Ridiculous budget blade-4 dollar Ozark Trails folders, good blade-pic heavy

Ok, now that I've read through all 200 entries in this thread, I think I have the gist down finally. But still a little unsure of one thing.....what does Jill really think about this knife? Just give me a hint. I don't want to have to read the entire thing again. [emoji12]

Ok, now that I've read through all 200 entries in this thread, I think I have the gist down finally. But still a little unsure of one thing.....what does Jill really think about this knife? Just give me a hint. I don't want to have to read the entire thing again. [emoji12]

Jill's a big fan of this knife, from what I've gathered, anyways. I heard she bought 4!

Nothing wrong with these, I got two, they get dull easily, but I strip a lot of wire with them. For $4 they're fine. I also have a couple cheapo Imperials from the dollar store, and they're ok too for what they are. I probably EDC these junkers more than anything else, I'm no knife snob, and I don't have the cash to just up and replace a $100 knife if I lose one, and I have lost $100 knives. You lose a $4-5 knife, it's nothing, merely an annoyance. Besides, if (God Forbid)..you ever did have to use a knife for self defense, what will look better to a jury, a $4 Wal Mart knife that it's apparent you put no thought whatsoever into buying..or the latest "tactical masterpiece made for the Spec Ops Crowd and Combat Proven in 1000 documented Hand to Hand Combat Kills?"

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm gonna buy one a do a give away, but it's not gonna be hand picked. Just random off the rack. :(

I refuse to believe you would stoop so low as to not giveaway a custom hand picked $4 Wal Mart knife. I prefer Mammoth Scales. Thanks.

I have to ask....

Should we risk waiting to purchase these till the after Christmas mark down sale? We might be able to get them for $2.00 (or less)!

"Do you feel lucky?"

I found just the one Jill should giveaway. Might take looking through a few different Wally Worlds, but keep at it, I'm sure it's out there.

pizap.com14490599266061_zpsjjrlm6dq.jpg

(sitting idly, waiting for infraction message :D )

Last edited:
Totally worth it thou lol

Lol. Yeah. And I kinda have a point. Really, if somebody handed you one of these (un-pimped :D ) and you weren't told the price, you were just asked to use the thing, and it was sterile, without markings of any kind, would anyone think it cost four bucks? I wouldn't. If the same knife, unmarked, with an actual mammoth ivory slab expoxied on it, and maybe a $5 red titanium stud were added to it, what would you consider its value to be then? So much of this is subjective, and a lot is based strictly on the perceived value and the known maker's reputation. Some people will know it isn't great steel, just by looking, but this same $4 knife, with some time on a buffer, some bling, and a lack of an origin story..and a lot of folks would consider it a "nice knife".
Knife making is a business, but it's kinda a niche market. We all know and like certain makers, so naturally, we consider that product to be superior. In many cases, it is superior, but just because something is inferior doesn't make it unusable or terrible. I wouldn't go so far as to say the knife world is a popularity contest, but there's an amount of that that has market influence.

Jill, if you were handed one, and weren't told what it cost at Wal Mart, and weren't told the blade steel, etc..what would you say it's "worth", though? If you were handed one, and asked "Jill, we want you to figure out a retail price to sell these knives for..", what would you ask for it?

Lol. Yeah. And I kinda have a point. Really, if somebody handed you one of these (un-pimped :D ) and you weren't told the price, you were just asked to use the thing, and it was sterile, without markings of any kind, would anyone think it cost four bucks? I wouldn't. If the same knife, unmarked, with an actual mammoth ivory slab expoxied on it, and maybe a $5 red titanium stud were added to it, what would you consider its value to be then? So much of this is subjective, and a lot is based strictly on the perceived value and the known maker's reputation. Some people will know it isn't great steel, just by looking, but this same $4 knife, with some time on a buffer, some bling, and a lack of an origin story..and a lot of folks would consider it a "nice knife".
The problem is so many people are knife snobs, and if a knife isn't $100 or more its automatically junk. When viewing these knives you gotta see em for what they are, a cheap beater knife. For a $4 knife they a great option for a knife you can use without care of breaking, or losing it. I'd personally rather take a $4 knife that easily sharpens and pry out staples, cut wire, and whatever other dirty task that could possibly damage a knife rather than chip the edge on my s110v pm2 And spend the next hour repairing the edge.

No one is saying these can replace your normal edc knife, or you should stop buying expensive knives bc these $4 are just as good...bc they're not....these can't compare with a spyderco, benchmade, Emerson, or hinderer...but compared to other folding knives on the sub $15 range these are a great option, and at $4 beat out your typical gas station knives.

The problem is so many people are knife snobs, and if a knife isn't $100 or more its automatically junk. When viewing these knives you gotta see em for what they are, a cheap beater knife. For a $4 knife they a great option for a knife you can use without care of breaking, or losing it. I'd personally rather take a $4 knife that easily sharpens and pry out staples, cut wire, and whatever other dirty task that could possibly damage a knife rather than chip the edge on my s110v pm2 And spend the next hour repairing the edge.

No one is saying these can replace your normal edc knife, or you should stop buying expensive knives bc these $4 are just as good...bc they're not....these can't compare with a spyderco, benchmade, Emerson, or hinderer...but compared to other folding knives on the sub $15 range these are a great option, and at $4 beat out your typical gas station knives.

I couldn't have said it better.

No I'm not a knife snob. I just bought a 20 dollar Buck and have many knives worth less than 100 dollars. I just stopped buying extremely low dollar (as in under 10 bucks) long ago. I'd as soon pay a bit more and get something that I know will serve me well. I use everything from a 15 dollar Mora, a 20 dollar Buck, to a over 400 dollar Hinderer. Nothing wrong with using a cheaper knife, I just stopped seeing the value of these super cheap knives a long time ago. Just my opinion.

Here's my last knife I've bought, with another I've had for over 20 years. I was about 8 when it was gave to me.

qn1i00.jpg

No I'm not a knife snob. I just bought a 20 dollar Buck and have many knives worth less than 100 dollars. I just stopped buying extremely low dollar (as in under 10 bucks) long ago. I'd as soon pay a bit more and get something that I know will serve me well. I use everything from a 15 dollar Mora, a 20 dollar Buck, to a over 400 dollar Hinderer. Nothing wrong with using a cheaper knife, I just stopped seeing the value of these super cheap knives a long time ago. Just my opinion.

Here's my last knife I've bought, with another I've had for over 20 years. I was about 8 when it was gave to me.

qn1i00.jpg

Ok well you're saying that bc you had value knives in the past that let you down that automatically makes these junk? Thou you have no personal experience with em, you've made a bias based off other cheap knives.

So I guess at this point I'm gonna try and break one just to see how far it'll go...I've already batoned and cross batoned it then made feather sticks without any issue, didn't really even dull much if any. Few swipes on strop and it'll whittle hair. I've tested the lockup without failure, guess I'll put it in a benchvice later on and whack the spine with a mallet to try and make it fail.

Last edited:
I just looked at the liner locks and noticed a lot of them, were not locked at all and some were all the way over. They were also very thin. That and people that posted here saying, you can't even turn the pivot screw without it breaking. The liner seems harder than the blade steel, lead me to believe they're a waste of money. Sorry, you don't like my opinion Bobby. That's just how it goes. If I'd have looked and determined they were worth the 4 bucks I'd have gladly walked out with one. As it is I didn't see the value.

Back