Replacing your boot laces with 550 cord...

I started lacing up jungle boots with 550 cord about 30 years ago - since I retired, have not done it much with civilian boots................

Regards,
Ranger325
RP#544

For those that say the paracord laces come undone more easily - what about using a different knot? When I use paracord on other things I can tie it and have it not come undone, maybe for shoe laces using a different knot to the standard bow would work better?

Surely there are good knots that would work well for this! Some can be easily modified to using a bight instead of just the end of the cord for easy undoing later. What do you guys reckon the best knot for this purpose would be?

I use 550 on my work boots. Found out quick a bowtie never stays tight. Switched to a surgeon's knot , and no more problems. ( make it a "slippery" knot if your in a hurry.)

For those that say the paracord laces come undone more easily - what about using a different knot? When I use paracord on other things I can tie it and have it not come undone, maybe for shoe laces using a different knot to the standard bow would work better?

Surely there are good knots that would work well for this! Some can be easily modified to using a bight instead of just the end of the cord for easy undoing later. What do you guys reckon the best knot for this purpose would be?

It's easy to get it done. When making the first half of the tie, throw one extra turn before pulling snug and making your loops. For an even more secure tie that's still easy to undo, an overhand, a second wrap, pull snug, form TWO bights and make an overhand using these two bights, snug up. Easier to do than to say! :)

Stitchawl

Well one time I decided to make a bowdrill with nothing on me but a knife. I used my bootlaces for the bow and proceeded to snap one, then used the other. Got my fire, had to walk back in sloshy boots. My laces are paracord now. I don't find them hard to tie or untie. I think it is great lace material.

I've had paracord laces in my winter (Bean) boots for over 20 years. Works for me with no problems. The paracord is there if I need it, but I also carry a length of lawnmower pull-start cord for a firebow. It grips a spindle better and wears better than anything else I've ever used. I'd be using it for laces but the red and white color looks better in sports shoes than it does in hunting boots.

I replaced my boot laces with paracord when the originals wore out and i couldn't find good replacements.

It's held up much longer and is still in pretty good shape. I'm happy.

It's a little on the slippery side, but not worse then many commericial boot laces. I always double knot my boots anyway, and have never had them come undone.

The trick to take the flex out is to wet the 550 cord and stretch it. We use to do it with our rappel ropes. As the taut line dries, you'll get a more stiff cord that will bight better with knots.

ROCK6

Tried it a couple times, unties for me also. I stick with heavy duty boot laces.

I use paracord in both pairs of boots.. The laces that came with them would fray and go to hell pretty fast.. 550 cord works great.. I also like to stick a few zippo flints in mine and melt the ends to keep em in there just in case..

I use paracord in both pairs of boots.. The laces that came with them would fray and go to hell pretty fast.. 550 cord works great.. I also like to stick a few zippo flints in mine and melt the ends to keep em in there just in case..

I like the way you think, survival kit on your feet :thumbup:

I don't use 550 for laces but have it works. One thing that has worked well for me with laces is to wax them this really keeps them tied up well.

I mean if your gonna necro go big...

I pull the guts out of mine. It's a lot easier to lace them up that way. The dirt and grime that gets in the laces breaks down the normal laces too fast. This way I don't have to change them out as much, and it costs less.

The 550 isn't there as a survival aid. It's just there to keep my boots on my feet. If I need cord I have it on me else where.

IMG_0421.jpg

Atwood Rope Mfg makes two smaller version of Paracord called Tactical Cord and Microcord. They are smaller in diameter and have fewer inner strands. I've started using Tactical Cord for all my boot/shoe laces about a year ago now. I find it holds up much better than paracord and also keeps the boots/shoes tied tighter than 550.

I also keep a coil od ~15' in my pocket as EDC as it takes almost no space.
Tactical
https://atwoodrope.com/search?q=tactical
Micro
https://atwoodrope.com/collections/micro-cord

Jumping the necro bandwagon.
I once bought crappy shoes (never again) from huge sale and one of the first things that came apart was the shoe laces. I tried paracord and it was very tough but they make for very slippery laces. I had to basically do some dumb overhand knots for them to hold. Maybe gutting would work, I don't know.

When in Rome... Compared to actual shoe laces or boot laces, paracord SUCKS as laces. It is tough(ish) but abrades surprisingly easy, and as everyone else has noted doesn't hold a knot well. Shoe laces suck as survival cordage. What sucks more than shoe laces as survival cordage is using paracord as sucky shoe laces and then having to use it as survival cordage- leaving you without any laces.

Back