Ringed Fixed blade for SD ?

You sure know all the right people. :thumbsup:

I'm interested in your thoughts of the concept of the double-edged ringed blade. For a short blade, I find the using "pikal" jabs as your go to, with added karambit-like forward striking options make for a very effective and efficient package. My main discipline has been Krav Maga and such strikes are a natural extension of empty-hand skills.

I’ve been lucky to call some of the best Blade smiths and knife makers out there friend

I carry a knife weak side due to my primary carry gun is right

I draw left handed ice pick grip edge forward

Gives a very fast draw with a slashing up motion that leads to a downward hammer fist target area....that lovely soft spot between your collar bone and trap or neck

After the initial draw and strikes I prefer to use a more saber type grip but I’m very open to trying different stuff hence my recent purchase of a Karambit the provoke ......which still Has not got here wtf :)

My back ground was kendo and my sparring with blades has always followed that theory of timing and distance and my knife sparring with trainers has always shown to me at least that distance and timing are good things with edged weapons

But I’m interested in all edged tools and their use hence my curiosity for these ringed blades

I’ll keep you posted

Thx

Last edited:
I used to carry much larger blades but I’ve gone to smaller these days

Here is an old video that demonstrates how I carried larger blades weak side

Now with smaller blades I just rotated to horizontal weak side instead of sash ...still same area that I’ve programmed

Your better off carrying a self defense cane or walking stick.
I disagree. I'd suggest developing empty hand skills and then translating them to a knife instead of learning opposite systems. Could get confusing in the heat of it. I have heard of a cane being effective though. To each their own.

I used to carry much larger blades but I’ve gone to smaller these days

Here is an old video that demonstrates how I carried larger blades weak side

Now with smaller blades I just rotated to horizontal weak side instead of sash ...still same area that I’ve programmed

Cool segment on sash carry, that's how I carry my large blades, in crossdraw. I also use a static cord, I picked it up from Gabe Suarez a while back.

You can buy a Spyderco Para3 and add a finger signet. It’s an inexpensive add on. I’m not sure it can be added to the para2.

You can buy a Spyderco Para3 and add a finger signet. It’s an inexpensive add on. I’m not sure it can be added to the para2.
Research that before you buy. It really isn't meant for retention in grip, as it sits too far back to be comfortable or natural when held in the icepick grip. @Lapedog has some experience if I recall.

I disagree. I'd suggest developing empty hand skills and then translating them to a knife instead of learning opposite systems. Could get confusing in the heat of it. I have heard of a cane being effective though. To each their own.
No skill involved to bash someone with a cane or stick

No skill involved to bash someone with a cane or stick
Let's hope your attacker read the same script as you. Also, it would look really, really strange if I carried a stick everywhere. I like to go concealed, and for good reason these days.

Let's hope your attacker read the same script as you. Also, it would look really, really strange if I carried a stick everywhere. I like to go concealed, and for good reason these days.
Plenty of people carry canes and walking sticks everywhere it's not strange at all

According to Mike Janich, who knows a thing or two about knife SD use, the ring sits too far back for a proper hold.
The Signet ring is good for yanking your knife out of the pocket (looks good with the WM Co Fang).

Just a heads up, the ring could be interpreted as a "metal knuckle", which is a felony if I remember right:( (I'm also in the Bay area).

I've toyed with the idea of carrying a fixed blade again, but the impracticality of making sure it's visible at all times always turns me back to folders. I'd go with a Cold Steel that has a "waveable" thumbplate, as big as local regs allow (4" when loitering in S.F. :rolleyes:)

~Chip

Any links to those SF knife laws? The only thing I've seen is a 3" limit for loitering or at places that serve alcohol. I never heard of any 4" limit

Last edited:
Back