Random Thought Thread

That's awesome, thank you. I used to work in a mill quite a few years ago. Turning bar stock into pipe fitting, primarily out of 316, 304, or brass
Way out of the loop, but the guy in the tool crib at the time did not like seeing roasted carbide coming back in
(Read as: I certainly have no idea what I am talking about and was just making an observation);)

Last edited:
Things that make you go hmmm oof!!!

Caber_toss.jpg

"I wonder if Carothers would consider 'Performance Cabers'..."

You don't run coolant when milling steel with modern carbide unless you can't hit the SFM needed to prevent BUE, or when you need to flush chips. Otherwise, steel is done dry when possible, the carbide holds up better and you can run it faster. No, to me the truly painful part about that video was the painful lack of positive geometry inserts in those shell mills. Your cuts should be pretty quiet, it should not sound like dubstep. I'm guessing that particular setup could never be particularly rigid and negative inserts hold up better, but that didn't sound "good".

That said... That is the most insane "billet" part I've ever seen. Turning that taper with a boring head was pretty cool.

Cycle time on a part like that would be many hours and possibly days. That part is probably worth $30,000 and the machine is millions, so it probably doesn't run unattended, someone would want to keep an eye on that. Which would be a long, tedious and terrifying day.

Really cool "tool changer".

Actual proper gear hobbing. :thumbsup:

There are a lot of complicated features on that part that would have tight tolerances. Can you imagine after all of that, one of your bores was out? Or those splines were a little off? holy shit. Nope.
I work with a guy who ran parts like that. he said if a bore was out or something they never scrapped parts.

off to the welder to fill the bore and recut it. this is fir holes that were pretty small though apparently.

I dont know how accurate that is for this part in particular. it makes sense to want to not toss 30 grand though.

Yesterday I found out we’re having a baby girl. 🤗 Very excited!
Congrats!

Having a daughter myself, my advice is that you work out a deal with her mother to split parenting duties. She gets primary parent responsibility up to age 3. Then you take over from 3-12. Then it's back to mom for 12-18. Nine years each - what could be more fair? :thumbsup:

Back