Random Thought Thread

I had a Para 3 once but ultimately got rid of it, it was just to wide for such a small knife. Just my opinion of course. If you want a smaller lightweight knife that competes I really cant recommend anything other then a Benchmade Bugout. It’s a really great knife and punches above its weight in my opinion. I put titanium scales on mine, but I never thought the blue grivory scales felt cheap or weak or anything. A really great lightweight knife.
The Bugout would also be my recommendation. It’s a fantastic blade, and truly disappears in pocket, but it looks like XtianAus XtianAus wants to try something different.

Anyone have/have had a Spyderco para 3 and what do you think?
I am not really a folder guy, I literally only own 2 decent ones. But lately found wanting and thinking of picking up a para 3 lw while waiting for CPKs next model/s

Any other recommendations?
I trust you CPK folk.
I'd want to spend under $150 and save the bug bucks for CPK fixed
cold steel works. american lawman all day

So this is a random thought thread?

How about you tell us about the strangest, most unexplainable thing that's ever happened to you...

somewhat recent….I was hiking last spring with my fiancé and our dog, mostly looking for antlers around a drainage that has real steep bank cut into the hill in one area. We dropped down off the hillside and were crossing the stream so we could be on the opposite side of the steep bank and check it out (it’s 35-40 feet high). Just as we were crossing, the dog went nuts, barking as if the mailman was delivering a package to the house. Ready to kill. The initial barks scared the shit out of us since we weren't expecting it, there was absolutely nothing there. With the snow you could see 100 yards easy and as we kept going we never crossed any animal tracks either.

This particular ridge has been good for deer hunting so I figured this area was a great terrain funnel to check out again. I wanted to walk the very edge of the steep bank this time and follow the spine it connects to up the hill where there’s a congregation of large rocks that I know deer get into.

This spring I did exactly that and the dog was with me again. I’m walking the very edge looking down at the stream, looking up into the rock area with binos, just trying to look for deer sign when there was a bang so loud that it blew my eardrums out and I actually felt it in my chest. Anyone who’s heard a dumptruck drop its load and then pull forward to allow the tailgate to slam the box clean….thats as close as I can describe it.

It was so loud and powerful that the dog laid on the ground and was afraid to even pick a direction to go. I looked over the edge thinking a huge rock crashed down into the stream but there was nothing, all quiet again. Now, we aren’t next to a road, this is a massive chunk of state land and I’m more than a mile from the truck so there’s no damn way any dumptruck was operating anywhere near me. I was really freaked out knowing how close I am to where the dog freaked out last time, I’m just up top. When I told a good hunting buddy about it, he knew the exact spot and said he always gets a weird feeling when he walks near there and commented on the lack of wildlife. It didn’t occur to me but thinking back, he’s right, you barely hear or see any birds in that drainage, it’s damn freaky. Not sure I’ll be going through there while hunting but I probably will, and stay away from the edge of course.

Jake, forgive the ignorance since I don't know where you're located...but any chance anyone is growing something they shouldn't on the land, (or has a clandestine operation), and has it booby trapped? (These are some of the sorts of things we would encounter or be on the look out for depending on the investigation.)

I'm surrounded by national and state forest and always keep the thought in the back of my mind when out and about...

somewhat recent….I was hiking last spring with my fiancé and our dog, mostly looking for antlers around a drainage that has real steep bank cut into the hill in one area. We dropped down off the hillside and were crossing the stream so we could be on the opposite side of the steep bank and check it out (it’s 35-40 feet high). Just as we were crossing, the dog went nuts, barking as if the mailman was delivering a package to the house. Ready to kill. The initial barks scared the shit out of us since we weren't expecting it, there was absolutely nothing there. With the snow you could see 100 yards easy and as we kept going we never crossed any animal tracks either.

This particular ridge has been good for deer hunting so I figured this area was a great terrain funnel to check out again. I wanted to walk the very edge of the steep bank this time and follow the spine it connects to up the hill where there’s a congregation of large rocks that I know deer get into.

This spring I did exactly that and the dog was with me again. I’m walking the very edge looking down at the stream, looking up into the rock area with binos, just trying to look for deer sign when there was a bang so loud that it blew my eardrums out and I actually felt it in my chest. Anyone who’s heard a dumptruck drop its load and then pull forward to allow the tailgate to slam the box clean….thats as close as I can describe it.

It was so loud and powerful that the dog laid on the ground and was afraid to even pick a direction to go. I looked over the edge thinking a huge rock crashed down into the stream but there was nothing, all quiet again. Now, we aren’t next to a road, this is a massive chunk of state land and I’m more than a mile from the truck so there’s no damn way any dumptruck was operating anywhere near me. I was really freaked out knowing how close I am to where the dog freaked out last time, I’m just up top. When I told a good hunting buddy about it, he knew the exact spot and said he always gets a weird feeling when he walks near there and commented on the lack of wildlife. It didn’t occur to me but thinking back, he’s right, you barely hear or see any birds in that drainage, it’s damn freaky. Not sure I’ll be going through there while hunting but I probably will, and stay away from the edge of course.
Blues Blues , I know nothing about nothing and honest question here- do people grow stuff where it can snow seasonally?
PS: I don't care if it's real or not but listening to Bob Gymlan on YouTube is one of my guilty pleasures

I had a Para 3 once but ultimately got rid of it, it was just to wide for such a small knife. Just my opinion of course. If you want a smaller lightweight knife that competes I really cant recommend anything other then a Benchmade Bugout. It’s a really great knife and punches above its weight in my opinion. I put titanium scales on mine, but I never thought the blue grivory scales felt cheap or weak or anything. A really great lightweight knife.
Agree on the Para 3. But IMO the Para 2 is perfect. Keep one in the vehicle at all times, and carry another in my rotation. Just terrific knives for me and my tastes and needs.

