Qs + Let's see your EDC fixed blades

I'd started a thread asking if I was the only one who didn't currently own a folder, and that resulted in usual claims of how superior folders are for concealment, etc, Regardless, it's a personal pref and there's no right/wrong answer per se, but for those who EDC a fixed blade:

*Have you always done so, or was it a process transitioning from folder to fixed?
*Do you tend to go back and forth depending on what you're wearing?
*Why do you prefer a fixed blade for EDC?
*What have you found +/- of fixed vs folders for your needs?

Make sure to post a pic of your EDC fixed blade(s) with responses!

Last edited:
Started off with folders at age 7 and it wasn't till I got a mini neck knife sometime as a teenager that I first began carrying belt knives and don't always carry one.

It's a utilitarian tool which happens to see the most use at work, being a tool it's carried open on my left hip.
Not that it's legal to conceal here in NorCal if I wanted to.

Currently it's this.

At work I have found a belt knife to be the best one handed blade, but it kind of ends up having to go a bit behind me and I have to look back to get it re-sheathed. The folder in my watch pocket takes a little longer and two hands ( not actually a problem at all ) but it's actually faster and easier to put away.

I'd started a thread asking if I was the only one who didn't currently own a folder, and that resulted in usual claims of how superior folders are for concealment, etc, something those who have found the right EDC fixed blade know that simply is not the case. Regardless, it's a personal pref and there's no right/wrong answer per se, but for those who EDC a fixed blade:

Lolwut? I carry small fixed blades semi-regularly, and I've built up a collection that are focused on being as small and concealable as possible, but stating ". . . that resulted in usual claims of how superior folders are for concealment, etc, something those who have found the right EDC fixed blade know that simply is not the case" does not make it remotely true. If you state boldly with confidence, in a loud clear voice, that two plus two equals five, your math is still wrong.

These are some of my favorite small-but-still-usable-fixed blades, for example:

F0oIBOc.jpg

I own many larger small fixed blades, but these in particular are all very small knives--so small that I've pocket carried every knife in the picture quite comfortably. The perspective skews the size a bit here, the Arno Bernard at the bottom is about 5" overall length, the Zubeng at the top is about 7" overall length.

Even these tiny knives are harder to carry than a small folder, but not only that they're harder to carry than a large folder. Consider that tiny knife at the bottom, the Arno Bernard Meerkat, next to this 4" bladed Benchmade Fact:

OkI9SM1.jpg

You don't have to compare a Spyderco Dragonfly or Cold Steel Tuff Lite to the little Meerkat, because even that nearly 9" overall length Fact is actually smaller than the Meerkat, and that's not even counting the sheath:

uzEKtyz.jpg

You wanting to believe that folders are not superior for ease of carry and concealment does not make it become true. Two plus two is still four . . .

You wanting to believe that folders are not superior for ease of carry and concealment does not make it become true. Two plus two is still four . . .

That's what I have found to be true. I have edited the OP however as to not go down that rabbit hole again and stay on topic. Good pics BTW.

IMG_0285.JPG Still carry a folder, but I have always liked a small fixed blade that can slip into my front left pocket. Handy, I just like a fixed blade, but I admit, the folder gets pulled out first. But that fixed blade is usually close by. I mostly use the fixed to cut up boxes at work, cut nylon straps and cut up oranges for a snack, cut up a cheese block for crackers. Currently I like my JK Worker. That is the bottom knife. I really like some of the sheaths by Dave Ferry of Horsewright knives, would think horizontal carry would be an option for EDC carry.

Last edited:
Really hard to go wrong with that one. I was always amazed the blade is under 3" yet feels/performs like a bigger blade.
Yeah, that definitely is part of the allure. I carry it at the 4 o'clock position, with ease and comfort. That particular Izula2 has been on me, everyday for 5+ straight years, replacing an Izula that was there for 2 straight.
I have been really eyeing up those White River Backpacker pros and capers though.

Yeah, that definitely is part of the allure. I carry it at the 4 o'clock position, with ease and comfort. That particular Izula2 has been on me, everyday for 5+ straight years, replacing an Izula that was there for 2 straight.
I have been really eyeing up those White River Backpacker pros and capers though.

I hear nothing but good things about it and I really like the looks of those too. My EDC now, which I have been quite happy with. EDC.jpg

I carry a Bradford guardian 3 or 4. Complimented with a Alox cadet or another traditional. If I can’t do it with a sak Alox cadet them outcomes the fixed. I have had more folders and spent more on folders but always gravitate towards fixed blades.

