Ringed Fixed blade for SD ?

bubbaskyjacker

Gold Member
Hello all,

I’m looking for a nice ringed fixedblade for Self defense due to the communists state I live in CCW is not an option. I don’t want a karambit because they look scary and I could never use it for general knife tasks at work. Please let me know of some good options that I haven’t found any any suggestions would be great.

I take public transportation where 3 people were killed in 1 week and the police are about as sparse as 100$ bills on the ground.

So far I have found-

Boker accomplice - looks good

Extrema ratio nk3k - looks good

Tops ice dagger - I like the double edge but the ring looks uncomfortable

Zu bladeworx a few models - kinda expensive

Just a heads up, the ring could be interpreted as a "metal knuckle", which is a felony if I remember right:( (I'm also in the Bay area).

I've toyed with the idea of carrying a fixed blade again, but the impracticality of making sure it's visible at all times always turns me back to folders. I'd go with a Cold Steel that has a "waveable" thumbplate, as big as local regs allow (4" when loitering in S.F. :rolleyes:)

~Chip

Max Venom makes a model that I’ve pondered a few times called the Karambite. It may interest you. They have another one or two bigger models as well if I’m remembering correctly.

Shite, just saw you didn’t want a karambit. Ringed self defense = karambit to me. Sorry about that!

Perhaps one of these?

Cold Steel Double Agent II
Shadow Tech Bandit
Bark River Donnybrook

Flagrant Beard Havoc- about $140 and single edge. Some of the double edged blades are banned in many areas. I put an Ulti-clip on mine and wear it in front pocket.
The George Knives sabot ringed knife is a great little fixed blade. Could be worn on a belt and hardly anyone would notice it. Also not scary if you used it for other stuff.

There's a god thread in Prac Tac from a few months back that hashes out the topic. Look up "Straight ringed knife"

If you have a PM2 or Para 3 you could put a Wisemen Fang and Signet Ring on it, the Signet Rings are compatible with a couple other Spydercos including the Delica/Endura and the Matriarch also. Cold Steel has a few options too, including the already mentioned Double Agent and a wavable folder called the Tiger Claw that is more Hawkbill than Karambit.

If you have a PM2 or Para 3 you could put a Wisemen Fang and Signet Ring on it, the Signet Rings are compatible with a couple other Spydercos including the Delica/Endura and the Matriarch also. Cold Steel has a few options too, including the already mentioned Double Agent and a wavable folder called the Tiger Claw that is more Hawkbill than Karambit.
I don't like the way the signet rings force the knife to sit in your hand, all extended. It feels weird. You'll see. Good concept but it isn't optimal.

Look at the Max Venom PKM. Really the best you're going to get. Its the opposite of a karambit. I carried one for years.

Can’t seem to find that thread in the search. And his name did not pop up either. I’ll keep looking.

I hear ya on the spyderco i look into that.

Mostly interested in a fixed blade. One less thing think about.

If I was going to carry a fixed blade for self defense only it would be the old cold steel Desperado no ring but checks all the slashing boxes. And if for self defense and utility I would go with the Perrin street Bowie by Spyderco again no ring but that isn't coming out of my hand in a scuffle. Sorry for no ring suggestions.

Pictures because:

Improved-Trench-Knife.jpg

My take on the general concept, CMFTW made.

Bastinelli does some nice work. This little guy here is a Rancunier, and it cuts way above what you would think by its size. If I get the knife budget fat enough again or if there are some good sales, the next one on the list is the Picoeur scalpel.
TEq4h4u.jpg

Flagrant Beard Havoc- about $140 and single edge. Some of the double edged blades are banned in many areas. I put an Ulti-clip on mine and wear it in front pocket.
The George Knives sabot ringed knife is a great little fixed blade. Could be worn on a belt and hardly anyone would notice it. Also not scary if you used it for other stuff.

That Flagrant beard...thing... is no knife. It is simply a poignard. It is so excessively thick behind the edge that it simply will never cut.

Hello all,

I’m looking for a nice ringed fixedblade for Self defense due to the communists state I live in CCW is not an option. I don’t want a karambit because they look scary and I could never use it for general knife tasks at work. Please let me know of some good options that I haven’t found any any suggestions would be great.

I take public transportation where 3 people were killed in 1 week and the police are about as sparse as 100$ bills on the ground.

So far I have found-

Boker accomplice - looks good

Extrema ratio nk3k - looks good

Tops ice dagger - I like the double edge but the ring looks uncomfortable

Zu bladeworx a few models - kinda expensive

Is there a blade size that you prefer? Do you care what side of the handle the ring is on? (Blade side vs butt side)

Here’s some suggestions for some small concealable ringed fixed blades. The sizes vary abit but are all small enough that you will carry them and not find them annoying and leave them at home.

Some of them are neck knives but can be worn in the belt using a static cord. I just use the ball chain necklace as a static cord. (Just google static cord knife carry if you’re not sure what static cord carry is. It is one of the best low profile ways to carry a fixed blade.) All of these knives can perform EDC task cuts as well.

Off the top of my head.

Blade side ring fixed:
Perrin La Griffe, Brous Silent Soldier Neck knife (Ranger is my fav silent soldier model, all silent soldier neck knives come with belt clip too) White River Knucklehead, Les George Sabot. Hide Away Knife (or budget version of Hide away, the Talon knife)

Here are some butt side ring fixed blades:
Kabar Snake Charmer, Bastinelli Mini Mako, Bastinelli Picoeur (has a very tiny blade), Benchmade SOCP (Too obtuse to cut, only can stab really)

Here are some ringed self defense folders. (Not karambits) imho for a folder to even be considered for self defense a wave feature or wave substitute is an absolute must:
Bastinelli Mako folder, Fox DART

As for the Signet ring; I don’t know how it would feel on the Para2 but on the Delica it made the knife grip extremely weird in my hand. I imagine it would be even worse with the Endura due to the longer handle.

Back