Rockstead Knowledge Thread

I just noticed that I can open, using only one hand, the Shu using the fuller as a sort of nail nick along the lines of the old school or Damascus Mnandi. Is this also the case on any of the other Rockstead Folders?

Last edited:
Finally bought a Rockstead Higo, not the ZDP version but its what I could afford at the time. Its too damn pretty to use! The high gloss finish, the smoothness. I get it all now. But I dont want to use it. I am continuously fondling it but it hasnt even touched my denim yet. Is this normal? I have more expensive knives, I have bulkier and tougher knives for sure. Just seems like a waste to mess it up. I also dont know where to find this magic compound to touch up the edge.

Hi, I just purchased my first, a Prism coated Ryo. What a gorgeous knife! I had been wanting one since I first saw a Ryo in a photo about a year ago. I was in the process of selling all of my non-EDC knives (mostly CRK’s) along with a few other odds and ends. I’m now down to a PJ small Sebenza 21 Insingo (95% of my pocket time) and a few knives that I can’t sell because they were gifts, along with a few mini pocket knives that aren’t worth the effort to sell (ladybugs, roadie, SAK’s).

OK, now for my question. I’m still on the fence with the RYO. It’s a bit bigger and heavier than I’d expected. The handle is thicker and extends further beyond the knife tip when closed than I’d realized. The clip isn’t an issue for me because most of the time I keep my knives fully in my pocket so the recessed clip is a welcome feature. I’m interested in a Hizen ZDP either as a second Rockstead or to replace the RYO. It seems the Hizen is a closer approximation to the size of a small Sebenza? I’ve been looking for a Hizen ZDP but haven’t found any available from a US based seller. Can anyone point me to a listing of the authorized dealers in the US? Or, alternatively, know of a dealer with stock? (I’ve read the rules and didn’t see this question to be a violation) Please accept my apology if this question has already been answered or is a rules violation. Thanks, Gary

The only authorized Rockstead dealers in the US are bladehq, knifecenter, and forthenrycustomknives. It doesn't look like any have the ZDP Hizen in stock. Knifecenter has the YXR7 though.

Thanks for your response! I have looked at those 3. I just didn't know if there were any others. There isn't a dealer list on Rockstead's website that I could find. I've found one from some overseas dealers, but I've never purchased a knife from outside the US.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Rockstead from this group!

Congrats! Is that the Shin? If you get the chance could you post a pic from the top showing the thickness of the handle. I love my Ryo, but I’m looking for something a little thinner that lays flatter in your pocket.

Yes, it’s a Shin. I will post a top view pic for you shortly... sadly, I’m already going to have to send it in. After just opening it a few times today, the pivot must have become loose. Now there is blade play when it is open and closed

I'd be kinda bummed to have to send such an expensive knife to japan over bladeplay...seems like something that should be flawlessly done everytime. I'm interested in rockstead but this is not the first time I've heard of someone having this problem.

Just learned about Rockstead Knives a week ago, and now have a new Rockstead Un in my hands. It lives up to the hype, I must say. I can usually find some flaw with every knife I buy, custom or not, and this knife so far has no flaw visible to me. It's a beauty. I have no images to show yet though, because I'm old and don't use the cloud storage stuff for personal pictures. Bear with me and I'll get pictures up somehow when I get a moment.

Hello. I've been following these posts and enjoying everyone's pics, experiences, info, etc.. I thought I'd contribute. I have a Kou in ZDP. I didn't carry/use it much, but then I loaned it to a friend for him to use and to see what effects there would be from his use. This was some time ago.
Based on his use and how well it held up, I decided to use it as my EDC folder and have carried/used it since. When he returned it there were a couple of "nicks" in the edge I could feel with my finger nail, but couldn't see.
I don't use it for anything that would be considered abuse. During this time, I've used very fine grit wet/dry sandpaper and a strop w/diamond paste. I haven't really been too concerned with scratches in the mirror finish (there are very light/fine scratches in the mirror finish when light is shined on it at certain angles).
Current condition is the blade edge is as sharp or sharper than when I received it new. No perceptible nicks. Pops hairs and very smoothly cuts phone book paper. No "blade play". Also, the handle finish has held up very, very well (would have to really look it over to see a couple of dings).
I'm very impressed with this knife and would definitely recommend it. I have quite a few "high end" knives and the last thing I "need" is another knife. However, I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing another Rockstead folder.
Last comment, I don't want to imply that everyone would have the same positive ownership/use experience. But, I definitely think Rockstead compares well with other "high end" folders. Thank you and best regards.

I didn't carry/use it much, but then I loaned it to a friend for him to use and to see what effects there would be from his use. This was some time ago.
Based on his use and how well it held up
You are a very generous trusting individual! I have a separate group of knives for letting others use on the rare occasions I loan one out

Old pictures for the new year:
blVmeVA.jpg

YuatK1k.jpg

GuIXE4j.jpg

I've stropped it using my leather-on-wood strop with compound and that alone has kept it as sharp as ever.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Back 8n Dec, I had to send my Higo back to Japan. For some reason, the liner broke where the relief cut is. Totally confused on the reason but I bought it during the 1st quarter of 2018 and started carrying it pretty regularly. I have used it a lot but no abuse whatsoever. When the break occured, I reached out to Mr Ishidia & after i sent some pics to him & my registration paperwork. He had me send it to him and they replaced both liners + ironwood scales. Got the Higo back last week and I'm very happy with their customer service. So, thought I'd share my experience on a warranty issue. Hope everyone has been doing great!

Hi everyone. Back 8n Dec, I had to send my Higo back to Japan. For some reason, the liner broke where the relief cut is. Totally confused on the reason but I bought it during the 1st quarter of 2018 and started carrying it pretty regularly. I have used it a lot but no abuse whatsoever. When the break occured, I reached out to Mr Ishidia & after i sent some pics to him & my registration paperwork. He had me send it to him and they replaced both liners + ironwood scales. Got the Higo back last week and I'm very happy with their customer service. So, thought I'd share my experience on a warranty issue. Hope everyone has been doing great!
How long did the process take altogether?

Back