1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Ringed Fixed blade for SD ?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by bubbaskyjacker, Nov 3, 2018.

1. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006

I’ve been lucky to call some of the best Blade smiths and knife makers out there friend

I carry a knife weak side due to my primary carry gun is right

I draw left handed ice pick grip edge forward

Gives a very fast draw with a slashing up motion that leads to a downward hammer fist target area....that lovely soft spot between your collar bone and trap or neck

After the initial draw and strikes I prefer to use a more saber type grip but I’m very open to trying different stuff hence my recent purchase of a Karambit the provoke ......which still Has not got here wtf :)

My back ground was kendo and my sparring with blades has always followed that theory of timing and distance and my knife sparring with trainers has always shown to me at least that distance and timing are good things with edged weapons

But I’m interested in all edged tools and their use hence my curiosity for these ringed blades

I’ll keep you posted

Thx

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    W. Anderson likes this.
  2. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    I used to carry much larger blades but I’ve gone to smaller these days

Here is an old video that demonstrates how I carried larger blades weak side

Now with smaller blades I just rotated to horizontal weak side instead of sash ...still same area that I’ve programmed

Filthyj24 and W. Anderson like this.
  3. Owen K.

Owen K. Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 9, 2016
    I’d vote for the folding CRKT karrambit. It’s just BA.

4. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012
    Your better off carrying a self defense cane or walking stick.

W. Anderson likes this.
  5. W. Anderson

W. Anderson Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 22, 2016
    I disagree. I'd suggest developing empty hand skills and then translating them to a knife instead of learning opposite systems. Could get confusing in the heat of it. I have heard of a cane being effective though. To each their own.

6. JParanee

Dec 23, 2006

I disagree also

You’re better off carrying a gun

Filthyj24 and W. Anderson like this.
  7. W. Anderson

Jun 22, 2016
    Cool segment on sash carry, that's how I carry my large blades, in crossdraw. I also use a static cord, I picked it up from Gabe Suarez a while back.

8. JDRanger

JDRanger

Aug 14, 2017
    You can buy a Spyderco Para3 and add a finger signet. It’s an inexpensive add on. I’m not sure it can be added to the para2.

9. W. Anderson

Jun 22, 2016
    Research that before you buy. It really isn't meant for retention in grip, as it sits too far back to be comfortable or natural when held in the icepick grip. @Lapedog has some experience if I recall.

10. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012

11. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012
    No skill involved to bash someone with a cane or stick

12. W. Anderson

Jun 22, 2016
    Let's hope your attacker read the same script as you. Also, it would look really, really strange if I carried a stick everywhere. I like to go concealed, and for good reason these days.

13. mabrowns

mabrowns

Apr 18, 2012
    Plenty of people carry canes and walking sticks everywhere it's not strange at all

W. Anderson likes this.
  14. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    According to Mike Janich, who knows a thing or two about knife SD use, the ring sits too far back for a proper hold.
    The Signet ring is good for yanking your knife out of the pocket (looks good with the WM Co Fang).

W. Anderson likes this.
  15. bubbaskyjacker

bubbaskyjacker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2008
    The John gray / Boker Accomplice is quite nice and could fit the bill.

W. Anderson and teddyashe like this.
  16. Filthyj24

Filthyj24 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 5, 2016
    How about an izula 2 with no scales?

17. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Any links to those SF knife laws? The only thing I've seen is a 3" limit for loitering or at places that serve alcohol. I never heard of any 4" limit

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  18. WValtakis

WValtakis Hand Engraving, Anodizing and Embellishment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2004
    Kaizen1 likes this.
  19. Kaizen1

Kaizen1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2006
    WValtakis likes this.