Random Thought Thread

I love Fanuc. I hate Fanuc. Timmy gets me.
I do. it's a sweet sweet kiss or a punch in the mouth.

it's been almost a year since I rat the STAR machines at my last shop.

Those controls forced me to use code to make the machine do what I wanted. So instead of just pressing a button to go ".05 above the stock with the selected tool" I had to type in "G0 TO1 X.05;"

It's a gift and a curse. it forces you to remember code but the room for error is also very much less than the CITIZEN machines I'm running now

Last edited:
I do. it's a sweet sweet kiss or a punch in the mouth.

it's been almost a year since I rat the STAR machines at my last shop.

Those controls forced me to use code to make the machine do what I wanted. So instead of just pressing a button to go ".05 above the stock with the selected tool" I had to type in "G0 TO1 X.05;"

It's a gift and a curse. it forces you to remember code but the room for error is also very much less than the CITIZEN machines I'm running now

Oh shit you're a lathe guy! That explains so much!

Oh shit you're a lathe guy! That explains so much!
At Dunwoody College of Technology all the stuff we did was on HAAS mills. In Minnesota that's not where the demand is so I was gobbled up by the medical parts swiss machining monster that lives here.

but yeah. my z is your x

deal with it. 🤡🤡🤡

Last edited:
This is more miscellaneous than random, but I couldn’t find an appropriate thread and didn’t want to start one.

My wife and I just did a little multi day backpack trip on the AT. We didn’t do much backpacking this past year (and a half) and we felt it.
Anyhow, we were down in the TN and NC area. It was humid. Even up in the hills. And we got drenched the first day out. Even with pack covers everything was, at minimum, damp.

I carried my EDC2 on me and had the FK2 in my pack. Both are in mashed cat sheaths. Ulticlip on both. Nothing was dry for three days straight.

I’ve seen threads on BF where 3V knives, by other makers, under similar conditions have picked up some surface rust. Normally I have a rag soaked in mineral oil in a ziplock in my pack but forgot it this time. I was a little worried (woke up in the middle of the night to check on them).
Both ulticlips picked up a little surface rust. But the D3V remains spotless.
5237C3C1-BAD0-4BB4-A4B7-09EBFA456EDB.jpeg

15EA5A67-9B34-4C58-BB30-9DCDF52D2FDA.jpegB6B21464-8E72-4A98-8061-5E525A24FEAB.jpeg

Last edited:
This is more miscellaneous than random, but I couldn’t find an appropriate thread and didn’t want to start one.

My wife and I just did a little multi day backpack trip on the AT. We didn’t do much backpacking this past year (and a half) and we felt it.
Anyhow, we were down in the TN and NC area. It was humid. Even up in the hills. And we got drenched the first day out. Even with pack covers everything was, at minimum, damp.

I carried my EDC2 on me and had the FK2 in my pack. Both are in their stock mashed cat sheaths. Ulticlip on both. Nothing was dry for three days straight.

I’ve seen threads on BF where 3V knives, by other makers, under similar conditions have picked up some surface rust. Normally I have a rag soaked in mineral oil in a ziplock in my pack but forgot it this time. I was a little worried (woke up in the middle of the night to check on them).
Both ulticlips picked up a little surface rust. But the D3V remains spotless.
View attachment 1647852

View attachment 1647854View attachment 1647856
I can second that. I have an EDC1 and a DEK1 that have seen the most use, one or the other, almost daily carry for the past several years with regard to the EDC1. I have soaked through leather sheaths with sweat made by Lorien, Duramax/Bill and Paul Long made from outstanding materials. Both in the pocket and on the belt. I have pocket carried kydex with an Ulticlip same as yours, that is now rusty as hell.. More times than I can remember I have drawn a knife completely covered in droplets of condensation from that sweat and general humidity. I have even had a few decent amounts of time around salt water environments with no special thought put towards the steel prior to or after the fact.

I have exposed them to all kinds of sap and fluids from just about any vegetation that grows in eastern hardwoods. They have also been used to scrap off and been dipped into any kind of grease and fluid found on various pieces of heavy equipment, including knocking corrosion off a battery terminal from time to time. In all cases, I generally just wipe whatever the gunk may be off on my pants leg, rubber track or near by leaf and jam it back in my soggy leather sheath. After all that, at lunch I'll pull it back out and cut up an apple, citrus or whatever stuff I have in my lunch that needs cutting. Again, I'll wipe it on my pants leg best I can and then put the sticky thing back in my sheath. Yes, I know I am a dirty fugger and am probably gonna expose myself to who knows what by cutting my food up with a knife I have exposed to who knows what without properly cleaning it, but, that's a different conversation, so stay on topic you turds!

In all that, and I'll be generous here, the knives will see soap and water once a month and a mineral oil rag if they are lucky. It wouldn't surprise me if I have gone three or four months between cleanings and oiling on several occasions. To date, I have never had any surface rust or discoloration/staining on either blade or tang. None, zero, zilch, nada. I have had knives in AEB-L, CTS-XHP and Vanax 37 all develop some surface rust, easily removed mind you, with much fewer exposers to the same treatment, but never with D3V. Thanks, Nathan.

I understand 3V with the standard heat treat is much more prone to rust and staining, but in my experience, D3V is an entirely different animal, and I have certainly exposed those two knives to plenty of neglect.

"Rust never sleeps..."

Nathan, you must contact the owner of UltiClip and make him an offer he can't refuse.

Henceforth, all UltiClips shall be made of D3V...or else.

hqdefault.jpg

Back