Rambo 4 knife

I'd like to see HI make a copy of the knife Stallone made and used in Rambo 4, only thicker. 5/16" to 3/8" would be sweet. Man, you could chop ray skin with that.:D

Yeah, it kinda looks like those Chinese war swords, only shorter. I like the clipped point, kind of like a coping blade, only MUCH bigger.
Have you seen Rambo 4? Much better than 2 and 3. Much grittier. More realistic. Less laughable. Very graphic.

why would you want to see a knock off of a copyrighted design that you can already buy?

that's ... not ethical...

Bladite

Fine, I'll make my own. Now, where can I get the dimensions.
Why, is because I'd rather have HI quality than Chicom quality.

Fine, I'll make my own. Now, where can I get the dimensions.
Why, is because I'd rather have HI quality than Chicom quality.

I'm not sure what chicom means but Im guessing it's something to do with chinese and communist?

I understand the reasoning, I too prefer better quality. But instead of going ofr an exact duplicate where there are certain "issues", try asking the manufacturers for their own take on the design.

I doubt he means a stroke for stroke knock off. There really isn't much to Mr. Hibben's design. It's incredibly primal. I don't mean that as a knock to the design. I adore his work, and to be honest I live close enough to him that I really should have tried to meet him at some point by now.

I just think that there is enough vagueness that the kamis could do a take on the blade shape without having to do a total copy. Of course, they already make a few similar shapes that would look very close to the design if they simply left the scale on....sounds pretty cool:)

In Burma, that style of knife is like what the kukri is in Nepal. Asking for a copy would be like worrying about copyright infringement about asking to have a kukri made.

When I said, "Fine, I'll make my own." I was being facetious and humorous, not being snotty. Hope it wasn't taken the wrong way.:)

Yes, I would want HI's take on it, not a line for line copy. Kind of like the AK Bowie.
Yes, it is a very basic, primal(crude, if you will) design. That's what I like about it. Form follows function. No show, all go. Strictly business, just like a good villager fit and finish Khuk.
Simple is good.:D

And I think I'll get one too :)

I can just imagine a HI take on a chinese war cleaver (that's a similar design that will be no knock off). Perhaps with the forge finish still on and differentially heat treated.

What folks are saying though is they already make such a beast, only smaller and shiny.

It would be fairly easy to modify the Munk Chunk Cleaver design to fit the bill...

It is one of those I don't have unfortunately but would like to have, had a chance once but no money at the time. :(

:confused:

P1030325.jpg

Last edited:
That is how I imagined how it would look like. Would be interesting if the kamis had a go with this design. Maybe etch the hamon from the differential HT to add to the aesthetics.

Yeah, that. I like that one better than the one from the movie. Great job, killa!:thumbup: And the full sized Chinese war sword too. Then I'd have the full sized chopper and it's understudy. It's a great design. Simple is good.
Gil Hibben knows that. I remember watching the documentary about the movie on the DVD and it claimed that Stallone actually designed and made the knife for the movie. That's what it said. I dunno.

Yes, chicom means Chinese communist. Which means made by prison labor, or at best, low paid unskilled labor. Not what I want in a knife. :thumbdn:

Of course, now we need a good scimitar from HI.

I can see killa_concept's "concept" with a dhar or buffalo horn handle. Give it a villager fit and finish. I'll take one in dhar, horn, satisal, or neem.

Last edited:
Yeah - just a quick 5 minute sketch of what I would like out of a knife with this kind of style.

The movie one had paracord wrap, but if you've ever handled a knife with paracord wrap, you know that it absorbs moisture and muck, meaning you have to switch it out every now and again... also it's horrendous for anything that you foresee yourself chopping with - paracord wrap = terrible shock absorption. I also added a fuller towards the handle to put more weight forward - right behind the sweet spot... I know that sort of goes against the simplicity thing, but I think it would be great for chopping tasks.

A little less curve at the tip and that'd look great.

Remember, in the movie, the knife was improvised by what he had on hand, not because anything was better than anything else.

Make this one with satisal of dhar scales and it'd rule.

I like the drawing of it, looks like a winner, I don't really care what wood they put on the handle, as long as it is wood.

Since it's forged, the fullers don't really affect the simplicity of it. Simple fullers are fine.
I'm not a fan of paracord wrapped handles. I like real handle scales or a one piece handle. A handle like the Tamang or Tarwar would be a sweet option.

True, it was made as a matter of what was available, however the design is a great one. Simple, straightforward, effective. It bears repeating. Simple is good. Form follows function. No frills. All go, no show. Businesslike. Spartan.
I could live with a little less curve to the blade, but I like your design just like it is. In fact, I prefer it. You did a great job on a 5 minute sketch. Had I drawn it, it would have looked like it was drawn by a monkey on crack. Or worse.:D
You should design knives for HI. That one would go great with an AK Bowie.

I think we've found the next great HI knife design. I think this one would be a winner, like the Tamang. Please, Yangdu, get the kamis to make these.

Get this project started, I'd totally get one too!

I'd personally go for killa's concept (gettit :)) but I kinda like it better if it had micarta scales. Dhar wood would be fine too but I like to not worry about my hot and humid environment cracking my scales.

I'd leave the curve in the blade, looks more 'exotic'. I'll be a good fighter and practical as well. and Kami quality as well!

PS: I'd really get one :)

Back