Recommendation? Redwing Boots or?

I can’t help you much on casual boots as my experience is mostly hunting, backpacking, mountaineering, but Redwings are a quality boot, hard to go wrong there.

I’m on a second pair of all leather 8” tall Danner Santiam hunting boots with their Danner Bob outsole, the quietest outsole I’ve walked on in the forest and field, I wore the old ones through 17 seasons and the new through the past 6, I highly recommend them for walk/stalk-type hunting. For hiking I have a light weight pair of Merrell Moab II’s and for backpacking I have an old trusted pair of all leather 6” tall Asolo TPS GV’s w/a Vibram outsole. I don’t mountaineer any longer but when I did I trusted upon Asolo mountaineering boots.
Danner is a brand I've looked at. They appear to be quality built. Thanks for the reply

Vibram gets the nod, but then again most that offer Dainite don't offer a Vibram sole anyway. Dainiite is typically offered on more higher priced boots. It's a less obvious non-leather type sole.
Good to know. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge!

Second on the Wolverine mention. Though I've been wanting to try redwings for a while now.

For perspective, I work retail and wear steel toes every day, easily using those toes and walking 25000 to 33000 steps a day.

My pair were around 75 bucks and they're pretty scuffed now, but perfectly functional still.

Good to know. Thanks for the wealth of knowledge!

By the way Vibram soles are typically not found on cheap shoes or boots either. You”ll generally find these on better shoes and boots as well. Merell for example only uses them on their more expensive shoes.

By the way Vibram soles are typically not found on cheap shoes or boots either. You”ll generally find these on better shoes and boots as well. Merell for example only uses them on their more expensive shoes.
Either vibram or dainite sounds like it would work for what I need. And most of the brands you posted will will resole for a fee. Which is a plus. Thanks!

Looking for a high quality pair of leather boots. I've heard Red Wings are good, are there any better leather boots out there?
Are Red Wings worth the money? How durable are they?
Thanks!
I wear Chippewas. Made in the USA, like Red Wing, butess expensive.

Zieg

Second on the Wolverine mention. Though I've been wanting to try redwings for a while now.

For perspective, I work retail and wear steel toes every day, easily using those toes and walking 25000 to 33000 steps a day.

My pair were around 75 bucks and they're pretty scuffed now, but perfectly functional still.
Thanks for the info. They have some nice models!

I was a Redwing fan until I tried a pair of Keens. Keens are now what I wear to work everyday.

What do you like about the Keens over the Redwings?

Zero break in time and just really comfortable. I would get about 18 months out of a pair of redwings and can do the same with the Keens by just changing the insoles once.
The Keens are lighter and pretty durable although I will admit Redwings are probably more durable. It a decent trade off for me because my feet and lower back are much happier with me wearing Keens. Just my experience, your results might be different.

Zero break in time and just really comfortable. I would get about 18 months out of a pair of redwings and can do the same with the Keens by just changing the insoles once.
The Keens are lighter and pretty durable although I will admit Redwings are probably more durable. It a decent trade off for me because my feet and lower back are much happier with me wearing Keens. Just my experience, your results might be different.
If I came across as rude, I didn't mean to. Trying to get as much info and input before I make what is for me a large purchase. Thanks for the info!

If I came across as rude, I didn't mean to. Trying to get as much info and input before I make what is for me a large purchase. Thanks for the info!

I didn’t think you were rude at all. And I get it, boots are expensive. I’ve been wearing work boots for years and Keens are my current favorites. They may or may not work for you but I would definitely suggest checking them out.

I was just introduced to Tricker's an english handmade footwear brand, having been a Redwing guy (Still am, but boots are addicting). Ebay Division X Trickers collaboration.

img_5675-jpg.1168400

I have lots of different brands of boots ... Redwing upland boots are some of my favorites for days I'll be on my feet alot or walking alot ... no real "break in period" with those ...

I have had several pair of Danner boots most were great quaility and held up well ...

I have some Merrel and Kenetrek hiking boots ... both are nice for certain uses ...

I have been wearing Carolina Loggers for many years ... they are comfy and take a beating and I just treat with Browning boot dressing or Obenauf's a couple times a year ...

and my western style boots from nice higher priced cowboy boots to my pull on wellingtons ... usually Justins ... Tony Lamas ... and Naconas ...

just depends what you want in a boot.
I like the Carolina loggers. Thanks for the info!

I recently purchased my first set of Red Wing Iron Rangers and I have no regrets. Yeah, they were expensive (right at $300 out the door with a 10% military discount) but the buying experience was part of the lure of RW boots.

Over the years I've believed that I needed a wide shoe or boot but the RW salesman disagreed. He measured my foot and told me that in RW Iron Rangers I would wear a 9 Medium. He confirmed his opinion with the black and chrome sizing device that you don't see in shoe stores any more. He brought out a couple of pair and I tried the 9D Iron Rangers and started walking around the store. While I was walking around he said my boots that I wore into the store looked "thirsty" and offered to clean and oil them for me and I told him to go for it. My American made Justin boots felt like slippers compared to the IR! My Justin's came out looking better than new and this increased my confidence in the salesman. After 30 minutes of walking around I decided to buy the Iron Rangers.

I've had the IR for about 6 weeks and I wear them daily. They are still breaking in and when I first put them in the morning they aren't exactly comfortable.... but 12+ hours later when I take them off my feet don't hurt at all. When I take off my "comfortable" Justin boots my feet ache.

Bottom line is that I am sold in Red Wing boots. I plan on picking up 2 more pair in the near future a pair of moc toe boots and a pair of RW Blacksmith boots.

I recently purchased my first set of Red Wing Iron Rangers and I have no regrets. Yeah, they were expensive (right at $300 out the door with a 10% military discount) but the buying experience was part of the lure of RW boots.

Over the years I've believed that I needed a wide shoe or boot but the RW salesman disagreed. He measured my foot and told me that in RW Iron Rangers I would wear a 9 Medium. He confirmed his opinion with the black and chrome sizing device that you don't see in shoe stores any more. He brought out a couple of pair and I tried the 9D Iron Rangers and started walking around the store. While I was walking around he said my boots that I wore into the store looked "thirsty" and offered to clean and oil them for me and I told him to go for it. My American made Justin boots felt like slippers compared to the IR! My Justin's came out looking better than new and this increased my confidence in the salesman. After 30 minutes of walking around I decided to buy the Iron Rangers.

I've had the IR for about 6 weeks and I wear them daily. They are still breaking in and when I first put them in the morning they aren't exactly comfortable.... but 12+ hours later when I take them off my feet don't hurt at all. When I take off my "comfortable" Justin boots my feet ache.

Bottom line is that I am sold in Red Wing boots. I plan on picking up 2 more pair in the near future a pair of moc toe boots and a pair of RW Blacksmith boots.
That's great! There's a couple of stores within an hour of me. I'm going to have to go try a few pairs on before I decide. My feet are narrow and I am curious if Redwings are going to be too wide for my feet. I'm glad you're work so well for you!

That's great! There's a couple of stores within an hour of me. I'm going to have to go try a few pairs on before I decide. My feet are narrow and I am curious if Redwings are going to be too wide for my feet. I'm glad you're work so well for you!

Unfortunately depending on the Redwing Store they may or may not stock their Iron Rangers at this store. These being or considered part of their premium line and more expensive than most are not stocked at all of their Redwing Stores. A call ahead might be a good thing especially if the store isn't close by.

Back