Rockstead Knowledge Thread

i think I've owned more than 8, I miss them all :)

21E0E779-CA8D-4AB5-A90D-E8CAC833FE54_zps9eftjb8h.jpg

D4C74A89-6C3F-4605-937F-E6B0A7AAD24B_zps7ai0dn1y.jpg

840D6EB8-F136-4B6C-8FD3-1E04E560C710_zpsobcbep3b.jpg

A7FEC1D8-2201-403C-84BB-99519A18AA77_zpsuuu52oas.jpg

C0A5313D-ACE3-438A-848B-AC91FCB98ADC_zpszalxu2za.jpg

EB957FAC-D543-4316-9DA5-98910F0512FF_zpsbgusynxw.jpg

650ED8FD-64C4-46BA-A6FA-A5DA7806630E-21717-00000D88A12AF22C_zps558e595e.jpg

Blues Bender truely reflects my sentiments almost to the word - and probably said it better and more concisely than I would have.

Having carried pocket knives (in my pockets) long before clips were invented, I hated clips when they first came out and took them off of every knife that later came with one. I thought they were ugly, added unnecessary clutter to the knife, got in the way, shredded the pocket edge, let everyone know that your were carrying a knife, scratched everything I bumped into in my daily stumbling about, and were generally a klugey idea. The trouble was that every pair of pants I had, eventually had a hole worn in the pocket because of the constant presence of a knife. I still don't like clips, but generally carry knives with clips mostly because I prefer ragged pocket edges to holes in my pockets.

I prefer not to carry things on my belt for similar reasons to not wanting to use clips, though it does make access very convenient. I am sort of a busy bee klutz and things worn on my belt are subject to numerous collisions (often the same with watches).

I purchased my Higo for the same reasons Blues Bender did, though I'm probably a much lighter user than he is. Also like Blues Bender, I will most likely have another Rockstead in the not too distant future, and it will probably have a clip on it (unless the Chou is next).

So, I say get what ever you'll be happiest using now, because you'll probably want to experience another one down the road. (I stayed up way too late last night looking at all the pictures and specifications for just about every Rockstead made. I fear I'm really starting to fall.:))

Hey Mike. Question for you and Blues Bender and whoever else has an opinion on this...

I'm trying to decide which Higo to get. The one in Duralumin or Ironwood scales.
What were the deciding factors for your decision to buy the one in Ironwood?
I'm accustomed to pocket clips but could learn to change. Also do you feel liner locks are inherently stronger than frame locks and less likely to fail?

...I stayed up way too late last night looking at all the pictures and specifications for just about every Rockstead made. I fear I'm really starting to fall.:)

Hah! I remember a few months ago, I couldn't tell one model from another and almost all of them looked the same to me:D Now I know all the names, sizes, grinds, etc.

I'm really wanting a Ryo and a Shun!...

...and a Don, and a Sai, and a Tei, and a duralumin Higo, and a micarta Higo, and maybe even the Shu too;):D

...hell, I want em' all!!!:D

It's hard for me to want anything else now that I've experienced Rocksteads. I plan on making a lengthy review of my Chi and Higo sometime soon, but there's just so much to write about! Perhaps I'll do a video:D

This thread is making me change all my knife acquisition plans. I love the look of that convex grind.
I am doing lots of math to figure out how I can scrap together enough cash to buy one.

Blues bender, if you do make a video, make it a long one...:D

What's ridiculous is that, given the competition in the price range, they represent excellent value - as if that was even a fair term to use. Who else does anything even close to what they do? What other manufacturer can you get a hand-finished 65+ HRC folder from? What custom maker could keep themselves from laughing out loud if you asked them to put a mirror polish on a ZDP-189 blade with a fuller, make a framelock out of it, finish it perfectly, and sell it to you for less than two grand?
What's interesting is there are some really respected makers like Gavko that love their Rockstead!

Seeing those photos, Bladeninja, give me a huge case of want. I don't thing heroin addicts have anything on me. Mike

Anything new with that Chi Bluesbender? How's it been so far?

I'm loving it! The tanto grind is really something special. The entire edge has a bit of belly to it, rather than 2 straight edges like most modified tantos.

I took it apart to increase the tension on the clip, since it was too light for my taste. The internals were very clean and well-fit. I noticed the handles had some numbers engraved into them; "68". I assume this is to match them up to ensure the most accurate fit possible.

I'm entirely impressed with the Chi so far, it's an incredible knife. Rocksteads tanto grind is unique from other tantos, and really needs to be seen in person to fully appreciate this grind. This one will be in my pocket for a while:)

46409278-6D4F-456C-BB8D-40BD086738BB_zps7vnsfw0x.jpg

Has anyone sharpened there Rockstead more then the recommended stroping with abrasives such asDiamonds, Sandpaper, Stones?

Seeing those photos, Bladeninja, give me a huge case of want. I don't thing heroin addicts have anything on me. Mike

I'm in business attire part of the week so the Chou really fit the bill in terms of edc. I don't notice it's there and the added benefit of not having a clip just makes my appearance maintain a level of professionalism.

Since I started this post and have been using the Chou on a regular basis, I've sold off my non users and customs.
My next will be the Higo and is a must have and will be a user. I've been blind for way too long and this Rockstead Mike has changed the way I think.
There is more enjoyment in using these and admiring them at the same time. Where as before, it was just the latter. Big difference. I know you agree.

Has anyone sharpened there Rockstead more then the recommended stroping with abrasives such asDiamonds, Sandpaper, Stones?

Yep, a combination of fine-grit sandpaper on a soft medium, ceramic stones, and a strop is how I maintain mine. I've banged the tip of my Higo against concrete and steel before, resulting in absolute dullness. I've restored the sharpness multiple times.

Blues Bender, I see what looks like some residue on the screw holes, were they loctited?

Yes, it was white loctite which I've never seen before. Also, the "imperfection" in the pivot area of the right-side scale is just oil. It almost appears as if the coating is peeling in the pic; it's not.:)

Yep, a combination of fine-grit sandpaper on a soft medium, ceramic stones, and a strop is how I maintain mine. I've banged the tip of my Higo against concrete and steel before, resulting in absolute dullness. I've restored the sharpness multiple times.

Yes, it was white loctite which I've never seen before. Also, the "imperfection" in the pivot area of the right-side scale is just oil. It almost appears as if the coating is peeling in the pic; it's not.:)
Thx Blues

We're you able to sharpen it past factory sharp?
Machining a Rockstead blade:

Hand sharpening process with silicon carbide wet & dry paper:

Wow awesome,

Why wet/dry sandpaper vs waterstones?

Back