• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Rick Barrett (Resolved)

The sad thing is, this Rick Barret probably feels like the payment has been fully earned for having to come up with so many excuses for a product he had no intention of even starting. The OP should have made it easier on this poor soul. I'm mean after all, he's just stealing money for the children. Think of the children, damnit.....the children. It's not fair to make him also come up with stories after the "taking of the money".

I drop into GBU once a week or so, to learn things like Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives and barrettcustomknives is a liar and a thief.

OP, you have my sympathy. It’s gotta hurt.

I hope that if I ever go for a custom, the person I deal with is not a liar and a thief like Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives and barrettcustomknives. What a scumbag.

Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives appears to have taken 4 years to finish a knife that was paid for and refused to refund the buyer $2200. Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives in Goshen IN will not refund the buyer until he sells the knife. The buyer is currently without his money OR a knife. There is only one right thing for Rick Barrett to do and that is to refund the $2200 the buyer paid in advance. Anything other than that at this point is unacceptable. It would be nice for Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives, Goshen IN to chime in and explain his side of the story, however, I don’t see any explanation that would preclude Rick Barrett from issuing the OP’s refund immediately. Rick Barrett’s actions up to this point only lead me to conclude that Rick Barrett of Barrett Custom Knives in Goshen IN is a liar and a thief.

I am finally going public with the transaction I have had and still have with Rick Barrett. I was way more patient and understanding than I should have been as you will see in the emails below.

^ You've been far more patient than I would've been. FOUR YEARS!?!?!?

FWIW: I've done several transactions with the OP; he's one of the classiest, most professional people I've been fortunate to meet here. I truly hope, that your custody/relationship with your daughter, continues going in a positive, happy direction. <3

If it were me I would insist on a straight refund of the $2200 immediately. Nothing else. After 4 years he has broken your trust.
I wonder how many others there are out there like you??

^

I'll never understand why makers do this to themselves.

^ :thumbsup::thumbsup:
I mean how difficult is it, to always, conduct business in a highly professional manner, and to hold your name & reputation, to the highest standards?

Awesome update, OP! It's nice to hear, that he finally did the right thing. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Quoted for posterity: Rick Barrett is a thief and lying POS!!

Oh dear, it sounds like

Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief Rick Barrett is a thief

Quoted for posterity: Rick Barrett is a thief and lying POS!!
Arguably "Theft" under Indiana law since 1963, when a number of property crimes, such as "Theft by Deception," were consolidated into a single crime - "Theft."

Indiana "theft" laws include felony charges for crimes ("Grand
Theft") where the stolen property is worth more than $750. The value of the property may be determined in a number of ways, including its replacement cost.

Penalties for "Theft" under Indiana law:
Class A misdemeanor if the value of the property is less than $750; up to 1 yr. in jail, up to a $5,000 fine.
Level 6 felony if the value of the property taken is between $750 and $50,000, or if the person has a prior conviction for theft or criminal conversion; 6 mos. to 2 1/2 yrs. in prison, up to a $10,000 fine.

***I HAVE BEEN REFUNDED***

I received a full refund of $2200. Rick did the right thing, I was not scammed or ripped off in the end. I wish it did not have to come to having to go public, but it's done and over with. I appreciate everyone's responses and support during this process.

For the record, Rick makes awesome knives and I hope this was a learning experience that will not be repeated. A lot of custom knifemakers fall into this rut and it's hard to get out of. Regardless, I wish him the best of luck going forward.

(I posted this at the beginning of the thread as well.)

Oh my heck.

I didn’t see that one coming.
Could it have been the search engines?
Do we all have to go back and edit our posts now?

Congratulations on the resolution!

Oh my heck.

I didn’t see that one coming.
Could it have been the search engines?
Do we all have to go back and edit our posts now?

Congratulations on the resolution!

Thanks and yeah, if there are any other threads out there, I only know of this one and Facebook, please at least update them that this was resolved.

I seriously can't believe the support I got from everyone here. I hope this sends a message to any other makers wanting to walk down the same path. Don't do it!! The reputation hit is not worth it, plain and simple.

I received a full refund of $2200. Rick did the right thing, I was not scammed or ripped off in the end. I wish it did not have to come to having to go public, but it's done and over with. I appreciate everyone's responses and support during this process.

For the record, Rick makes awesome knives and I hope this was a learning experience that will not be repeated. A lot of custom knifemakers fall into this rut and it's hard to get out of. Regardless, I wish him the best of luck going forward.

If someone gets busted after stealing my TV and tells the police where they can find my TV, I wouldn't say that my TV was never stolen, if you catch my drift...

That's great that Rick Barret gave you a refund, after you took this public. I hope he changes his business practices after this.
The hardest knife to make is the one that's already been paid for.
True dat! :cool:

Thanks and yeah, if there are any other threads out there, I only know of this one and Facebook, please at least update them that this was resolved.

I seriously can't believe the support I got from everyone here. I hope this sends a message to any other makers wanting to walk down the same path. Don't do it!! The reputation hit is not worth it, plain and simple.

Good to hear a resolution. Sometimes public pressure is needed to fill the hole where a personal conscience and/or good business practices should have been. After reading your story, I'm afraid that without the public telling, you most likely would have been playing the same game four years from now.

I think that it was very generous of you to give Rick an interest free $2200 open ended loan for four years. Imagine what VISA would have charged???:eek:
Edit (A quick and dirty calculation shows that VISA would have charged around $1600 in interest over the 4 year period.)

I wonder how many of his other "customers" have done the same thing?

Glad you are made whole. I am sure that it's in no small part due to this thread and others like them.

Last edited:
Back