Ringed Fixed blade for SD ?

Ronin tactics sakura blade. Benchmade or Spartan SOCP variants.

I believe that Spartan actually makes the knives for Ronin tactics. Aside from the Sakura Ronin makes a straight handled ringed tanto also.

lefts.jpg

I have been on this journey for quite some time now. I have tried as many "ringed" knives as I can afford . some are good others not so much . I will relate my own experiences/opinions that I have arrived at over this time and also show you a cpl pics of what I am carrying right now though its already shaping up to being relegated to storage soon. Its the Toor Knives "Jank Shank". Not really loving it so far. No rounded edges its all sharp and hot spots everywhere. the overall length is good at 6" but am not having an easy time re programing to using my middle finger through the hole and its not as secure a grip. it is nice and pointy though. steel is S35Vn. but more thought needs to be put into the ergos. the stock sheath it comes with sucks big time. Ulticlip is the new small version.
yd4A0pA.jpg

bcX4lph.jpg

The Bastinelli models are ok. the one thing they get right is everything is rounded and chamfered no hot spots. good ergos. the problem is the Picouer is a tiny blade that would have barely any effect against an aggressor also if you have big hands there is not enough room for a solid grip where you hand doesn't contact the edge. and the one I had wasn't even sharp. the little Karambit picouer is better. Its a chisel grind . good luck sharpening that little sucker. it has more handle which is good. buts its only a slasher.

The Brous silent soldier is a different style. Index finger hole. Its small but a bit thick. Its a great little necker/belt knife and would do pretty good as a SD knife. Its not scary looking. The ranger has a bigger finger hole . I like the warncliff and spearpoint versions because the hole is smaller. big enough to easily get your finger in there but small enough that you can open your hand up and the knife will stay locked onto your index finger. a very good trait to have when you think about actually being in a fight for your life and going to the ground or grappeling. But the blade is short and not good for poking. good ergos and no hot spots.

The Benchmade SOCP (single edge) is good. not as good ergos. edges aren't rounded as well. pricey for what you get but it will be effective for its intended purpose. sheath sucks though .

for all the FB knives I have bought over the years for EDC I have had to make my own sheaths for them tailored to the method of carry.

I have settled on the Ulticlip for the ringed FB I carry and clip the knife to my pocket and with a custom sheath and just the ring visible above the pocket edge I find it is very quick to obtain a solid grip and deploy the knife with basic motor skills needed . Just hook the index finger in the hole yank up and the rest of the handle falls into the palm and I have a solid icepick grip . this carry method is unobtrusive, non threatening and I havnt had anyone remark at all about what it is . goes unnoticed. whereas when I belt carry someone always asks if its a knife.

I am heading back to the SOCP SE 178 eventually. I need to really get going and contact CM. I really like that one shown above. almost exactly what I would want .

Max Venom PKM modified on waterjet to allow the ring to be used around the index finger.

oh wow that's very cool!!!

have looked at the PKM a lot but never pulled the trigger. seemed to thick behind the edge and with the curve not good for "poking" I would jump on it if it looked like that one without hesitation though!!

If you ever consider selling it let me know.

Hence another reason why I want a ringed fixed blade. Rear ringed so the risk of dropping it or it getting taken away are far less.

As for training - nope but I’m a Neanderthal so not too worried. Some YouTube vids and I should be set. Lol

I have recently found Boker GITFO designed by American Kami - it’s inter

Hence another reason why I want a ringed fixed blade. Rear ringed so the risk of dropping it or it getting taken away are far less.

As for training - nope but I’m a Neanderthal so not too worried. Some YouTube vids and I should be set. Lol

I have recently found Boker GITFO designed by American Kami - it’s inter
At least take a look at the Shivworks stuff. Craig Douglas has an intuitive and useable system even if you don't have a background in a specific martial art. Come over to Prac-tac. Lots of advice there, and some of it even makes sense.

oh wow that's very cool!!!

have looked at the PKM a lot but never pulled the trigger. seemed to thick behind the edge and with the curve not good for "poking" I would jump on it if it looked like that one without hesitation though!!

If you ever consider selling it let me know.
I no longer have it, sadly. I have a design in the works that is based on it that I intend to have available next year. You are right, it was very thick behind the edge, but I was able to get it hair scraping (not quite shaving) sharp. The curve doesn't impede thrusting at all, even in factory form. The PKM is a solid little blade, even without modification. I recommend it.

I have been on this journey for quite some time now. I have tried as many "ringed" knives as I can afford . some are good others not so much . I will relate my own experiences/opinions that I have arrived at over this time and also show you a cpl pics of what I am carrying right now though its already shaping up to being relegated to storage soon. Its the Toor Knives "Jank Shank". Not really loving it so far. No rounded edges its all sharp and hot spots everywhere. the overall length is good at 6" but am not having an easy time re programing to using my middle finger through the hole and its not as secure a grip. it is nice and pointy though. steel is S35Vn. but more thought needs to be put into the ergos. the stock sheath it comes with sucks big time. Ulticlip is the new small version.
yd4A0pA.jpg

bcX4lph.jpg

The Bastinelli models are ok. the one thing they get right is everything is rounded and chamfered no hot spots. good ergos. the problem is the Picouer is a tiny blade that would have barely any effect against an aggressor also if you have big hands there is not enough room for a solid grip where you hand doesn't contact the edge. and the one I had wasn't even sharp. the little Karambit picouer is better. Its a chisel grind . good luck sharpening that little sucker. it has more handle which is good. buts its only a slasher.

The Brous silent soldier is a different style. Index finger hole. Its small but a bit thick. Its a great little necker/belt knife and would do pretty good as a SD knife. Its not scary looking. The ranger has a bigger finger hole . I like the warncliff and spearpoint versions because the hole is smaller. big enough to easily get your finger in there but small enough that you can open your hand up and the knife will stay locked onto your index finger. a very good trait to have when you think about actually being in a fight for your life and going to the ground or grappeling. But the blade is short and not good for poking. good ergos and no hot spots.

The Benchmade SOCP (single edge) is good. not as good ergos. edges aren't rounded as well. pricey for what you get but it will be effective for its intended purpose. sheath sucks though .

for all the FB knives I have bought over the years for EDC I have had to make my own sheaths for them tailored to the method of carry.

I have settled on the Ulticlip for the ringed FB I carry and clip the knife to my pocket and with a custom sheath and just the ring visible above the pocket edge I find it is very quick to obtain a solid grip and deploy the knife with basic motor skills needed . Just hook the index finger in the hole yank up and the rest of the handle falls into the palm and I have a solid icepick grip . this carry method is unobtrusive, non threatening and I havnt had anyone remark at all about what it is . goes unnoticed. whereas when I belt carry someone always asks if its a knife.

I am heading back to the SOCP SE 178 eventually. I need to really get going and contact CM. I really like that one shown above. almost exactly what I would want .
I've been interested in those Jank Shanks for a while but havent been able to get one yet.

Back