Random Thought Thread

I also use an online atomic clock for your sales.
I wear a Casio Rangeman that auto syncs every night. Checking against www.time.gov, it's been perfectly in sync every time (not even a noticeable fraction off).

Over the past few months (since bombing out on all my roadside attempts at the 3pm EST sales), I've been searching for internet hotspots around my AO.

Found one where I usually am around 5pm EST. I partially attribute my decent placings in the 5pm preorders to the connection from this location, and obviously, the less frantic/hectic rush in the preorders (although some of the preorders still show dozens of posts within the first minute).

Still knew my chances weren't good with 3pm sales of 5 - 10 pieces.

With the announcement of a sale with a batch of 40, I made some changes today specifically to place me at my hotspot just before 3pm (instead of the usual ~5pm). Casio Rangeman was checked against time.gov and was spot on this morning.

Ran a last minute Speedtest to verify ping, upload and download speeds and all were good. Attempting to load any page on BF was where I realized all the careful preparations might be for naught. Lol.

Oh well, better luck next time, and congrats to everyone who managed to snag one!

20190208_174112.jpg

I've been loading the threads off my wrist watch, which I check against the national time standard before the sale. It varies some, it's currently about half a second slow. This watch has been keeping better time than I had hoped for, I just reset it when the date needs adjusted and it usually stays pretty freaking close.

All these fine nuances and details make small differences but the biggest factor is how long it takes for your ISP to ping the BFC servers and then get a response. I bet that some of the winners don't even have as faster Internet as some others, yet they consistently win. We had already discussed this topic before when BFC was using the older system.

These Friday sales give me an excuse to enjoy my watches and set them to the right time. It’s definitely become a part of the ritual for me to watch the second hand count down to 3pm. Just one facet of the complex appeal of these sales. The knives aren’t bad either.

I think you’re missing the key change: the handle shape has changed. This handle is more like a miniature HDFK, where the original had scales that were flatter/thinner. I think they circumference is similar, but more rounded now.

OK, I see that, but IMHO, it's not a biggie except for anal fussbudgets. :D (No insult intended to anal fussbudgets .)

o3CD1eo.jpg
11-jpg-original.jpg

Last edited:
In my humble opinion, it'll be fair if Nathan could kindly instruct and request that those who have already scored one or once wait their turn again until a few of these 40 x offerings serve the others who did not score. This will also eliminate the horrendous upload and lag times which we witnessed and experienced today.

At the end of the day and in a few months to 6 month's time, everyone will have a chance to own a couple of these so let's not bicker over something frivolous and be respectful toward everyone's turn. Sayz me!

I like the above recommendation, and I'll pledge not to be buying any more for a good long while. But I'd rather that NtM doesn't have to lay out any more rules or requests.

I like the above recommendation, and I'll pledge not to be buying any more for a good long while. But I'd rather that NtM doesn't have to lay out any more rules or requests.

Tony, I don't like too many rules either plus by and large we already know that Nathan is a pretty chill type of person who doesn't get phased out much by the type of banter, tomfoolery and the good natured shenanigans which go on at times.

That said, too much frustration = too much negativity = bad for business.

I don't ask for proxies, although I could easily do that and I feel that I have earned enough "social credit" on here to have a few allies. The reason I don't ask for proxies is because I'm almost always around and enjoy the heat of the battle. I certainly understand that some good folks are never around to suit the CPK FS model but lately, I have noticed that some who can easily do it on their own are taking advantage of other people who are faster than them. I think that those who consistently show up and play the game by the rules ought to get preferential spots.

We have already turned sour on proxy double-dippers. Maybe it's time for some to refuse proxying just to make sure that those who show up have a better fighting chance. I will follow my own preaching on the next UFK sales if & when I score one till everyone who wants one, somehow gets one but I won't be proxying. Just saying!

A lot of people don't wear watches anymore. They have a smart phone surgically attached to their hand. :rolleyes:

I am half joking, but I have seen a lot of people who will not let go of their phone during waking hours. I sometimes wonder if they have it clutched in their hand when the go to sleep.

Reading some old posts I realized we haven’t heard from @grogimus in quite a while. Does anyone stay in touch with him (Matt?)? Just thinking someone might reach out and make sure he’s doing ok.

I heard from Dan Sunday almost 2 weeks ag (from tomorrow). Since then, he hasn’t responded to some interim messages. That’s all that I have for now. Gypsy was having some issues but when we texted last, she had bounced back.

Back