Rockstead Knowledge Thread

What’s the difference between the Higo and Higo II ? Thanks in advance as I’m on the fence but man it’s one sexy knife !
Trying to decide between the Higo II AND The Shin both being ZDP 189
The handle of the original Higo Was made of Duraluminum while the Higo II’s is made of titanium

The handle of the original Higo Was made of Duraluminum while the Higo II’s is made of titanium
Thank you!
I’m actually now starting to lean towards the Shin now as the handles/grip looks like it would be more comfortable.

The SHU has a titanium handle and ZDP 189 blade and is extremely comfortable in the hand- and I usually don’t like finger choils

Well guys, I caught the bug. It started off innocently enough. Got a DLC Chou as a small part of a multi knife trade just so the other guy could even the value out. Didn’t think much of it.

Then it showed up. I ordered a Higo less than 3 hours later. The Higo arrived today. I’m equal parts smitten and intimidated. I sharpen on a Wicked Edge. Have been for years. No qualms about throwing an $800 Strider, Dwyer or Shiro in the clamp and going to town. I’m confident in my technique and even do a little work for other people when my schedule allows it.

Well, the Higo is a convex zero grind. I knew that going in. It’s why I bought it. To challenge myself. I know I cannot sharpen it on the wicked edge. My hand stripping skills are decent. Right now I have two smooth leather strops. One 3 micron diamond, the other is one micron diamond. I also have an especially nappy strop lightly loaded with 3 micron that I use for final bur removal on chisel edge knives.

I’ve read most of the thread, and the sandpaper terrifies me. I’ve decided to use the Chou as the sacrificial lamb in this endeavor and have been using it as my work knife. Nothing serious. Heat shrink, opening parts bags, box tape and cable stripping.

I want to say thanks for all the knowledge you fellas have bestowed upon this corner of the internet and ask for guidance in how I should approach the sharpening. I saw videos mentioned early on, but the links did not work for me.

Hello. Congrats on your Rocksteads.
I had a ZDP Kou and ended up just hitting the apex with a diamond plate. Then multiple passes on 2000 grit sandpaper. Ofcourse, it didn't look anywhere near New, but it was super sharp and looked good enough as a user. Gifted it to my daughter.
Currently have a ZDP Chi and a couple of Chous.
When the time comes it is needed, I'll do the same with these. Works for me.
Best regards and God bless

I used my SHU to score particle board not thinking that was something I shouldn’t be doing with a steel as hard as ZDP189 and chipped off less than 1mm of the tip. I attempted to strop it out with diamond paste which unsurprisingly made little improvement. I then used sandpaper-possibly 1000 or so grit and the tip was restored and then stropped it. It’s still as sharp as you would expect of a Rockstead and I can still see my reflection in it but it is very obviously scuffed.

Considering getting a TI Higo II.
I want a dlc blade, already own a Higo IW in ZDP.
Not a big fan of the coated aluminium.

If I could, I'd get a Sai in DLC, but those are non existent 😞
With the DLC blade, that'd be the perfect knife for me.

That said:
I don't like pocket clips. I live in Europe and carry my knives deep in my pocket.

Does anyone have a picture of what the Higo I or II looks like without the clip?

Does anyone here own a Ritsu ZDP?
Not sure whether the entire blade is made of ZDP189 or just the ZDP core clad in a much softer material.
Rockstead Ritsu-ZDP webpage doesn't make it clear, unlike UN-ZDP which clearly states that the blade is ZDP core clad in ATS34.

EDIT: Notified Rockstead about the outdated info displayed on their products webpage. Now they display their product info correctly and up to date. Both Ritzu-ZDP and UN-ZDP blades are made of a single piece ZDP189 without any class. The older versions of UN-ZDP clad their ZDP core with ATS34 stainless steel. But this is no longer the case in the current version.

Last edited:
Definitely appears to be a single solid piece.

7GWds7w.jpg

Thinking about picking up a chi on the secondary and have never owned a rockstead. Just curious if it’s possible to disassemble?

I'm looking at a chou, but I'm wondering how good of a grip you can get on a handle that small. How does the ergonomics feel on that? I have medium sized hands.

I'm looking at a chou, but I'm wondering how good of a grip you can get on a handle that small. How does the ergonomics feel on that? I have medium sized hands.
I have large hands and get 3 fingers on it. Haven't found many uses for it though and will most likely pass it along in the near future. I bought it as an intro to the brand and it didn't take long to order a Higo after owning the Chou. It makes a great appetizer.

This is a little hard to watch, but if you ever need to baton bricks with your Rockstead, sleep easy.

Thanks to the OP “Cod Rad” in the Facebook Rockstead Owners Universe group for sniffing this out.

Ever wonder what’s under the handle of the Ritsu? You’re about to find out…

Last edited:
Has anyone disassembled their Shin?

I'm curious about self maintenance..

Looking to purchase a SaiT zdp prism or a Tei zdp ATS34 clad. What knife would the good and knowledgeable folk here recommend between the two models please. Are the newer style of folders a better buy or is the Tei still the reining king of rockstead folders?

Thanks

Back