Random Thought Thread

Been past 165 on multiple occassions. Near Edwards AFB, long stretches of road. Skrapmetal Skrapmetal : Nice ride. Which coilovers? MM? Griggs? I went full MM back in the day. Diablo was just making its mark in the aftermarket chip segment then. Ride was putting down 515/458 at the wheels (11.5 A/F) before I went with a staged 100 shot.

Been past 165 on multiple occassions. Near Edwards AFB, long stretches of road. Skrapmetal Skrapmetal : Nice ride. Which coilovers? MM? Griggs? I went full MM back in the day. Diablo was just making its mark in the aftermarket chip segment then. Ride was putting down 515/458 at the wheels (11.5 A/F) before I went with a staged 100 shot.

I’m a 200+ kinda guy. This did 155 in the 1/4. 218WHP at 503lbs. My 2014 R1 was WAY more maneuverable and had just as much top end but the Panda was a totally different animal. 2013 ZX14R with the works. Stock unopened case it was doing well under 9 seconds in the 1320’. Air shifter, swing arm, gearing, blah blah blah. No nitrous, no turbo, straight up street killer.

E82ED2F0-185A-41A5-97AB-63372C270A6E.jpeg

Sundays and Mondays for OPW2 reveals, Tuesdays for OPW2 specs, Wednesdays for OPW2 buys and (every now and then) Fridays for CPK lotteries. What fun-filled weeks we are having these days...

imo, this one worked in reverse to that. Character development was very weak in the sequel, even though it's a hella long movie. Lots of pop, though, which is why it's worth seeing in the theatre. I have the original on dvd and I've watched it dozens of times, I'll often put it on and doodle and not even watch it- I can see it in my mind just hearing it. The score for the sequel has a lot more filler in it and doesn't carry the dramatic weight without becoming deafening at times. I really think they tried too hard to do too much

[sage nod] I wondered if it would quite hit the mark of the original, but still am compelled out of a sense of nostalgia. Part of me is glad to hear that character development stayed light, maybe in order to maintain homage to/not distract from the original chars, as opposed to transparently creating a sequel platform, trying to attach viewers to a "next generation". I am hoping it continues Deck's story and leaves the rest open to the mind.

I have a similar attachment to that film and similar works of the era. The original film version of Frank Herbert's Dune holds a similar place in my heart. also on a repeat play list. If you haven't seen it, highly recommend. Brazil, Road Warrior, etc. also along those lines, but not many come to the emotional cresciendo of BR and Dune, imho.

Thanks for the prompt, I don't see much in theaters anymore either, will get off my butt to see it while its still on a big screen. love this thread.

Now that whatever drama that was has been averted... This is what's on my mind right now;

View attachment 776898

Getting ready to put it away for the winter in a few weeks, it was a pretty constructive year for my main hobby/money sink. This year saw the clutch upgraded to twin disk ceramic, coilovers installed, and the tune finalized to get the most out of the headers we installed last year. Drove it on a 2200 mile round trip to Yellowstone and back and it didn't miss a beat. Got 21mpg on the interstate for the trip while making upwards of 500bhp, pretty surprised by that!

View media item 19552200+ miles to Acadia National Park and home.

Last edited:
Here is a poorly filmed video of my friend breaking a world record back in 2007 with his naturally aspirated two stroke snowmobile, 7.84 seconds @167.4 mph. Everybody has switched to four stroke turbos now, but this was a huge accomplishment at the time. It was a lot of fun watching the faces of the bike guys as we ate them up !! They would look and laugh to themselves on the line, then come back to the pits after to try and figure out what just happened to them.

Last edited:

AST 4150 coilovers with Hyperco springs. Vorshlag was selling them for a couple of years but stopped due to issues getting stock from the manufacturer... I got a great deal on a used set that had less than 400 miles.

I'm not sure what I'm making at the wheels right now, but I'm guessing 460ish. Made 423whp before headers/intake/tune.

Datalogging it on the highway (in Mexico due to traffic laws) was fun. I've never driven a V8 that I took over 7k rpm before this one and shifting at 8250rpm felt so weird the first few times... broke 100mph in third gear.

I’m a 200+ kinda guy. This did 155 in the 1/4. 218WHP at 503lbs. My 2014 R1 was WAY more maneuverable and had just as much top end but the Panda was a totally different animal. 2013 ZX14R with the works. Stock unopened case it was doing well under 9 seconds in the 1320’. Air shifter, swing arm, gearing, blah blah blah. No nitrous, no turbo, straight up street killer.

View attachment 777135

I'd be dead by now! I stay away from bikes

Awesome... how many people did you have with you?

I was tense enough on some of the roads in the mountains, that would have been terrifying

Me, the wife and our two boys. We are lucky to maintain 70 mph on slight inclines. Mountain roads are anxious for us due to the impatient people flipping us off as they pass us.

Ta2ude Ta2ude all last season I watched the guys on sleds run 8’s and 9’s. It was absolutely crazy the first time I saw it. They’re wicked for sure. But my argument to them was “yea you have a freakin GIANT slick and only one gear”. I was on a DOT approved street tire and had to let it run through gears.

Ta2ude Ta2ude : Wow. Did I just watch a drag snowmobile video? That was a first...
Me too! that's amazing! I see the guys do it on snow around Yellowstone, but never a track. We are going the week of Christmas up around Dillon, west of Yellowstone. The childrens first time snowmobiling. They are very excited. Got machines for all of them, and cant wait.

Me too! that's amazing! I see the guys do it on snow around Yellowstone, but never a track. We are going the week of Christmas up around Dillon, west of Yellowstone. The childrens first time snowmobiling. They are very excited. Got machines for all of them, and cant wait.

You and I have had to cross paths somewhere, at some point. I'd almost lay money on it. Run down some of those coyotes in that Dillon country while you're out there.

I've got an old '88 Skidoo elan that the kids grew up with. Its nickname is BamBam :D As my youngest is in college now I'm trying to decide whether to sell it or not. I'm hoping it's AWHILE before grandkids, ha.

Im looking at new backpacks for work/edc i think i have it narrowed down to 2 the mystery ranch 3dap or the triple aught design fast pack edc. Do any of you have experience with either of these packs or have other recommendations for me to check out

Im looking at new backpacks for work/edc i think i have it narrowed down to 2 the mystery ranch 3dap or the triple aught design fast pack edc. Do any of you have experience with either of these packs or have other recommendations for me to check out

I've been really happy with my Maxpedition bag. I've had it for about 3 years, not a pulled stitch or failure anywhere. Typically loaded with 15-30 pounds of crap on any given day.

View attachment 776840

~Chip

View attachment 777135

That's a sweet bike !! I rode ZX11D's for years, my last one had some mods to it. Those simple tweaks awoke a monster. I stopped riding after that one lol.
I can only imagine what a monster a ZX14 is !!!!!

My everyday fast cars are gone now. Currently restoring my two old birds. One is going back numbers matching original, the other well I'm still deciding lol.

Thats a nice set up you have there. I looked at that same bag a while back. Whats that hammer/ multi tool ya have on the side there
Thanks, the prybar/hammer is a Stiletto Titanium wrecking bar...I tried to find the part number but it looks like they don't make that model anymore :(.

Screenshot_20171009-085117.png

~Chip

Last edited:
Back