Random Thought Thread

Can confirm. About ten years ago I was jumping as high as I could on a trampoline and jumped right off it, and I was heading for the rocky ground from like 30+ feet up, head first, very certain I was about to die. But my dusty old high school judo club training and my body/instincts took over and turned the fall into a roll, and I wound up on my feet, bewildered and unharmed. I've considered that one of the great miracles of my life.
:thumbsup: Nice save.

It definitely makes a difference. I've seen more than a few friends with breakfall training (male and female) with some good (and some impressively acrobatic and even flamboyant) saves due to trained instincts for falls in everything from missteps into ditches to mountain bike crashes (going right over the handlebars and instead of doing a scorpion on their face, tucking into a smooth roll on one shoulder right back to their feet and continuing to run downhill due to the momentum. The rest of us gaped for a moment, then bust out laughing).

Before the border closed people were shipping to me in the US, I was crossing them into Canada myself then shipping them domestically. I’ve done a lot that way, in particular more expensive ones you don’t want customs to handle. I’ve had a couple shipped to me directly but it’s hit or miss with customs and the prices are atrocious right now. The last one direct from Jo was a FK2 small box and it cost me I think about $75 all said and done.
What is the $75 charge for?

I was hunting with a buddy in 2005 and we had borrowed his dad's english setter for the day. She needed a bit of field to calm down, so before we got into the good ground (peach orchard with quail galore) we elected to run her down the railroad tracks about a quarter mile, then hunt the bluffs above the tracks for pheasant on the way back. This was in the Snake River above Penawawa, WA, so the bluffs run right down to the river bank. The railroad grade is cut into the hillside along the river, and this leaves a series of cuts that end in a cliff above the railroad bed, ranging from 40 to about 100 ft high.

I elected to stay on the grade, and my buddy and dog cut up above to work the fields. I was suppose to catch any that ran down the gulleys to the river.

Instead the dog was casting out and running about 30 mph directly at a cliff. She ran right off that cliff, full speed, and went like a lawn dart about 80 feet (yes, I said 80). It was sickening to watch. It was long enough that I sincerely though, "I am going to watch this dog die!" it was a conscious thought.

She hit the stone grade and bounced, I kid you not, a full 8 feet in the air.

Tore her lip open, and se was bleeding like a faucet was turned on.

We got her back to the truck and we were both completely covered in her blood. I managed to first aid her to a point where the bleeding stopped. We got her back to town and I'll be damned if she didn't drop down from the truck and start hunting the shrubs around our parking spot where we met her dad. I though she was dead, for sure. She was a little sore and stiff the next day and hunted 3 days later.

I've seen some dogs take some serious hurt and never even flinch. Amazing what they get like when they are in the field.

What is the $75 charge for?

UPS charged me I think $45ish for shipping, $23 or so for brokerage fee and I want to say $8 in tax based on Jo’s gracious valuation.

That’s to 4 miles north of my other place that being on the south side of the border is $9.99 or so. Hence never shipping direct before this stupid border closure.

I don’t want to get into the Eberlestock pack that cost $389 to buy and $250 in total to ship.

I was hunting with a buddy in 2005 and we had borrowed his dad's english setter for the day. She needed a bit of field to calm down, so before we got into the good ground (peach orchard with quail galore) we elected to run her down the railroad tracks about a quarter mile, then hunt the bluffs above the tracks for pheasant on the way back. This was in the Snake River above Penawawa, WA, so the bluffs run right down to the river bank. The railroad grade is cut into the hillside along the river, and this leaves a series of cuts that end in a cliff above the railroad bed, ranging from 40 to about 100 ft high.

I elected to stay on the grade, and my buddy and dog cut up above to work the fields. I was suppose to catch any that ran down the gulleys to the river.

Instead the dog was casting out and running about 30 mph directly at a cliff. She ran right off that cliff, full speed, and went like a lawn dart about 80 feet (yes, I said 80). It was sickening to watch. It was long enough that I sincerely though, "I am going to watch this dog die!" it was a conscious thought.

She hit the stone grade and bounced, I kid you not, a full 8 feet in the air.

Tore her lip open, and se was bleeding like a faucet was turned on.

We got her back to the truck and we were both completely covered in her blood. I managed to first aid her to a point where the bleeding stopped. We got her back to town and I'll be damned if she didn't drop down from the truck and start hunting the shrubs around our parking spot where we met her dad. I though she was dead, for sure. She was a little sore and stiff the next day and hunted 3 days later.

I've seen some dogs take some serious hurt and never even flinch. Amazing what they get like when they are in the field.
You sir have a gifted command of the English language.

wrt shipping, I prefer USPS. Couriers like UPS charge a brokerage fee which is usually 50 bucks because they clear it and deliver it as opposed to USPS which hands it over to Canada Post. They charge a delivery fee from the border, which is usually ten bucks, plus applicable taxes based on the declared value. It pays to inform yourself as to how to categorize the item you're shipping, since everything at the border has tightened up since the US gov decided to...ah, nevermind :)

not sure if I broke my finger or not, it's still full of blood and swelled up so it's hard to tell. Glad I prepped the CPKhkuk template drawing last night, cuz there won't be much drawing going on for at least a couple days

not sure if I broke my finger or not, it's still full of blood and swelled up so it's hard to tell. Glad I prepped the CPKhkuk template drawing last night, cuz there won't be much drawing going on for at least a couple days
Damn...dominant hand? Gonna be a lot of awkward things over the next few days:eek:

Back