Random Thought Thread

We have a stray cat we adopted as my daughter’s pet, but she pretty much stays out in the porch or patio because my wife has allergies and can’t have any pets in the house.:(

mXvZp8H.png

I got a cat, his name is Mr. Onion. These pictures are from when he was younger and we lived in a place where he could catch a steady supply of rabbits. These days he is mostly limited to rats and smaller, so he's only about 16 pounds, down from his max of 22 when he had really good hunting grounds. He isn't a Maine Coon or anything, he is just a big barn cat that likes to kill and eat everything he can get his paws on.
MrOnionButt.jpg BringMeSoloAndTheWookie.jpg

I also have these two within my pack, although I rarely or ever have mentioned them. The photo is about 5 years old but both of these two sh*theads still look about the same! The cat was "courtesy" of my Daughter who conveniently forgot about him when she went to college :rolleyes:. The Yorkie (also a male) has both parented and has raised the feline who now thinks that he's also a dog! My big GSD is subservient to both the Yorkie and also the Kitty!!! :eek:

1GYl2ma.jpg

I'm trying to talk my wife into a cat and out of a dog, way better for our current non-fenced yard, and busy schedules with the baby and a toddler.

What breed is cuddly but still useful? I need to be able to put it outside, but I'm often allergic to litter boxes or whatever, so needs to be able to be outside regularly.

Our kids kind of fed/adopted a stray once. She was...promiscuous, so they named her Momma cat. She was the only cat we sort of ever had. This was the most badass cat ever. She chased DOGS out of our yard. Then one day she disappeared. The end.

I'm trying to talk my wife into a cat and out of a dog, way better for our current non-fenced yard, and busy schedules with the baby and a toddler.

What breed is cuddly but still useful? I need to be able to put it outside, but I'm often allergic to litter boxes or whatever, so needs to be able to be outside regularly.

Check out the Ragdolls: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragdoll

Cheers,
C.

What breed of cat is useful? Seriously? Justin... no breed of cat is actually useful...

There's a very good reason for this underlying opinion, even if often stated in jest! While dogs were domesticated by mankind from when back when certain wolves in the wild were showing proclivities for domestication, the modern cat is basically a self-deomesticted animal whose lineage goes back to lynxes. From the time when man started to farm and then store in barns, lynxes used to come hang around those barns for hunting varmints such as rats / mice. Most modern cats serve no such purpose as there're solely acquired for petting!

In my experience it is pretty much totally random. I have had four cats.
One was a big orange tom when I was little who was a fantastic hunter, but he didn't eat a lot of his kills (he wasn't so much cuddly as he was a predator who also ate food from a bowl we filled once a day).
One was a big-headed cobby tom who was absolutely useless for pretty much anything that wasn't fighting with other cats or tangling with raccoons (like, he repeatedly attacked racoons. Which was stupid. Because he was a cat. So he always lost. We finally had him fixed after he managed to survive having more that 20% of his skin ripped off in a raccoon fight.).
One was a doofy female cat that I named after Blanche DuBois because she was so weird and trusting (she ended up trusting an unfriendly pair of dogs that played tug-o-war with her body).

And then there is Mr. Onion, the big one in the pictures. He was my first cat as an adult, and he outlasted the cobby tom and the doofy female. He is a really great cat. I didn't want a cat when I ended up with him. I was mildly allergic (but I have gotten over it. I still react to some cats, but not most of the time). My sister in-law had come to stay with us, and she came with a tiny kitten. I didn't want it, but then it caught a mouse in the house when it was 8 weeks old and I decided I was keeping the cat. At 5 months he caught his first baby rabbit. He turned out to be an absolutely voracious hunter. And he is very affectionate, even good with the babies.

So my advice with cats is... I dunno, cross your fingers. Most of them are cuddly psychopaths at best. But sometimes you hit the jackpot.

You guys must know the difference between cats and dogs, right?

When you go home to a dog, you feed it, pet it, play with it and take it for a walk. The dog says, "Wow! They feed me, pet me, play with me and walk with me! They care for my every need! They must be a god!"

When you go home to a cat, you feed it, pet it, play with it and let it out for a walk. The cat on the other hand says, "Meh... they feed me, pet me, play with me and let me out for a walk! They attend to my every need! I must be a god!"

Cats.... not a fan.

...and then the difference between wives and dogs. When you lock your dog out, it stops barking when you let it inside. :eek::D

Mongols use to use cats (and birds) as weapons.

They'd set them aflame and turn them loose in the villages/encampments to create a flaming panic and also a distraction from the oncoming Mongol invasion.

They would also use Eagles to hunt wolves. Pure badass.

They'd set them aflame and turn them loose in the villages/encampments to create a flaming panic and also a distraction from the oncoming Mongol invasion.

well that really explains a lot about cats right there

Back