Random Thought Thread

^ yup, must be losing that Midas touch :rolleyes:

I was planning on going for an ebonite one for my 3rd HDFK but through the back channels and some wheeling & dealings with our old friends, some CPKs from private collections are inbound to me, one of which is an HDFK in PSF27 and antique handle scales. Will be posting some pics after I get everything. Some interesting stuff in their mix.

I wonder if that is my old HDFK. I believe it was the only PSF27 with antique handles. Though, I suppose someone could have swapped some onto another one.

I wonder if that is my old HDFK. I believe it was the only PSF27 with antique handles. Though, I suppose someone could have swapped some onto another one.

If you had sold it to Ivan, but I doubt it. I don't think that was a swap out because it came like that from Nathan's workshop although not thru the usual channels.

I’m just holding out with the HDFK sale lol. Do I need another well no, would I like another in burlap micarta ?????? There is the problem lol, of course !!!!!!
I want another in burlap !!!!!! the dang knife is just to nice :)

The antiques are definitely getting harder to come by. Nathan is stating to contact Jo to find out about both availability and co$t when ordered with the HDFK blade.

QiZszaY.jpg

Yup, even you managed to sneak in ;)

Alas, no UF sale thread will be like this one , i.e, nice, slow and leisurely! Heck, I'd also wish for a nice, slow, leisurely and prolific future for Nathan & Family if I could magically string these all together.

I know some will hate me for saying this (and I apologize in advance), but it would be kind of nice if Nathan Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist just waited to sell the rest of the UF until they were all ready to ship, then did a sale similar to this weekend's HDFK sale, and limited them to 1 per person.

It would certainly help most of us who want one, to get one.

^ no arguments or any hateful thoughts from me :)

One thing though about the legend of NtM:

He has always sold a limited number of knives (quantitatively speaking) on certain pre-announced Fridays on Blade Forums. That's his modus operandi and that's what he likes to do, a feat which I doubt will be changing any time soon. Back in the days when this subform was just an infant and there were maybe a dozen or so of original knuckleheads bantering on here, he had said something to the effect that he likes to make knives during the week to be able to offer them for sale on every other Friday or so, have Jo follow up with orders, collect the moola and admin the delivery. A sorta much simpler life back then so it seemed.

Then things grew out with a big bang! Note one of his most recent postings, he has expanded the operation both by manpower and machinery, yet he has much less time for himself and his family. I don't think that we can blame the man if he just wishes to keep things simple at times, even though that may come at the expense of some of us missing out but that said, I'm sure that the mere thought of some missing out gnaws at him so he just keeps grinding it out. I'm hoping that he doesn't burn himself out.

^ no arguments or any hateful thoughts from me :)

One thing though about the legend of NtM:

He has always sold a limited number of knives (quantitatively speaking) on certain pre-announced Fridays on Blade Forums. That's his modus operandi and that's what he likes to do, a feat which I doubt will be changing any time soon. Back in the days when this subform was just an infant and there were maybe a dozen or so of original knuckleheads bantering on here, he had said something to the effect that he likes to make knives during the week to be able to offer them for sale on every other Friday or so, have Jo follow up with orders, collect the moola and admin the delivery. A sorta much simpler life back then so it seemed.

Then things grew out with a big bang! Note one of his most recent postings, he has expanded the operation both by manpower and machinery, yet he has much less time for himself and his family. I don't think that we can blame the man if he just wishes to keep things simple at times, even though that may come at the expense of some of us missing out but that said, I'm sure that the mere thought of some missing out gnaws at him so he just keeps grinding it out. I'm hoping that he doesn't burn himself out.

I am aware of the way things have been around here from the start. I've been quietly watching all along. ;) Delta 3V is where I really started listening. :) Other makers have used similar small-batch offering sales models in the past. Things change though, especially as the business gets bigger and output increases, like they clearly have been. In some ways, I think the sales model like this weekend's slow HDFK sale make more sense, and may well actually be simpler and less stressful for everyone. Maybe not as "fun" though...

I am aware of the way things have been around here from the start. I've been quietly watching all along. ;) Delta 3V is where I really started listening. :) Other makers have used similar small-batch offering sales models in the past. Things change though, especially as the business gets bigger and output increases, like they clearly have been. In some ways, I think the sales model like this weekend's slow HDFK sale make more sense, and may well actually be simpler and less stressful for everyone. Maybe not as "fun" though...
This week's sale is only slow and casual because there are literally several hundred HDFKs out there already. That is the reason there is no rush and it can be kept open all weekend in advance. The same would not work for a UF sale, even if Nathan had 100 on the shelf ready to go. They would be sold in less than a minute in all likelihood. If he opened a sale thread for them and kept it open all weekend, it would be on page ten after the first hour. My guess it would end up somewhere neighborhood of 500 or more before it closed on Sunday evening, making it just another pre-order, as I don't ever see Nathan's model changing to have 500 of any model just sitting on a shelf unclaimed, nor should it.

Back