Rick Hinderer Xm-18 Gen 5?

Not happy about the steel insert either. Not a fan of them in general. None of my framelocks have them and I have zero lockup issues. Oh well, guess I'll just stick to the gen 4s.

He explains in the video he made three knives(The Inferno) in the past with a lockbar insert so it’s not a first for him. Also, he explains that if somehow the lock face gets jacked up, the entire frame doesn’t need replacing.

Here you go, best I can do...

https://imgur.com/a/IC9Dq

sfYlAlv.png

3Q6aR0f.png
What kind of maniac lets their phone get down to 4%?

Love that blade shape, not so much the MP-1 frame though, so I sold mine off. That knife just became the top of my list have list!

I agree, the blade shape is awesome but the mp1 not so much. I am looking forward to the blade shape on a xm. The lock bar insert is a meh “upgrade” though.

On the flip side, if this makes people dump their gen 4 for cheap, I might pick a couple up (a slicer and a spearpoint).

I was thinking the opposite. I was thinking a lot of people are going to start buying Gen 4s as moving forward he will be doing steel lock bar inserts in all his knives. Be interesting to see what happens. I am not against a steel lock bar insert but I own a ton of Hinderers and have never had problems with wear or lock stick.

I was thinking the opposite. I was thinking a lot of people are going to start buying Gen 4s as moving forward he will be doing steel lock bar inserts in all his knives. Be interesting to see what happens. I am not against a steel lock bar insert but I own a ton of Hinderers and have never had problems with wear or lock stick.
I agree, thankfully there are lot's of Gen4's in the wild. So I guess the only way to have a sheepsfoot XM will be to have a lockface insert? (other than a blade swap)

Is there a reason people do not like or want a lockbar insert? I am thinking of buying my first Hinderer and like the insert myself after destroying a lockbar on a Sebenza. I ended up with dozens of Axis locks after that since they IMHO are better.

The lockbar insert will not influence me in any way to purchase a gen 5. The sheepsfoot blade will seal the deal with me. This blade profile looks great with the Xm handle. I don’t believe that the new generation will cause people to dump their gen 4’s into the market. The differences are minimal.

Is there a reason people do not like or want a lockbar insert? I am thinking of buying my first Hinderer and like the insert myself after destroying a lockbar on a Sebenza. I ended up with dozens of Axis locks after that since they IMHO are better.
Simple, as in the KISS principle. May I ask how you destroyed a Sebenza lockbar?

People dislike change, and there is always a perception, whenever a change is made, that the previous version was somehow inferior.

As many have mentioned, Hinderer has always done his titanium lockbars correctly, and the change isn't necessarily needed. But, Hinderer is smart enough to see the writing on the wall. Fail to innovate, and get lost in the shuffle.

I think it’s a good thing. Will definitely add strength to the knife.

Simple, as in the KISS principle. May I ask how you destroyed a Sebenza lockbar?

Yes sir, about 10 years ago I decided to try to do some light batoning with it in the locked open position for kindling. (Yes, I know now.) It never damaged my Axis locks, so I though it should be ok if I am careful, but a couple hits in and it was destroyed. The vertical lock rock was about an 1/8th of an inch. I kept going with an axis lock for another couple hours, That was the last time I ever used a folder to baton with. Yes, even Axis locks.

There's a video of Rick at SHOT Show (I forget which channel - maybe BladeHQ) that explains the change. He basically said they have had a number of warranty issues around lockbar problems, that either were expensive/difficult to fix, or couldn't be fixed without replacing the entire lock side. He said the lockbar insert will reduce their warranty costs and turnaround time.

He specifically mentioned problems caused by people batoning their XM-18s ;)

I think it's easy to forget that the people on this forum aren't necessarily a representative sample of customers for a lot of these brands. Someone spending time reading about knives probably knows a lot more about use and maintenance than a typical customer, who'll abuse the hell out of a knife and then send it in expecting it to be fixed. I'm guessing this change is targeted more at those types of customers.

Back