.. daughter is 14 months. We bring drinks and such and walk for about 5 miles and turn back. Takes a couple hours. We mess around... throw rocks.. climb a few rocks.. etc etc. We walk down the New River trail. This trail is lined by houses so im not scared of getting lost. The entire trail from what im told spans 3 states.. its HUGE!!. But I seen a black bear on my doorstep. How many have seen a black bear? Now how many have seen a blackbear at there door? My Wife seen a mountain lion on the side of the road. We are around allot of wildlife... Changes of us getting attacked are very SLIM. But in the event something does happen.. Im gonna fight to save my family.. Whatever it takes... My ZT560 would slice and dice.. its a VERY nice knife... but i dont think it would effect a bear very much. So... Which knife.. if your so lucky to get a strike would you pick

Dkenz, being just up the road from you a bit, I've had cats at my door before. Short of shooting them, a can of Wasp spray works like a charm. You get a 20' spray, and I've never seen an animal stick around after being blasted in the face with it.

I don't carry any knife for defense against wildlife....I carry a 357 magnum revolver for that purpose. Agree with the previous post that animals have paws full of knives that make them deadly in close quarters....think CQB! I carry a fixed blade on hikes.....think Matt Lamey bowie...for wood processing and general camp purposes. My father always said if you bring a knife to a knife fight you're an idiot!!

Make sure it is unaffected by salt water as well. Wouldn't want that bad boy getting rusty while you are on the way to the hospital.

Personally I'd just pry out the bear's eyes with my CRKT Eat'n Tool. But I'm trained in the ancient martial art of bear-fu. Anyone who hasn't obtained proper bear-defense training is just asking to be a victim.

The only problem that I would have with wasp spray is what lasting effects that it would have on an animal
Bear spray wears off and doesn't have lasting effects
I don't know if wasp spray would cause permanent eye damage that could cause the animal to slowly starve to death
I believe that you either kill it quick, or use something without lasting effects
Dkenz, being just up the road from you a bit, I've had cats at my door before. Short of shooting them, a can of Wasp spray works like a charm. You get a 20' spray, and I've never seen an animal stick around after being blasted in the face with it.
Back to a knife I also think that any knife designed for killing wild hogs would also work

Great post
Personally I'd just pry out the bear's eyes with my CRKT Eat'n Tool. But I'm trained in the ancient martial art of bear-fu. Anyone who hasn't obtained proper bear-defense training is just asking to be a victim.

I love the fact that this has become a popular thread. I still see people recommending a gun.. Hell yeah... my 40Cal S&W would do the trick from afar.. But for those that have not read the entire thing i cannot own a firearm atm... after my 10 year period is up i can. Thats still 2 years away. My wife is still able to own a firearm.. but she has like a 9mm etc etc.. weak guns.

For those of you wondering... The reason i cant carry a gun is because i had a 3rd Offence DUI in Michigan.. which is a Felony. 8 years ago. I didn't harm no one just at wrong place at wrong time. hehe

A lot of people here fail to realize that carrying a hand cannon is not realistic for us Canadians... just saying.

Arrested because I was in drivers seat. Truck wasn't even started.. Keys in the truck qualified not even started.. But here i am asking about knifes... Ima sorta an expert of sorts.. I have throwing knifes/axes and pretty good at it. I have a Rare GIL Hibben knife thats worth close to 1 grand. Just stated getting into real use knifes... My ZT560 is awsome

in 2 years. after 10 year paperwork i can own a gun again according to the feds

Back