3 Fixed Blades.jpeg 3 Fixed Blades Sheathed.jpeg
I started carrying a fixed blade as an EDC about a year ago, initially for work. I found it easier to not have to open and close a folder, usually with one hand, while doing all kinds of other things. Eventually it just became my method of carry. These are three I always have close, but I have an Izula II as pictured above, and often work with that as a neck knife, as that is how it's easiest to access. I often still carry a folder too, but usually one with a thinner blade stock and a really well kept edge.
Another reason for carrying a fixed blade is because I legally can in most places / states where I travel, and I feel it is important to exercise that right.

I carry a folder for EDC. As a back up to a fixed blade. Currently this is a TOPS Skinat, similar in many ways to the Guardian 4. No, more like a Schrade 154 OT drop point on steroids. The factory grind is too thick, in my opinion, and needs some work thinning it out to really perform well. But it's a very handy knife. Giving serious consideration to a White River knives Sendero Classic, tho. I'm a fan of Jerry Fisk, but can't afford his work. The finger guard on this model will take a bit of getting used to. I've carried in a pouch type sheath for so long, a strap is going to feel almost alien! I like to think I'm not too old to learn a new trick, or two. Altho I was given a senior-discount at a taco stand the other day, she had NO way of knowing my age! Dammit! Anyway...

When I started carrying a knife every day, about 1980, it was a fixed blade. I've carried a folder exclusively a few times for extended periods, but never felt the same connection as I do to a fixed blade. It just appears, almost a part of the hand, work gets done, and it goes away just as smoothly. Even the slickest of folders takes more effort.

I own a few small fixed blades and would prefer to carry them but have to do so openly where I live and that just doesn’t work for me in most circumstances.

That ESEE paint sure seems to be holding up well after 5+ years of edc carry and use.

I tend to carry folders most often but I like to rotate fixed blades in there. I prefer crossdraw carry but sometimes keeping it hidden is more difficult and is slightly frowned upon at work and are completely off limits when I'm on the production floor.

My primary EDC fixed blade is off on a pass-around. I have a wharncliffe of the same model, I just haven't adjusted the sheath yet for crossdraw yet. And then I have a little guy that hands out on my desk for slicing apples. I tried a Bradford 3.5 and like the knife but the handles too thick for EDC for me. It was pretty pleasant for hiking though.

I'm starting to move more towards fixed blade EDC. I've tried it a few times but I find myself really picky about the knife and sheath so I need to kind of sort that out. I had one like the wharncliffe a few years ago I sold after the company I worked for made a big stink about "weapons" on the premises after someone left a handgun in a bathroom. We now have new owners who care much less about that sort of thing, or most things in general. Nice not being part of a big corporation again, in some regards at least.

Now, I'm trying to work with a forum knife maker to design something specific for EDC for my tastes.
dkdgn5El.jpg

H3PLWJDl.jpg

YoL50A9l.jpg

jfq9AUBl.jpg

I have carried small fixed blades edc for many decades. I prefer a crossdraw horizontal type sheath. As a rancher I spend quite a bit of time horseback and ya get livestock, ropes and folks involved and things can get western on occasion. A small fixed blade is ideal for these situations as it is ready to go when ya need it, no unfolding. Even in non emergency situations often one hand is busy doing something else and being able to grab that knife with either hand (another reason for my preference for the crossdraw, I can grab it with either hand) and use it as necessary. Whether I'm horseback, driving the truck, sitting in an office chair typing (like now) or working in the shop, I carry a small fixed blade. the only time I ever change to a folder is if I have to go down the mountain to a big city and dress up. Then sometimes and only sometimes I switch to a trapper in the pocket in a buckaroo pouch. The crossdraw carry is secure, comfortable, unobtrusive and not limiting in what ya can do. The wife doctoring a calf. Even all squatted over like this her knife and sheath are out of the way:

14W0BBe.jpg

IYpc840.jpg

She carries one of my damascus Gordos with stag carved blue bone handle:

MHLEZrG.jpg

Or she's modeling a pair of Charimitas (leggings) we just finished before shipping them to the customer:

EAdY9l9.jpg

Whether I'm test driving a new horse for the wife to see how calm he is:

Mq5CXWv.jpg

Castrating a calf:

SbxqGZ1.jpg

wSSRIZQ.jpg

Or even going to town and roping for fun, I have it on:

Ppwtoxm.jpg

Its just there always:

B65SysD.jpg

But thats just me:

6u3omMy.jpg

Getting a lil western:

fH0aPwa.jpg

But ole Battleship got em drug out. No need to cut myself out of a wreck that time:

xdAOsYI.jpg

Current EDC is the ramshorn one. It has a grinding defect that I wouldn't sell so I kept it for myself:

fs38ly9.jpg

About 5.5" oal length, 26C3 high carbon steel at 64RC with a simple clay coat hamon. These two models, The Gordo (the ramshorn one ) and The Vaquero (the other two) are the knife models (in lots of different variations) that I have carried for quite some time now, maybe 10-12 years.

YxVOqq4.jpg

Back