• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Question about sales dispute with a member

Thanks for the input guys! Glad to know I'm not way off track here.

I did send the seller a pic of the untaped box. I also sent him a link to this post the moment I posted it, so we'll see what happens before I identify him. I also filed a PayPal dispute. He wonders if I'm being fishy, and I wonder the same about him a bit, but we both have significant good feedback. So I'm not accusing him of being sketchy, just failing to take sensible packaging measures, so he should have to go through the hassle of dealing with USPS not me.

The amount of tape that I use on Priority boxes always irritates my wife but I put 3 strips all of the way around lengthwise and usually 4 crosswise. It may seem like overkill but I have received many high-end items that were either open or almost open over the years so an extra 10-20 cents of tape is a small price to pay.

Insurance is bought by the Seller and covers his ass. I don't think you can even file a claim on insurance since you didn't buy it.

I tape the bubble wrapped knife to the inside of the Priority Mail box. Then when closed wrap tape around the length and width of the box. It ain't coming out unless you disassemble the box.

Good Luck.

This would come under theft, most likely in the USPS system . If seller bought insurance he(or she) should file a claim with USPS. It is very unlikely they will pay on the claim, since the package was delivered.
If the seller doesn't offer to refund , you should file a claim with PP-show appropriate photo's and be precise about what took place. Even though IMO you should be awarded a refund, it might go either way, since theoretically you could have removed the contents. On the other hand the seller may never have put anything in. As I said most likely is USPS.
This is an area where some members have a problem. Very few are outright thieves, but for some loss of money blurs their vission of right and wrong. Seller should pay. A bit of a hard pill to swallow, but the right thing to do.
Good luck
Tape the heck out of the boxes. Taping the ends of small flat rate boxes is a must-they will open if crushed. When possible I tape the knife(in baggie) to the box. and always fill the box with packing matterial

First off - a crying shame to ever lose a knife. But I am going to go a bit further than Peter here. Let's say the OP is a no-good dirty thief that rips people off in their spare time (I am acquainted, and they are a stand up person); what would be different if they simply took the knife out after delivery and then just cried foul to get a free knife? These days you really have to go above and beyond to protect yourself, whether the buyer or the seller. If I could not be available to meet the carrier upon delivery - I would pay extra for "Adult Signature". You can always refuse the package and you hold no liability whatsoever. But, most people can't be available when every package is delivered. A package that the USPS scans delivered with no noted exceptions is very hard to prove was empty. Paypal may make you whole - but they may not. Again, I know the OP and have no doubts they received an empty box - but fair judgments can't be made in such a situation by a third party. Hopefully paypal will refund the OP's money and cover the seller with their seller protection policies. Good tape on the box will only protect the seller from honest crooks; as the same thing can be done with a taped box. Also, the seller could have just sent a rock - it happens.

BTW, either party can file a USPS claim (and Priority SFRB has at least $50 insurance and maybe $100); but they are not going to pay because their carrier delivered the package with no exception noted.

The onus is always on the shipper to pursue a loss or damage claim.

They paid the freight and the carrier will only respond to them.

I would press the Paypal button right now. Not point in trying to discuss.

This. The carrier will do nothing for you, the insurance was not purchased by you. File a claim with PayPal. Glad you used goods and services.

OP: even if you should be able to resolve your issue with the seller, you must keep the original box as evidence. The USPS will ask for that box and even if the seller ends up filing a claim, you may either have to take it to your local USPS for inspection or you may have to send it back to the seller as evidence for his claim. Pictures will not be enough. Good luck in your search for a resolution to this very unfortunate case.

Thanks all, esp knifeswapper. I offered to send the seller the box, but he has decided to refund the $$ and be done with it. Although he still claims I got the item (not identified here to remain incognito since he's doing the refund) for free . . . hopefully in the future he will tape both sides of the box . . . this was only a $50 sale price but few sales here are that cheap!

Last edited:
Thanks all, esp knifeswapper. I offered to send the seller the box, but he has decided to refund the $$ and be done with it. Although he still claims I got the item (not identified here to remain incognito since he's doing the refund) for free . . . hopefully in the future he will tape both sides of the box . . . this was only a $50 sale price but few sales here are that cheap!

He still claims YOU got the item for free??? Yeah, right. Like you have nothing better to do than steal a $50 knife from someone. Like he is so sure of himself that he won't even come on here and explain just exactly how he knows you got his knife for free, or explain how he always tapes just one side of the box and nothing bad has ever happened before. You are the one who is here in plain sight trying to make sure you do the right thing while he sits back behind the scenes afraid to come forward on his own, afraid to use too much super expensive tape to help ensure the knife actually gets to you, and apparently too afraid to pursue the issue himself with the USPS. We may never know what happened to the knife, but I am pretty dang sure I know what did not happen to it.

Thankfully you got your money back.

