Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Ooohhh love me some spalting.

Got the Shop munchies, can't beat sardines and root beer.
IMG_20171231_174005043-1024x1820.jpg

We definitely think alike. The pointy blade of the bottom drawing is exactly what I think would pair up with a bullnose perfectly.

g62Id4Fh.jpg

Something like this G.L. Drew?
cYO0Q3w.jpg

Very much like that blade profile Mack.

That is some nice stuff right there Scott.

Quarter sawn sycamore seems interesting. I thought that was usually reserved for oaks. Have you worked much with sycamore, Scott?

If I was in the market for these, I would like to see some old hedge fence post handles. Maybe with brass or copper pins. On the other hand, I really like the brown/natural colored phenolics on a couple of the other knives I have. They show quite a bit of character in coloration for a synthetic material.

XKHmqY4h.jpg

Those are nice, yes I have worked with Sycamore it's pretty abundant around here most folks use it for firewood. They planted a lot of them early last century around here and they get really big so there's always some being taking down somewhere. There is a tree guy about a mile down the road that that gets them from time to time and I can go through and pick the yard. If they are big enough I quarter saw them for bowl blanks on the lathe. This is the only pic I have of one and not the best but if you get the right piece it looks amazing.
Spalted Quarter Sawn Sycamore.jpg
Quarter sawn sycamore seems interesting. I thought that was usually reserved for oaks. Have you worked much with sycamore, Scott?

If I was in the market for these, I would like to see some old hedge fence post handles. Maybe with brass or copper pins. On the other hand, I really like the brown/natural colored phenolics on a couple of the other knives I have. They show quite a bit of character in coloration for a synthetic material.

XKHmqY4h.jpg

Those are nice, yes I have worked with Sycamore it's pretty abundant around here most folks use it for firewood. They planted a lot of them early last century around here and they get really big so there's always some being taking down somewhere. There is a tree guy about a mile down the road that that gets them from time to time and I can go through and pick the yard. If they are big enough I quarter saw them for bowl blanks on the lathe. This is the only pic I have of one and not the best but if you get the right piece it looks amazing.
View attachment 822227

That looks great! Almost looks like a spalted maple.

I always enjoy seeing your projects. Thanks for sharing.
Lots of skill in this little subforum, and I dig it.

That looks great! Almost looks like a spalted maple.

I always enjoy seeing your projects. Thanks for sharing.
Lots of skill in this little subforum, and I dig it.
Thanks, it keeps me off the streets and from killing stupid people. :eek::D

All is quiet on the Eastern Front - did you freeze, Mr. Redmeadow?

Five below here, but I'm thawed. Been a tough week for shop time unfortunately. Little bits here and there. Sheaths are dyed, need stitched and finished. Sharpened the edge of the #1 Wharncliffe, it is a foul little creature, in a good way:eek:

For anyone that's on the Instagram, this mangler and our own @Knife1987 started a profile called The Makers Group (@the_makers_group ). It just started and we've had a good response getting Makers together so far.

So - any decisions on the wood handle for the Model 2s?

I offer fumed white or bog oak as a nice option.

Finish this up with some low gloss tung oil. Can be simply an ammonia wipe on the wood or place the handle(s) overnight in a sealed plastic container with a reservoir (tuna or cat food can or the like) filled with household ammonia.

Here is an example -

Nice rich and deep brown color which is easy to achieve add some great flex or medullary rays of the oak grain and you have a winner :thumbsup:.

Just another option...

Ray

Last edited:
Quiet in here. All you can hear is the distant sound of steel mangling, leather stacking and cowbell.

I hope you're busy in the shop, John.

I've decide I need to start a project as soon as it warms up a bit and Mrs. Rupe doesn't need to park in our one-car garage. I'm thinking of building something like this:

https://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/viewer-projects/tommys-wall-mounted-folding-workbench/

Not as fancy. More than likely 1.5" to 2" plywood top with a 2K urethane finish. Maybe 5' X 2'.

My son, Frank, bought me a set of paper sharpening wheels for Christmas. I know Richard J uses them but I've never really put much thought into buying them for myself. Frank found them on YouTube, had to have them and got us both a set. I've got a variable speed bench grinder that would be perfect. I've also got a nice vise, a 4" bench top belt sander with 6" a disc and a bunch of other tools collecting dust because I lack a decent bench.

I'v seen a few of them done before Chris, they can turn out pretty neat.

I'v seen a few of them done before Chris, they can turn out pretty neat.
Rupe! I have a smaller plastic & metal one from Israel that’s portable enough for me to bring in my truck to the Farmers Market and other job sites. I’ll get a link for you ..

Back