Questions for Ellie

I have emailed and messaged several times, to a few different people about getting made a moderator. No reply still.

Mainly, I want to be able to add some sticky threads so that important information can't get buried. I believe that would really help answer some questions before they have a chance to turn into Aisle 9.

Thanks for the reply. I know the bladeforums moderators would like to see this happen as well. Cheers

Dave

I have emailed and messaged several times, to a few different people about getting made a moderator. No reply still.

Mainly, I want to be able to add some sticky threads so that important information can't get buried. I believe that would really help answer some questions before they have a chance to turn into Aisle 9.

It looks like Spark is the only one who can change your status to moderator, so a PM to him and a thread in Tech Support should do it. Hope this helps.

Heck, I wonder if we could start a thread in tech for Ellie. It's not like there's a multitude of S!K employees active on here that would cause confusion as to who should be made a mod. It doesn't cost anything to change someone to a mod, does it? If Spark just changed SURVIVE! Ellie and SURVIVE! both to mods, that would do it, right?

Heck, I wonder if we could start a thread in tech for Ellie. It's not like there's a multitude of S!K employees active on here that would cause confusion as to who should be made a mod. It doesn't cost anything to change someone to a mod, does it? If Spark just changed SURVIVE! Ellie and SURVIVE! both to mods, that would do it, right?

I considered that but didn't want to overstep. I did contact Esav and he suggested the PM to Spark followed up with the thread in Tech.

I considered that but didn't want to overstep. I did contact Esav and he suggested the PM to Spark followed up with the thread in Tech.

Good point as always, HK. This one seems like a pretty straight shot and a win/win for everyone involved, but a middle man rarely helps a situation!

I have PMed Spark a few times and emailed him in the past and contacted another moderator to ask what I could do besides emailing incessantly. I will send another PM and try the tech thread.

I have PMed Spark a few times and emailed him in the past and contacted another moderator to ask what I could do besides emailing incessantly. I will send another PM and try the tech thread.

Thank you Ellie. I know Spark does watch Tech Support, so a thread there should help. I'll be glad to stop in and bump it to the top from time to time, as I'm sure a few of us will. Also, I don't want to bug you incessantly either, so I'll watch for the thread and leave it at that. Thanks again.

Hey Ellie,

Do you know what Rockwell hardness the 4.7s in CPM 154 were done to?
Also, is this just a one off batch, or do you have any plans for future runs in this steel for the 4.7 or any other models??

Thanks!

Great question Karoi! I've been wondering the same things. I know they state on the website, that all their knives are expertly heat treated to 59.5-60.5, but I would like to know if they have an exact number for this batch of CPM-154.

Great question Karoi! I've been wondering the same things. I know they state on the website, that all their knives are exppertly heat treated to 59.5-60.5, but I would like to know if they have an exact number for this batch of CPM-154.

It would also be nice to know if PHT did any "tweaks" to make it perform better, or if it was just done pretty much to the same general/standard CPM process for this steel?!

Karoi, did you pick one up in CPM-154? Just wondering your thoughts on it. Or anyone else that has one. I've always wanted to try this steel. I should have mine before the end of January, if they're shipping out on time.

Great question Karoi! I've been wondering the same things. I know they state on the website, that all their knives are expertly heat treated to 59.5-60.5, but I would like to know if they have an exact number for this batch of CPM-154.

Rockwell testing is only so accurate, and even two identical and certified testing machines can give variant readings off the surface of a test specimen. I would take the 59.5-60.5 as their target hardness, but sending the specimen in to another tester might come back with a reading of 59 or 61 or even another point or so away from that. Don't get too hung up on the exact rockwell number, it only tells a little part of the story. Rc values are a range.

That said, if one manufacturer or company is HT'ing their blades to 58 Rc and another is aiming for 60 Rc, there may be a real difference in the final outcome based on their HT methods to achieve those target values even if both end up being 59 Rc when tested.

And then you have custom makers who push the envelope to achieve 63-65+ Rc in various steels :eek: Be it 63 or 65 on a given test, the real difference is in the matrix and how they went about trying to achieve that Rc range.

Thanks Chiral! I now understand why manufacturers usually state a targeted range for RC, asopposed to an exact number.
I suppose S!K's target for the RC at around 60 for all their steel options is probably the balance in having a blade that is not too hard/brittle/difficult to sharpen, but not too soft.

I remember when S!K launched the new website, the instagram feed showed anything with a #surviveknives. For the last few months, it's only shown posts directly from SURVIVE! Was this a deliberate change or did something else happen? I liked the old way, but I'm sure if there was a change on purpose it was for a good reason.

I remember when S!K launched the new website, the instagram feed showed anything with a #surviveknives. For the last few months, it's only shown posts directly from SURVIVE! Was this a deliberate change or did something else happen? I liked the old way, but I'm sure if there was a change on purpose it was for a good reason.

Instagram changed something with their api settings in their last big update so the photos won't automatically populate like they used to. The helpful website folks put up the current photos. It is on my to do list to figure out how to update them, but the to do list is long...

Instagram changed something with their api settings in their last big update so the photos won't automatically populate like they used to. The helpful website folks put up the current photos. It is on my to do list to figure out how to update them, but the to do list is long...

Thanks for the response!

Definitely don't make this a priority now, especially on my account. Having a link to instagram is still helpful, so now that I know the reasoning, I'm content with the way it is.

Back