Rockstead Knowledge Thread

We all know a sharp knife is a useful knife but I gotta say...this Chou is insanely sharp and therefore my latest edc.

Did one push cut of this 1/2" marine grade poly cord and one pull cut with ease.
Just for comparison sake I tried the same simple test with my other knives in 3v, 1095, titanium w/carbidized edge, s35v, and cts-xhp. None of them performed even close. Yes, different grinds will perform differently and this by no means was more than just a quick and dirty comparison.

I'm telling you what, if I needed an all-arounder and even in a survival situation, I would choose a Rockstead. My Sebenza would be there too.

z9qdBKN.jpg

Glad to see its still serving you well:thumbup:

I have another Rocky arriving tomorrow:) They're addicting knives!

Glad to see its still serving you well:thumbup:

I have another Rocky arriving tomorrow:) They're addicting knives!

Oh boy...I think I'm going to take your advice and sell off some other knives to purchase a Higo. I'm on the hunt right now. Thanks for your input. You've been a large part of why I now understand Rocky's.

Terrible pictures of a great knife. And one attempt at a glamour shot:p. Pretty darn happy with it (the knife, not the photos). Well built, extremely smooth, and beautiful (in my opinion). I'd been looking at these for a long time. We can thank Blues Bender for pushing me over the edge with his great reviews and comments:thumbup:. This is the Higo with the ZDP blade and ironwood scales. It came with a nice leather sheath which I just stick in my pocket because anything I wear on the outside seems to get sheared off at some point. The registration paper that came with it had an erroneous blade/knife number. I mentioned that when registering the knife and the next morning had an email asking me about it. The next email let me know that the correct registration paper was on its way (from Japan). It arrived very quickly. Pretty nice service, I would say. I'm seriously eyeing the Chou for the not too distant future. Thanks. Mike

Oh boy...I think I'm going to take your advice and sell off some other knives to purchase a Higo. I'm on the hunt right now. Thanks for your input. You've been a large part of why I now understand Rocky's.

If you get a Higo, ask what grind it has before you get it. Your Chou has a Shinogizukuri grind, I am about to try that grind out on the Chi tomorrow.

I've seen Higo's in both the Shinogizukuri and Honzukuri grind, and I've never seen a dealer list what grind it has so beware. Personally, I want to experience both grinds:)

I'm glad I could help! I love talking Rockys, they aren't mentioned too much.

Holy s**t Mike!:eek: That's a beauty!!!

Glad to hear you like it. I'm head-over-heels about my Higo X, I hope you are too:D

What's ridiculous is that, given the competition in the price range, they represent excellent value - as if that was even a fair term to use. Who else does anything even close to what they do? What other manufacturer can you get a hand-finished 65+ HRC folder from? What custom maker could keep themselves from laughing out loud if you asked them to put a mirror polish on a ZDP-189 blade with a fuller, make a framelock out of it, finish it perfectly, and sell it to you for less than two grand?

Thank you Blues Bender. Yep, my heart pounds every time I use it / have it out (which is often). I may try to make to the Blade show next year just to be able to handle more of them. Mike

What's ridiculous is that, given the competition in the price range, they represent excellent value - as if that was even a fair term to use. Who else does anything even close to what they do? What other manufacturer can you get a hand-finished 65+ HRC folder from? What custom maker could keep themselves from laughing out loud if you asked them to put a mirror polish on a ZDP-189 blade with a fuller, make a framelock out of it, finish it perfectly, and sell it to you for less than two grand?

Even for under 1 grand! The Higo's are $750 (YXR7) and $850 (ZDP-189) which gives you a 3.5" blade. The Hizen's are identical, but slightly smaller (2.875" blade) and cheaper. There are Sebenzas that run in those price ranges, and I'd take another Rocky before another CRK (I still love CRK though!).

If you get a Higo, ask what grind it has before you get it. Your Chou has a Shinogizukuri grind, I am about to try that grind out on the Chi tomorrow.

I've seen Higo's in both the Shinogizukuri and Honzukuri grind, and I've never seen a dealer list what grind it has so beware. Personally, I want to experience both grinds:)

I'm glad I could help! I love talking Rockys, they aren't mentioned too much.

Thanks for the tip. I guess they don't advertise that kind of stuff. Appreciate it. I'll find out if its Shino or Honzu first.

Terrible pictures of a great knife. And one attempt at a glamour shot:p. Pretty darn happy with it (the knife, not the photos). Well built, extremely smooth, and beautiful (in my opinion). I'd been looking at these for a long time. We can thank Blues Bender for pushing me over the edge with his great reviews and comments:thumbup:. This is the Higo with the ZDP blade and ironwood scales. It came with a nice leather sheath which I just stick in my pocket because anything I wear on the outside seems to get sheared off at some point. The registration paper that came with it had an erroneous blade/knife number. I mentioned that when registering the knife and the next morning had an email asking me about it. The next email let me know that the correct registration paper was on its way (from Japan). It arrived very quickly. Pretty nice service, I would say. I'm seriously eyeing the Chou for the not too distant future. Thanks. Mike

That's a beautiful knife Mike. Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us.

My pleasure, Bladeninja. It's always fun to share sharp shiny objects and Rockstead makes some of the sharpest and shiniest. Mike

Got the Hizen here. Love the wooden scales on those Higos but the no pocket clip was a deal breaker for me. They are all such cool knives.

I just got my Chi, and I'm freakin' blown away! I needed to catch my breath after witnessing Rocky's tanto grind:eek: Pictures do no justice, this grind is the best I've ever seen!

F63C7697-D192-4B55-923C-A2593C608E2B_zpswpfnjsvb.jpg

One thing I've been confused about: are the Higo and Hizen fully zero convex ground or are they convex with a secondary bevel? It looks like the latter to me.

One thing I've been confused about: are the Higo and Hizen fully zero convex ground or are they convex with a secondary bevel? It looks like the latter to me.

Both. BronxIrons has the secondary convex bevel (Shinogizukuri), mine and Mike's has the single convex bevel (Honzukuri).

Back