RIP Tony Bose

Here are a couple of pictures of Tony. I think Kerry Hampton took the one of him sitting in his chair polishing a knife. He had a great sense of humor as well. I tried loading the Knife World article I wrote about him in 2009, but no luck so far. He loved vintage knives.
33LMMR4.jpg
bfJ2eLa.jpg

dJ3r1nJ.jpg

A greater ambassador to the traditional knife world? Certainly not in recent times. His designs and partnership with Case injected an enthusiasm in the traditional knife market, making knife collecting exciting again. A consummate craftsman, and all-around good guy. R.I.P. Tony...

I’d like to post this here too if I may.

I met Tony some 35 years ago. That was before the Internet. I was talking to Bill Keaton about a pocket knife and he told me that if I wanted the best pocket knife made I should talk to some Tony Bose. And to make sure to ask for 440V blades. I called Tony from Ecuador where I was working for Philip Morris. I remember that we laughed a lot during that conversation before we agreed on the knife he’d make for me. It is, as I still have it, a small gentleman’s knife with black Micarta scales..., and 440V blade. Throughout the years I have skinned many a deer with that little knife as well as dressed many, many doves and ducks.

We kept in touch since, I finally met him in Atlanta at the knife show. He had made a knife for me and told me that if I wanted it I had to pick it up in Atlanta. By then I had several of his knives as I knew I couldn’t get a better knife if I tried. In Atlanta we went to dinner with the Case big boys and had a great time. We last met last year when I went to visit him at his home in Shelburn. We last talked on the phone yesterday and today I received an email with a picture of another choke tube he had made for me.

Very seldom one has the opportunity to meet someone with the extraordinary kindness and human mettle as Tony. Tony was a truly exceptional man. Deeply in love with Karen, his little dumpling, his beautiful wife, companion, best friend. Tony was a family man. I don’t think he ever recovered from the death of one of his sons a few years ago in a tragic car accident. He raised Reese to be a solid man, a trustworthy, hardworking man who inherited his father’s talent and work ethic.

There are powerful men, rich men, captains of industry, rulers of empires, and then there is the virtuous man. Tony Bose was a virtuous man. A superior man because of his integrity, character, and deeply noble soul. I’ll think of Tony every day, and I’ll miss him every day. I hope Old Dawg, Wizard, that there is a Heaven because if there is you’ll be one of the few souls deserving a restful peace forever. Much, much love, brother man.

- a great loss to the knife world, not just the knives he made, but what he stood for and how he shared so selflessly. A great man indeed.

Always amazes me, still, that you can see a photo of some folders and almost immediately tell which is a Bose.

RIP, wonderful fella

I’d like to post this here too if I may.

I met Tony some 35 years ago. That was before the Internet. I was talking to Bill Keaton about a pocket knife and he told me that if I wanted the best pocket knife made I should talk to some Tony Bose. And to make sure to ask for 440V blades. I called Tony from Ecuador where I was working for Philip Morris. I remember that we laughed a lot during that conversation before we agreed on the knife he’d make for me. It is, as I still have it, a small gentleman’s knife with black Micarta scales..., and 440V blade. Throughout the years I have skinned many a deer with that little knife as well as dressed many, many doves and ducks.

We kept in touch since, I finally met him in Atlanta at the knife show. He had made a knife for me and told me that if I wanted it I had to pick it up in Atlanta. By then I had several of his knives as I knew I couldn’t get a better knife if I tried. In Atlanta we went to dinner with the Case big boys and had a great time. We last met last year when I went to visit him at his home in Shelburn. We last talked on the phone yesterday and today I received an email with a picture of another choke tube he had made for me.

Very seldom one has the opportunity to meet someone with the extraordinary kindness and human mettle as Tony. Tony was a truly exceptional man. Deeply in love with Karen, his little dumpling, his beautiful wife, companion, best friend. Tony was a family man. I don’t think he ever recovered from the death of one of his sons a few years ago in a tragic car accident. He raised Reese to be a solid man, a trustworthy, hardworking man who inherited his father’s talent and work ethic.

There are powerful men, rich men, captains of industry, rulers of empires, and then there is the virtuous man. Tony Bose was a virtuous man. A superior man because of his integrity, character, and deeply noble soul. I’ll think of Tony every day, and I’ll miss him every day. I hope Old Dawg, Wizard, that there is a Heaven because if there is you’ll be one of the few souls deserving a restful peace forever. Much, much love, brother man.

Thank you for that outstanding post :thumbsup:

Perhaps the last jewel from Tony. He called me on Saturday night to tell me he had just finished it. On Sunday morning he sent me the pictures below. Shortly after I heard the terrible news. I only have a daughter, but if I’m blessed with a grandson I’ll try to make of him nearly as good a man as Tony, the Old Dawg.
49936213-C6AF-41D9-AC2B-CBEDDC30361B.jpeg 34EDE22D-577E-48C4-A6BA-F941EE06A9A2.jpeg

I know that Tony didn't post here on The Porch much, but I remember being thrilled when he contributed to one of the first threads I posted here, asking how folks defined a handmade knife :)

"I think the blade should be held in your hands and ground. Anyone can learn the mechanics of a knife but not so with freehand grinding. It has to be learned over time and practice to be able to belly up to that grinder and predict what you are going to do then be able to do it again. I've seen some very smart men step up and try it without sucess. You can't out smart that grinder. The more hand work you put into a knife the more of a handmade knife it is. They can do whatever else they want but for me they have to grind the blade."

Very eloquent, and that phrase "belly up to the grinder" is one I've never forgotten :)

I know that Tony didn't post here on The Porch much, but I remember being thrilled when he contributed to one of the first threads I posted here, asking how folks defined a handmade knife :)

"I think the blade should be held in your hands and ground. Anyone can learn the mechanics of a knife but not so with freehand grinding. It has to be learned over time and practice to be able to belly up to that grinder and predict what you are going to do then be able to do it again. I've seen some very smart men step up and try it without sucess. You can't out smart that grinder. The more hand work you put into a knife the more of a handmade knife it is. They can do whatever else they want but for me they have to grind the blade."

Very eloquent, and that phrase "belly up to the grinder" is one I've never forgotten :)

And getting those beautiful lines and swedges by hand... and with only one eye. He is the master. The Wiz.

Back