Recommend a nice, but ‘less scary’ edc knife for my collection

I would vote the Spidiechef and you've already got one. Then if you wanted something extra low impact some sort of traditional in a leather slip.

LOL! OP, you think the 0450 looks "too stabby"? Does that mean you don't want a pocket knife w/a point on it? :confused:

If you want a "non-threatening" pocket knife in a classic gentleman's style there are a lot to choose from. I own many but if you want to get something cheap, I just bought a Kershaw Crown 3160 for just $12.50 including shipping.

s-l1600.jpg

Nothing much less scary or threatening in the way of knife than this. It also meets all of your criteria; it's more refined than tactical looking; it doesn't have a flipper; it's slim in the pocket; it can be opened one-handed; it has a pocket clip; and the handle is contoured and ergonomic.

This is one of the cheapest knives in my collection of over 200 folders, autos and balis but it is far from the "worst" or least desirable. You could do a lot worst spending more on something else.

Last edited:
You have really nice knives - use them.

Spyderco dragonfly 2 !!!! Slim small but very usable blade - not scary

Been downsizing the collection a lot recently and trying to focus in on a set of nicer knives that I’ll actually carry instead of a million knives that I don’t use.

I have a small group of folders that I actually do carry regularly at this point, but the only problem is that most of them either have longer blades, or the blade shapes are a bit too ‘stabby’ (looking at you ZT 0450) for some environments.

Here is what I find myself actually carrying a lot...
View attachment 1061017
Large Inkosi - Usual carry
Benchmade Anthem - fidget toy
Spydiechef - Waterproof / foodprep
940-1 & Boos Smoke - Slim EDC if I need to carry IWB or have extra tight pockets. Will probably have to choose one of these to gravitate to more as they overlap
ZT 0450 - small light carry

So, given that selection, I feel that I am missing something that is more of a smaller gentleman’s type folder... or maybe not a gentleman’s folder exactly, but something with high quality materials, and one handed opening (so not a SAK / opinel)

Preferences:
1) More refined than tactical looking, so no G10, FRN, etc... titanium / wood / CF, something like that would be ideal
2) Not a big fan of flipper tabs sticking out.
3) slim in the pocket
4) One handed opening
5) Still needs a pocket clip
6) I really like more contoured handles and more ergonomic designs, as long as they stay slim in the pocket. The large inkosi fits me well.. on smaller knives I like the Caly 3 quite a bit too, but it is a big heavy and G10 ish. Am selling quite a few spydercos at the moment because while I like their ergos, most of the blades are all so tall that they take up a lot of pocket real estate.

A small sebenza maybe? what other ideas?

Have you considered a Mnandi instead of the small sebbie. Sebbie is also good but a wooden inlays availabe on the Mnandi make it more classy.

A cheaper option but awesome knife is the Kizer Feist.

Lots of good suggestions, everyone! I also had no idea you could open the mnandi one handed, I thought it was just another slip joint, now I’ll have to consider that again along with everything else listed here.

I do have a bugout and dragonfly already as well, and I do carry them sometimes to be a bit more discrete, or where laws limit length, but I was just kind of looking for something a bit fancier is all. Both great knives that aren’t going anywhere.

Mcusta and the various fancy small sebenzas are also very tempting.

Way to enhance my indecisiveness, everyone!

Also, to clarify, ‘stabby’ to me just referred to the entire aesthetic of the knife, not just the blade shape..I do need the knife to still function as a knife so I’m not looking for safety scissors :)

My point on the 0450 was just that if you scale it up to the same size as the lg inkosi, it would just look much more tactical / intense to my eye at least. I’m just looking for something more chill than that is all.

Thanks again, all!

That would be the shizz! I like the anthem best in that lineup, never held one yet.
Very fun knife to play with. The bearings plus the axis lock make it super fun to flip open and closed with 0 effort. My only complaints with it are the cost, blade tip was a bit too fine (broke, had to reprofile), and the original pocket clip was pretty bad.

Those are all gentlemen folders by me. But I’d recommend Al Mar eagle ultralight

Inlay sebenza is a solid idea.
Maybe something from William Henry.
Or the pakkawood dragonfly 2 to class it up a bit.
Those stepped Ti chaparral are nice too.
(I think it’s stepped ti)

Hawk and Serge Orbit. It’s a very small knive, unique blade shape, and comes in some different flavors based if it was done my Hawk or Serge

actually the Massdrop Laconico Keen would be perfect
I am carrying one right now. It impresses the heck out of me, how I could get such a good knife with a great designer for about $155. The S35VN is nice; it holds a good edge; I use it constantly when I need to cut.
It really puts a lot of "much more expensive" folders to shame.

Small Inkosi with an insingo blade can do the job

Mass drop Gent is a good pick too

Böker urban trapper has some nice variation

Kizer Feist is a nice looking one

The IQ quiet carry has recently catch my attention

The lionsteel mimi and the Mcusta Take are not for me but they have some nice versions with wood handles

Just some ideas. I hope it can help

My point on the 0450 was just that if you scale it up to the same size as the lg inkosi, it would just look much more tactical / intense to my eye at least. I’m just looking for something more chill than that is all.

A scaled up 0450 is an 0452.

We all have different points of view. There are a lot of choices available to you.

Personally, I prefer the 0452 and was actually thinking about selling the 0450 because it looks/feels too small. LOL!

The 4" blade on the 0452 doesn't bother me because I like knives w/long blades that look both scary and "stabby." ;)

When I pull this out even knife haters go "Ooh!" Dfly2 G10 with a little help.
View attachment 1061113

A Spyderco Dragonfly is really an excellent option. It's functional, light, and not intimidating at all. I got one for my dad just this Christmas, as he spends a lot of time traveling and values weight economy and versatility in the items he carries. It's legal most places, can't be gravity-opened, and will accomplish about 90% of the knife-related tasks you're ever likely to encounter. It also has a wire clip, which makes it that much less notable in one's pocket.

I picked up this Mcusta Jazz recently and it has a very custom feel.
F&F are on par or better than many customs I own. And seriously, it's the sharpest knife I've ever received right out of the box!
Goes well for a work carry seeing as I work in a jazz club.
OFLWNyc.jpg

Back