BTW, either party can file a USPS claim (and Priority SFRB has at least $50 insurance and maybe $100); but they are not going to pay because their carrier delivered the package with no exception noted.
My experience has been contrary to this. I had an empty package delivered to me from Fort Henry a few years ago - USPS told me and my local shipping service that they would only deal with the party that posted the package and paid for the postage.

Tape the heck out of the boxes. Taping the ends of small flat rate boxes is a must-they will open if crushed. When possible I tape the knife(in baggie) to the box. and always fill the box with packing matterial
I tape the bubble wrapped knife to the inside of the Priority Mail box. Then when closed wrap tape around the length and width of the box. It ain't coming out unless you disassemble the box.
The above is wise advice. Tape the item to the inside of the box, heavily. Make it so the box or padded envelope would have to be completely destroyed to get the item out. Even if the crook gets the item out, the packaging left over would be obviously tampered with (IE, destroyed) and a claim of theft greatly bolstered.

Another thing I have started doing is using a different type of tape under the packing tape. It doesn't have to be a lot, just a piece or two on every seam. I do this to make cutting open the box, taking the item, and taping it back up without notice, virtually impossible. I use some black duct tape I have around the house. Just a few pieces here and there and then tape the crap out of the box with clear packing tape like I normally would.

Unfortunately, in the world we now live in, criminals are everywhere and the are getting more desperate. Fortunately, they are still just as lazy and stupid as always. Most of avoiding being a victim of crime is prevention. With a little knowledge, a few extra minutes, and a bunch of tape, you can make your package look like the least inviting prospect for an easy score.

The techniques I described above I learned here in the GB&U. This is a great place to learn about what to do, and not to do in this hobby. Someone mentioned a sticky or a note about packaging recommendations. While it is a good idea, in practice it may not be worth the effort and space on the page as people already don't read the stickies and rules we have. :(

BTW, either party can file a USPS claim (and Priority SFRB has at least $50 insurance and maybe $100)
Will USPS pay n insurance claim to someone who did not buy insurance? I have not heard of this. BTW, priority shipping comes with $50 insurance if I remember correctly.

He did the right thing in refunding your money
Understandable he decided not to pursue it with USPS. They IMO.eat up more time then $50 is worth
Not understandable he is accusing you of stealing the item. Completely impossible, no. Likely. also, no and certainly no more likely then him sending an empty box. He screwed up doing the right thing by saying that.
I can just imagine Fishface's 19 year plot to rip off $50 :)

Will USPS pay n insurance claim to someone who did not buy insurance? I have not heard of this. BTW, priority shipping comes with $50 insurance if I remember correctly.

Whoever has proof of insurance and a tracking number can file. Part of the requested information is who will receive the settlement if I recall correctly. Standard Priority comes with $50; Priority Express comes with $100 (if memory serves).

Whoever has proof of insurance and a tracking number can file. Part of the requested information is who will receive the settlement if I recall correctly. Standard Priority comes with $50; Priority Express comes with $100 (if memory serves).
Got it. Learned something new. Still, the person filling the claim needs to have the receipt for the insurance.

Sounds like you already filed the claim, but worth mentioning is that in this case, you should file it as Significantly Not as Described - as in, you ordered a knife, not an empty box. If you file as Item Not Received, I've heard PayPal tends to just look at the delivery status on USPS, and rule on the side of the seller if the item shows as delivered.

But, yeah, as others have said it's completely on the seller.

Sounds like you already filed the claim, but worth mentioning is that in this case, you should file it as Significantly Not as Described - as in, you ordered a knife, not an empty box. If you file as Item Not Received, I've heard PayPal tends to just look at the delivery status on USPS, and rule on the side of the seller if the item shows as delivered.

But, yeah, as others have said it's completely on the seller.
That's interesting.

If you file as Item Not Received, I've heard PayPal tends to just look at the delivery status on USPS, and rule on the side of the seller if the item shows as delivered.

I hope that isn't the case with me but will find out soon. I bought from a very shady website and should have known not to buy off it, but figured paypal was safe even if was scam. The company sent me a tracking number, that shows it was delivered same date and time as another package that actually did arrive! The tracking numbers synced up somehow even tho they're different tracking numbers. The shady company hacked this shit and I don't know how to show ups or paypal the seller is a hacker/scammer. Trying to get any compnay on phone these days is impossible. No emails back. Waiting hrs upon hrs of waiting and never getting anyone on phone customer service. I've had so many problems with things have purchased online last month. Not buying ANYTHING do not NEED for rest of the year. Very worried paypal isn't going to figure out the company is a scam. The item I bought is not even on website anymore. UGH.

Last edited:
Th
My experience has been contrary to this. I had an empty package delivered to me from Fort Henry a few years ago - USPS told me and my local shipping service that they would only deal with the party that posted the package and paid for the postage.

Huh interesting. When I checked the USPS website it seemed to want the receipt for the mailing, which as the buyer was not in my possession, but maybe I misread it.

Ulf maybe it will work if you send PayPal the tracking # for the package that did arrive with a pic of the package showing that sender's address and a receipt w/tracking # for that item?

Back