Rick Hinderer Xm-18 Gen 5?

There's a video of Rick at SHOT Show (I forget which channel - maybe BladeHQ) that explains the change. He basically said they have had a number of warranty issues around lockbar problems, that either were expensive/difficult to fix, or couldn't be fixed without replacing the entire lock side. He said the lockbar insert will reduce their warranty costs and turnaround time.

He specifically mentioned problems caused by people batoning their XM-18s ;)

I think it's easy to forget that the people on this forum aren't necessarily a representative sample of customers for a lot of these brands. Someone spending time reading about knives probably knows a lot more about use and maintenance than a typical customer, who'll abuse the hell out of a knife and then send it in expecting it to be fixed. I'm guessing this change is targeted more at those types of customers.

Yes it is Blade HQ. He mentions batoning, I have been lurking on these forums when it was boring in 1999 and it had almost no members. I was one of the first 300 people to buy a Busse Combat Battle mistress with the swedge. I know knives, Never trusted the Walker, liner, frame lock after both of my Microtech Socoms along with my brother in-laws all folded by spine whacking them and all failing in the palm of my hand. I was a Chris Reeve dealer, after The failure of the bar I just went to the stronger lock. I do want to try out a Gen 5 Hinderer though and will keep the batoning to my INFI.

There's a video of Rick at SHOT Show (I forget which channel - maybe BladeHQ) that explains the change. He basically said they have had a number of warranty issues around lockbar problems, that either were expensive/difficult to fix, or couldn't be fixed without replacing the entire lock side. He said the lockbar insert will reduce their warranty costs and turnaround time.

He specifically mentioned problems caused by people batoning their XM-18s ;)

I think it's easy to forget that the people on this forum aren't necessarily a representative sample of customers for a lot of these brands. Someone spending time reading about knives probably knows a lot more about use and maintenance than a typical customer, who'll abuse the hell out of a knife and then send it in expecting it to be fixed. I'm guessing this change is targeted more at those types of customers.

Whether people on this forum are representives of the general knife customers, I dont know. But I highly doubt people who do not have much knowledge of knives (i.e. how to properly use and maintain a folding knife) would drop four bills on a folder. This makes me believe Rick adds a steel lockbar insert primarily because thats where the market is rather than to fix/address a design problem.

But I highly doubt people who do not have much knowledge of knives (i.e. how to properly use and maintain a folding knife) would drop four bills on a folder.

So I can't speak to knives, but my other big hobby is photography, and I've seen PLENTY of people at workshops with $3500 cameras and $2500 lenses who had to be taught the relationship with aperture and depth of field, or other basics. I wouldn't at all be surprised if people with money go to a store, ask what's the best knife they can get, and walk out with a Sebenza or XM-18 just because the clerk recommended it.

Whether people on this forum are representives of the general knife customers, I dont know. But I highly doubt people who do not have much knowledge of knives (i.e. how to properly use and maintain a folding knife) would drop four bills on a folder. This makes me believe Rick adds a steel lockbar insert primarily because thats where the market is rather than to fix/address a design problem.
I don’t understand the problem. He made the xm18 Stronger And easier to fix. What is the problem?

Having had an XM with lock bar face failure I think I’m a bit qualified to speak on this matter.

I think this is a cost saving measure by rick and nothing more. In my experience the lock bars are not a weak point unless they are set too shallow from the ranch AND abused beyond their intended use. Do I think it’s a necessary change, no, however if it cuts cost for rick in warranty and therefore helps keep the pricing down to the consumer then so be it.

The XM won't operate any differently with or without a lockbar interface, so it won't make a bit of difference to me.
The sheepsfoot blade sells it, and as soon as the previously mentioned M390 no-choil is released ;) I'm in.

whitty whitty any idea when these will be available?

If all goes as planned no later than the last week of February!

Every xm-18 I have owned has suffered terrible lock stick. I think this is a good move.

I am not doubting you at all but we have had thousands of Hinderer knives pass through this store and I personally have checked out every single one of them. Not once has lock stick been an issue. I also own and have used over 30 Hinderer knives and never once had a lock stick issue. Grant it we have only been a Hinderer dealer for the past 4 years so I can not speak to earlier generations. If it was a problem it has not been one i have seen or been aware of since we have been a dealer. Regardless I welcome the insert. It does not hurt anything and I think it makes the knife more relevant to the newer models coming out these days. I guess we will all find out what the market thinks very soon.

Any news on the Gen 5's?

Are they really shipping out in the next couple of weeks?
I asked my go to European retailer and they haven't even heard of it.

Any news on the Gen 5's?

Some of the very first ones were rolling off the assembly line last week. That means they gotta check and make sure everything is good on those. If so they should crank out a nice size batch this week. I believe Spanto is first and then Sheepsfoot quickly behind that.

Any news on the Gen 5's?

Some US retailers have the sheepsfoot blades already, although without the lockbar inserts.

Some US retailers have the sheepsfoot blades already, although without the lockbar inserts.

We got some in as well but they are all the DLC and as you noted are the Gen 4s.

Some of the very first ones were rolling off the assembly line last week. That means they gotta check and make sure everything is good on those. If so they should crank out a nice size batch this week. I believe Spanto is first and then Sheepsfoot quickly behind that.
Any idea how far down the road spearpoints or slicer grinds would be? I want a Gen 5 a lot but neither the spanto or the sheepsfoot really appeal to me. I guess I could live with a spanto if you twisted my arm but yeah.

Any idea how far down the road spearpoints or slicer grinds would be? I want a Gen 5 a lot but neither the spanto or the sheepsfoot really appeal to me. I guess I could live with a spanto if you twisted my arm but yeah.

Honestly no idea right now. Discussion with Rick has not gone past the Spanto and Sheepsfoot.

Back