Rambo 4 knife

A bunch of really cool ideas:)
I can hardly wait to see the Kamis version:thumbup:

Mark

I'd actually really like to see the design with a villager finish... It would be cheaper and less time consuming than a a polished model and would be a nice compromise: people who want it shiny can buff it up and those who want it more easily maintained can force a patina. I just finished forcing a patina on my 13" AK and am really loving it (it's been a dedicated kitchen knife, more or less, and I figured it would be easier than just letting it stain over time)

I prefer the villager fit and finish with forge scale left on. By design, this knife is meant to be simple, durable, effective. All business. No flash.

New Kamis are working on HI Rambo:)

Great news, Yangdu! Looks like a great knife for the new kamis to cut their teeth on.

Gonna name it the Jaymo?

Great news, Yangdu! Looks like a great knife for the new kamis to cut their teeth on.

Gonna name it the Jaymo?

I'm flattered. Introducing the newest HI production, the "A-hole from Georgia special." :D

You don't have to name it for me, though I wouldn't complain if you did.

I'd be more than happy to field test one for ya, auntie.

P1030325.jpg

That is a good design. I'm looking forward to seeing these.

The basic design has been around a long time. I'm happy to see HI doing a version. Our own Andy (Fiddleback Forge) has a somewhat similar but shorter knife, the Bow-Legged Chopper:

jcblc100_0805-vi.jpg

dec106_1272-vi.jpg

Andy makes great knives, but I think I'll actually like the HI Jaymbo better, as long as the tip isn't too upswept. :)

John

Which design are the Kamis going for? Any possibilities for a WIP pictures :)

If they are doing killa's design, then hey killa, got a name yet?

Andy makes great knives, but I think I'll actually like the HI Jaymbo better, as long as the tip isn't too upswept. :)

I like the looks of the upswept tip, but agree that a straight blade is more practical. They should try making both.

I like something in between. A bit of sweep, but not as much as in the drawing.

I'm a fan of scale-on finish. I think it is both practical and looks very rugged.

...also, nice to see you posting, John:):thumbup:

There's also the "making of" thread posted here by Aunty.

I believe there was actually only one DotD sale (which Karda has already linked to). The other one or two that were made in that batch were already accounted for before Aunty could even post them up for sale. From my understanding, Aunty had a couple more made up which should be here in a week or two. I believe one is already accounted for by myself, so you might want to contact her if you're interested in one as well.

Glad to see this design is getting interest though! I was quite surprised that my design got turned into an actual knife and even more surprised that people like it! :thumbup:

I like this blade style a lot. I think it is in the style of a golok or topong. My question is what advantages does khukri have over these styles when it comes to overall utility. Slicing, game processing, shelter building?

I like this blade style a lot. I think it is in the style of a golok or topong. My question is what advantages does khukri have over these styles when it comes to overall utility. Slicing, game processing, shelter building?

Here's a little INFO thread I'm working on that might be worth a read:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=720287

Comparing goloks to kukris is like comparing apples to oranges... It's kind of difficult as they're two distinct blade styles. Really, when you ask about utility, I'd say it's a matter of becoming proficient with what you have/get. Having grown up in rural Philippines, I watched my grandfather and other farmers do every imaginable task with their bolos. I'd imagine it's the same for villagers using their kukris in Nepal.

Back