Blues Blues , I know nothing about nothing and honest question here- do people grow stuff where it can snow seasonally?
PS: I don't care if it's real or not but listening to Bob Gymlan on YouTube is one of my guilty pleasures
There's all sorts of growing and other operations...not limited to only tropical and sub-tropical climes. (Plus there are also shacks, huts, and hideouts in natural formations.)

I didn't think anything was growing during the snowy season, per se, but oftentimes areas are guarded, booby trapped and left in that condition regardless of calendar date.

Not saying it applies here, but it's a thing in our national forests and in BLM areas. Not just in FL, Hawaii and CA.

V vkp78

An example of a non-drug related event in UT:

In CO where someone may have targeted dirt bikes:

Booby trapped marijuana patch in Missouri:

You get the idea. Whether it's drugs, hooch, or just malevolent and evil minds looking to get off on causing mayhem and tragedy...stuff happens, and sometimes it happens in places we go for recreation and solace.

These folks aren't concerned with removing their booby traps at the end of a particular season.

How about you tell us about the strangest, most unexplainable thing that's ever happened to you...
I have one. It’s a simple story. In my teens and through college, I was a fencer. I was really into it at the time. #8 in the US for men’s Under-20 epee. One time in college, I was at practice and I was sparring. A very ordinary day. My teammate bounced forward, tapped my guard, and feinted 6 (outside). My arm countered him in the wrist. An ordinary point. Here’s the thing: I didn’t intend to do it. My arm moved and my “me” voice in my head went “woah, what?” It felt exactly like the tip pulled my arm, and my arm pulled the rest of me. So simple, but it never happened again.

A few years later in a different college I read a book about Japanese archery where the master upbraids the student to wait for the arrow to release itself. The master was not being metaphorical.

Last edited:

I've got a few, but a couple quick ones...

When I was in the 4th grade, I didn't know that my maternal grandfather, who I was very close to, was ill and dying from leukemia. Never even knew he had gone into a hospital down the block from his apartment in the Bronx. One day, getting ready to leave for school, the phone rang, I looked at my mother before she picked up the phone and said "grandpa's dead". It was my grandmother calling from the hospital to tell us.

When I was a senior in high school, I was walking home with a buddy of mine and passing the junior high my sister had just started at. I looked at the building as if I could see the classrooms within, (this was a big school), turned to my friend and said, "My sister's not in there, something's wrong". My buddy asked me how I knew, and I just said "I know, I can feel that she's not in there".

Ran home about a mile, up the stairs to our apartment and yelled to my mother..."Where's Linda?" My mother said how did you know? Know what, I asked. She had been hit by a car on the way to school that morning, but only knocked back to the curb and bruised up...not needing hospitalization.

Nobody at my high school knew my sister, or told me anything about the event.

Don't know how. Don't know why. But that's what happened.

I've got others, but for another time...

It's a big strange world we live in. We've only scratched the surface.

when we first moved to this little town, we rented this tiny old house beside a tire shop. The landlord did a reasonably decent job getting it livable which was all the more impressive once I was told the history of the place. The dude that lived there, presumably before he went to jail, was a MAJOR coke and arms dealer. I suppose the proximity to a part of the US that's not particularly highly monitored, and this place being the boondocks meant a lot of illegal shit ended up moving through this house. Anyway, the story goes that this guy hid the guns in a bunch of beehives that he had in the yard, and he had these 'crazy parties' in the basement of the house. This is like a 50's era house, so pretty creepy anyway, but once I heard the immediate history and started paying attention, I noticed a lot of writing on the old fir timbers holding up the main floor in the basement. There was stuff written there that makes me a little queasy even thinking about now. I remember watching Candyman one night, and couldn't sleep for days, lol. So glad we found our way the hell out of that hellhouse...it was actually referred to by the locals as The Hellhouse. Some places will always just feel wrong and it doesn't matter how new the carpeting is or how many coats of paint.

Blues Blues , I’m in Olean, NY. I’ve been scouting and hunting the general area of my story pretty hard the last few years and I’ve been coming into it from all directions to really get the lay of the land, never seeing anything out of the ordinary and only having weird things happen at this one spot apparently! Most times walking around there outside of the hunting season dates, I’ll be making the only boot tracks that can be found.

This area had a strong Native American population and still does nearby, so I’m just attributing it to that and figuring that the steep cliff bank wasn’t too kind of a spot for some people. After coming off the top that day, I thought about circling around and following the stream back down through the lower section just to see what the dog would do but I was too weirded out and my ears still hurt.

V vkp78

An example of a non-drug related event in UT:

In CO where someone may have targeted dirt bikes:

Booby trapped marijuana patch in Missouri:

You get the idea. Whether it's drugs, hooch, or just malevolent and evil minds looking to get off on causing mayhem and tragedy...stuff happens, and sometimes it happens in places we go for recreation and solace.

These folks aren't concerned with removing their booby traps at the end of a particular season.
Thank you, that was very enlightening!

Back