Ridiculous budget blade-4 dollar Ozark Trails folders, good blade-pic heavy

This goofy thread made me stop into my local wally world and buy one.

I was expecting to find the knife was total garbage, but outside of a messed up tip that I quickly corrected it's a surprising amount of knife for $4.

Of course, if I wanted to buy an 8Cr13MoV Chinese knife from wally world I'd still rather spend another twenty bucks and get a Kershaw Amplitude 3.25, but I have to admit how surprised I was at the $4 knife's quality relative to its price.

Right we All know it's not a crk but for the buck it's a well put together knife. Does it have flaws yes but the amount of money it took to build kudos to them. Hell I've bought crappier Kershaw for more money

Na, Bobby I've handled enough knives and owned hundreds and still own hundreds, to know what I'll spend on by looking at them.

Guess what, a lot of us who bought these own and have owned hundreds too. I got Kershaws, ZT, Spyderco, lots more. Am I saying one of these $4 knives is the same quality as my ZT350, or my Manix 2's, or my Blurs? Of course not. But that doesn't mean these are bad. Your knife whisperer skills are not doubt impressive, but it doesn't change that you're forming an opinion on, what, psychic readings? The knife's voice in your head? *I* am forming my opinion on actually USING one. I've whacked the spine, tried to force them closed, no lock failure. I've tried to wiggle the blade and get it to develop play, no luck. I've cut up boxes, it doesn't stay sharp as long as something of S30V or XHP or whatever, but again, for $4, I'm not expecting $80 edge holding.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. There ARE some QC issues. I definitely recommend LOOKING at the lock rather than just grabbing one at random, and the flipping action on some of them is indeed rather stiff. Am I saying throw away your Benchmades and Spydercos and replace them all with these? No, again, of course not. I'm saying that it's a remarkably decent knife for $4, and is NOT a bad choice to toss in a tackle box, throw in your glove box, give to your kid as a "first folder", or loan out to your friend who wants to "borrow your knife" for vague reasons that turn out to be prying nails out of a wall or splitting a rock or something. Your friend chips the blade? Kid loses his knife 2 days after you give it to them? Someone ransacks your car and jacks the knife in the glove box? You're out $4, don't supersize your meal the next time you hit up McDonalds or Whataburger or whatever and you've already made up your loss. Yes, there are other budget blades, you can get a $20 Chinese Kershaw, or a $14 Enlan or Sanrenmu and get something that performs a little better, and hey, nothing wrong with that, I got those too, a cheap Kershaw is usually what I carry. But even at the $14 you'd spend on a cheap Enlan, you could still get one of these for your glove box, one for the trunk, and one for the tackle box with a buck to spare.

Guess what, a lot of us who bought these own and have owned hundreds too. I got Kershaws, ZT, Spyderco, lots more. Am I saying one of these $4 knives is the same quality as my ZT350, or my Manix 2's, or my Blurs? Of course not. But that doesn't mean these are bad. Your knife whisperer skills are not doubt impressive, but it doesn't change that you're forming an opinion on, what, psychic readings? The knife's voice in your head? *I* am forming my opinion on actually USING one. I've whacked the spine, tried to force them closed, no lock failure. I've tried to wiggle the blade and get it to develop play, no luck. I've cut up boxes, it doesn't stay sharp as long as something of S30V or XHP or whatever, but again, for $4, I'm not expecting $80 edge holding.

Is it perfect? No, of course not. There ARE some QC issues. I definitely recommend LOOKING at the lock rather than just grabbing one at random, and the flipping action on some of them is indeed rather stiff. Am I saying throw away your Benchmades and Spydercos and replace them all with these? No, again, of course not. I'm saying that it's a remarkably decent knife for $4, and is NOT a bad choice to toss in a tackle box, throw in your glove box, give to your kid as a "first folder", or loan out to your friend who wants to "borrow your knife" for vague reasons that turn out to be prying nails out of a wall or splitting a rock or something. Your friend chips the blade? Kid loses his knife 2 days after you give it to them? Someone ransacks your car and jacks the knife in the glove box? You're out $4, don't supersize your meal the next time you hit up McDonalds or Whataburger or whatever and you've already made up your loss. Yes, there are other budget blades, you can get a $20 Chinese Kershaw, or a $14 Enlan or Sanrenmu and get something that performs a little better, and hey, nothing wrong with that, I got those too, a cheap Kershaw is usually what I carry. But even at the $14 you'd spend on a cheap Enlan, you could still get one of these for your glove box, one for the trunk, and one for the tackle box with a buck to spare.
You're wasting your breath, or umm fingers trying to relate any form common sense into that one. She's a psychic knife queen whom has handled and owned hundreds of knives and prefers personal bias over facts.

I don't think I need one. I might buy one and give it away, but I'd put another knife with it to make shipping worthwhile.

I don't think I need one. I might buy one and give it away, but I'd put another knife with it to make shipping worthwhile.
Might I suggest this one? Don't worry, it's half the cost.

c613e1a573c838f6d7fb96404a10cc27.jpg

FYI - now I don't want you guys to go crashing their website like KAI or anything, but just saw the knife this thread is about for even less than what it's at in stores! (ended in .47!)

Jill, for hating wal mart so much, you're always in there it seems. It's like the knives are calling to you.... Just get one already!

On topic, I'm gonna do a whole stress test tonight and pictures will come after I get off work. Stay tuned folks.

Some new ones out! Man with the holidays how am I going to afford another one.........oh yeah these are affordable enough that i can!

I wanted to getthe carbon fiber looking one I saw today but for some reason that particular Wal-Mart had these knives locked up on one of those peg hooks with a plastic insert on the package to keep from ripping it off the hook and no one around to unlock it

I have been using them to open Amazon packages as they arrive to the house. Christmas presents for the children. Now Jill, they might not have opened the packages as perfectly as you would like them too, but it did the job. Jill, why don't you want my children to have presents?

Another thing worth mentioning is that for the price these are a great option for someone trying to learn how to free hand sharpen. They're real easy to sharpen and surprisingly take an incredibly sharp edge. Or if someone wants to mod a knife, but doesn't want to take their good knives to the grinder without any experience first. Buy one of these and grind away, and practice your technique to ensure you don't ruin your good one.

I have been using them to open Amazon packages as they arrive to the house. Christmas presents for the children. Now Jill, they might not have opened the packages as perfectly as you would like them too, but it did the job. Jill, why don't you want my children to have presents?
Do you seriously think so low of your kids that you'd open their presents with a mere $4 knife. I wouldn't open my kids presents with anything less than a hinderer. [emoji57]

Do you seriously think so low of your kids that you'd open their presents with a mere $4 knife. I wouldn't open my kids presents with anything less than a hinderer. [emoji57]
Haha, I know, right!

I sliced up my thumb a couple weeks ago and it made it painful for me to open my leatherman waves balde. So I went and picked up the tan one. It works pretty good the flipper only works with a little wrist action but the lock is solid and I actually really like the blade shape.

Back