Random Thought Thread

Forecast high of 70 f here today......

large.jpg

large.jpg

The coastal forecast for San Diego County for tomorrow is an average of 92 degrees!!! Some coastal communities such as La Jolla and Del Mar may fair just a little bit better presumably because of their topography, but supposedly not by much! I'd be interested to know about Morro Bay para mañana.

The coastal forecast for San Diego County for tomorrow is an average of 92 degrees!!! Some coastal communities such as La Jolla and Del Mar may fair just a little bit better presumably because of their topography, but supposedly not by much! I'd be interested to know about Morro Bay para mañana.

Morro Bay is a true micro-climate. Typical forecasts place the highs between 80-90 for the next four days. But our local San Luis Obispo county forecaster usually gets it right - forecasting lower temps during warmer periods. Right now, close to noon, it's only 61 here. Tomorrow he is forecasting 75 and 80 for Saturday, declining after that.

If you check Morro Bay's average highs for any given month, as I recall none exceed 70.

Wow, Chip man that's really messed up!

A very dangerous and really pernicious wild fire inferno in the vicinity of an otherwise beautiful and scenic location :mad:
On the bright side, the fire went from <10% contained to 25% contained when it hit the waterline...lol.

~Chip

I don't know why, but today I was thinking about the CNC mills in Nate's shop and I remembered the CNC mill that I ran for about 18 years. I worked for a gun shop that specialized in tactical shotguns. Porting the barrels by hand was a PITA, so we bought a 1980 something Taiwanese vertical CNC mill. It had a 1980s index head that was air driven. It only turned in one direction, but it did the job while it worked. The whole thing was controlled by a 286 computer. When the 286 died we were able to get it working with an old 486. The indexer had a little circuit board that controlled the two air valves. When it died, we were dead in the water. The technology was so old that we couldn't get it fixed. (Kind of like finding a mechanic who can work on carburetors.)

I retired a few years ago. The last time I went to the shop it was gone. It could have been used as a manual vertical mill, but we already had a Bridgeport, so the boss sold it.

^^ is the irony for sale?

Let's move this here, it's exactly the reason I quoted Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist in the sale thread.

@trevitrace Absolutely zero irony, I was being serious. I get notifications for that thread and, as I was explaining by PM to another member, I 'jump' to see what's for sale/trade.
What part of what Nathan wrote in the first post in that sale thread is unclear to you?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I agree that chit-chatting in the WTS / B / T thread can become annoying as many of us are subscribed to that thread for the obvious reason ;)

Another "potentially" egregious violation of the Exchange rules are the folks who list both in the said thread AND also in the main Fixed Blade section without waiting the full 14 days. When I had a FS thread a few weeks back, just to be sure that I was not going to be in violation of the Exchange rules, I contacted Supermod Frank and although he was not 100% definitive on the ruling as he asked me to contact a couple of other more senior Supermods (IIRC one being Rycen) perhaps better versed in the matter (I even think that listing in the Main and then listing a thread in here about it BY THE SELLER can become iffy, but if a 3rd party just posts a heads up alert, that ought to be quite kosher!) I decided to not pursue because logically the WTBST thread here is a subset of the Exchanges and the rules on duplicate threads and also the 14 days re-listing rules are very clear.

Personally, it doesn't bother me because I understand that well meaning sellers wish to offer first to the friendlier confines of the subforum before they move over to the Main where there are more folks looking but at the same time let's not mess up a good thing which we have going on. If you are not in a rush and are willing to post in here and stick with it, your item will sell but it can take a bit longer at times. Just my 2 cents...

large.jpg

You must've jinxed yourself by mentioning something to the effect that visitors to Morro Bay ought to leave like good tourists or something like that, because last night on the episode of the highly acclaimed Affair on SHO, there it was: Morro Bay :D

I'm not going top nerd out and get into the synopsis of it all, but I found that as a very funny related story to your post from this past week!

Back